problem with self employed staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss amy

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I am looking for a little help please!

I opened my hair salon in september and after 2 weeks I was relatively busy so decided to take on a rent a chair. The deal was a 50/50 split, i provide all stock and bills are covered by me, the cut off point was £200 pw. As the salon is new I didnt think it was right to be asking for a set rent per week and they provide their own stock so the 50/50 seemed the best idea at the time.
Now I already had a decent cleintele but due to me being employed at my last salon there was only so much i could do re contacting old clients( I went to see an epmloyment solicitior to see what my rights were) having sai this i still need to build up my own clientele so I said that new clients and walkins would be divided between me and the rent a chair girl who had no clients from her old salon as she had been travelling for 4 months and they had gone elsewhere in the mean time.
All was well for a few months then she began moaning that I was busier than her and telling me I should move my request clients over to her to make her busier, that she could rean more working at f****** asda ( bear in mind she was working 4 days and never took home less that £180 per week and had no stock to buy etc on average she was probably taking home about £200-£250 pw some weeks after she had paid me she was still getting £400 pw! wouldnt help out if i was busy as she is self employed so why should she, didnt go out flyering & said its my responsibility to make her busy!
I kept pointing out that its a new salon and that it takes time to build up etc but in the end i asked her to leave as nicely as i could by saying that if she wasn't happy in the the run up to xmas when its busy I dont think there will be enough work in jan feb. She said she would love to carry on working here and get a part time job and just do a couple of days, in the end we left it that i would phone her if i needed her. Now she is dragging her heels, wouldnt give me my key back and is coming in today as apparently we need to talk. Her attitude has really annoyed me and i cant work with her I want her to leave but she is just not getting it! Its an awful situation and could use a bit of advice!
Cheers geeks :Kissing: xx

The way I see it from what you've said is this:

If she's self employed then she's running her own business and is therefore responsible for getting her own clients. Not taking or being given yours.

If she can't be bothered to help you out then, really, why should it all be one way, from you to her?

She's been given a really good opportunity there and she basically sounds like she just doesn't want it, or wants it all handed to her on a plate without having to lift a finger.

Having said that, if you want her to leave you need to tell her that more specifically, not just "I'll call you if I need you." To me that sounds like you're going to give her another chance, and if you don't want to give her another chance you need to make that quite clear to her.

Good luck with it, keep us posted! :hug:

the problem with this situation is that you've done it on a verbal contract. What you would probably do better is to actually draw up a contract stating exactly what she is getting for her money.
Also include what you will do for her, and what she does for you.

Having it written down in black and white (sorry just typed ****e) stops this blurriness of lines. She has obviously misinterpreted what you have said.

Get her to sign the contract and if she doesn;t want to then she knows that she is out of a job.

You also need to indicate how many days/per rent she wants to do.

hth

Yep, defo get a contract organised asap if she wants to stay.

Esp if she thinks by being self employed you should be getting her clients and she doesn't have to do anything. What the?

Dread to think what she'd be like if she decided to open her own business.

i know how you feel i have been there, i would never take on self employed again. i have employed staff now with a contract. i am not saying all self employed people who work on % or rent rooms, chairs etc are bad, but the ones i had took the mick and just like yours wanted everything, and wasn't willing to put any effort into anything and thought they could just come and go as they please. when she comes in you need to get those keys!
take it as a leason learnt and get contracts for the next one. goodluck

I'm self employed but pay rent. The rent includes all leccy, heating, etc. The staff in the hairdressers takes my appointments if I'm not in. I have my leaflets on display downstairs and can put laminated posters up to promote myself. I can also go into the Hairdressers and promote myself.

I do everything else, I do my own publicity, my own biz cards, etc. I do my own leaflet drops, and if I don't get bums on seats and backs on couches, I lose money as the rent needs covering before I earn anything. This week I've covered my rent and earned £2.

If you are supplying all the products and are stipulating when the person concerned should be there I cannot understand why she is self employed and not employed. I thought that under the Inland Revenue guidelines she should be employed.

actually Oey, I think I've heard that before.

Self-employed status is for people who are freelance and work at various places on an ad hoc basis. Once they go to the same venue for set hours eg every Tuesday 9-3pm that is classed as employed.

That came from an accountants mouth as I worked in a therapy centre where we were all self-employed, including the reception staff. The receptions staff HAD to declare employment status as they were breaking the law. All the therapists remained S/E as we had no guarantee of work.

actually Oey, I think I've heard that before.

Self-employed status is for people who are freelance and work at various places on an ad hoc basis. Once they go to the same venue for set hours eg every Tuesday 9-3pm that is classed as employed.

That came from an accountants mouth as I worked in a therapy centre where we were all self-employed, including the reception staff. The receptions staff HAD to declare employment status as they were breaking the law. All the therapists remained S/E as we had no guarantee of work.

I am sure that I read on the IR website that if the products are being supplied for you too then you should be classed as employed.

I could be wrong though.

so................

what happened then? when she came in for her 'chat'

i hope you demanded your key back and said contract terminated! Ungrateful little cow, wells that my opinion.

so................

what happened then? when she came in for her 'chat'

i hope you demanded your key back and said contract terminated! Ungrateful little cow, wells that my opinion.

yeah come on miss amy let us know how it was resolved as from what you said she wanted to have her cake and eat it too!

well........ i was dreading her coming in big time, she appeared mid afternoon, full of regret and begging for another chance. I said that I didnt think I could get past how she had spoken to me and the asda comment, she said she had taken on board what I had said about being self employed and she realised that its up to her to get her own clients in so she was gonna get some business cards printed etc. She was doing ok until she made the comment of '' I still think that you should move your requests over to me if your busy and I am quiet though'' that was the definite end for me.....see ya, can i have my keys please, this isn't going to work. Off she toddled. I felt like such a nasty person afterwards, I still do if I think about it for too long, I start to feel guilty!

Thanks for your help with it. I am now after a new rent a chair. How do you guys go about finding staff?xx

I think you were right going with your gut feeling :hug:

Why feel nasty? She probably hasn't given her own behaviour a second thought! :lol:

I think after a few days you will feel totally relieved by it all.

when you get the next member of staff you can start off afresh and set down groundrules before she/he starts.

perhaps have a job description to give the person and both sign and date it.

I also think you need to decide what YOU are offering them as part of the deal as you do seem a bit vague about your end of the bargain, so get it all written down and then you've got that to refer to if any gripes or complaints start.

good luck with your new year new start!

the way i see it is...if shes self employed..how the hell are you supposed to set her clientelle up? especially if she aint helping u out when u need it...

shes been given a good opportunity at ur salon, and shes acting like a spoiled brat who wants it all her own way.

sounds like a horrible situation to be in...

x.

hey rochelle, another Durham-ite!

Latest posts

Back