Problem with Shellac for one client - help needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jen86

Reaction score
Hi everyone

So i have had my mobile business since November and i regularly do Shellac manicures, i have not yet had a problem with any of my clients with it lifting and its always lasted very well, including on my self, sometimes 3+ weeks!

Anyway i did a brand new clients nails last bank holiday Monday and she has messaged me today saying that they are lifting. She also says that she has had shellac for 2 years and never had a problem. Well i remember her saying that her and her sister gets shellac of Amazon and i didn't get into the discussion with her that it was more than likely not genuine Shellac, (she was really nice and i had just turned up and didn't want to be negative straight away)
I did notice that her nails we damaged by this, very similar to this picture maybe not as bad (these are not her nails) and i cannot remember if i said to her or not that they looked like this, (i realized i should of, i normally do and im kicking myself! :( im not sure why i didn't?) I did lots of cuticle work with them and buffed slightly.

I have asked her for a picture.

What do i say to her without sounding like "well you shouldnt use fake stuff" i dont want to be rude.

Any help would be much appreciated! This hasn't happend before and im nervous about it :(

REMOVAL-Gel-Nail-Damage1-25-500x333.jpg

Last edited:
I would suggest maybe a rehab program for her nails, maybe ibx (if you have it), or CND RXX - mention its most likely due to the delamination of the natural nail underneath - and confirm she has been following all after care advice

Yes i do offer IBX i will offer her that. Im not sure how to mention that its possible the amazon brought "Shellac" has most likely damaged her nails and not genuine. I dont think she is going to accept it.
This is the picture she has sent me: She is asking if its because they were not sealed, but i most definitely sealed them, even 2 layers of top coat which i do with lecente glitter.

This has made me feel awful, :(
13153341_10154908488129199_1350323315_n.jpg

The previous removal(s) damaged them and there is probably not a decent base of nail for the Shellac to adhere to.

Don't feel awful it's not your fault X I would have subtly mentioned the damage may have caused issues during her first service and you may have been able to avoid as much disappointment but live and learn [emoji4]

I would just say "hi yes they were sealed, I did notice a fair amount of damage to your nails which would be what is causing the issues", and maybe offer a small discount on a ibx treatment and discuss the option of a rehab program until her nails are suitable for shellac (although if she does them herself she may not be dedicated enough to undergo a program)

I think I'm very gentle with clients but if I'd seen nails like this I'd have said how damaged they are possible reasons why.

I think the lifting is very likely to be due to the state of the nails but I'm unsure why you've buffed what are already extremely thin damaged nails when you don't need to buff with Shellac, EVER!?

I'm thinking maybe to try get rid of as much flaky/delaminated parts as possible and to try smooth the nail

I think the lifting is very likely to be due to the state of the nails but I'm unsure why you've buffed what are already extremely thin damaged nails when you don't need to buff with Shellac, EVER!?

The nails are clearly damaged. This could have been caused by the client picking off the gel polish, the polish not being soaked off for long enough, or buffing. If you look at contra-indications for treatment, this will help you give advice and treatment moving forwards. The nail plate should never be buffed, as it causes damage. Lifting is generally less likely to occur if the free edge is sealed after every gel polish coat (including base and top coats). It also helps to avoid lifting if you gently brush away the sticky layer, called the dispersion layer. What you had was a contra-indication of a damaged nail plate. It wouldn't be a case for you to refuse treatment, but explaining to the client what is wrong and giving the choice would be appropriate. If they were my nails I'd give them some TLC for a couple of weeks with regular cuticle oil!

Yes i do offer IBX i will offer her that. Im not sure how to mention that its possible the amazon brought "Shellac" has most likely damaged her nails and not genuine. I dont think she is going to accept it.
This is the picture she has sent me: She is asking if its because they were not sealed, but i most definitely sealed them, even 2 layers of top coat which i do with lecente glitter.

This has made me feel awful, :(
13153341_10154908488129199_1350323315_n.jpg

If you did these nails last bank holiday is this really a weeks growth as looks more like 3 weeks growth to me . I have never had anyones nails grow that much in a week !

The irony of the above poster posting on a thread involving fake shellac and damaged nails is not lost on me.

Thank you for your replies everyone.
In hindsight now I really should of spoken to her about them, the picture I posted of the damaged nails are not hers and are worse than hers were but the same kind of damage. I normally do voice my concerns but I was obviously having an off day!
I actually rang S2 yesterday and they have advised me to very lightly buff the nail surface to remove some flakiness.
Thanks everyone lesson learnt :)

Latest posts

Back