Problems with a member of staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divalou

Reaction score
Hi!

Ok so basically I have just opened a new business up, hair/nails/beauty and have employed several people including one girl who is working towards the end of her NVQ level 3 in hair. She's 18 and think she said she was more experienced than she actually is.
Anyway I am having a few problems with her such as on her first day she was about 20 mins late, then she was late about 6 times in the next 3 weeks. Twice i have found her taking all the money out of the till and counting it, I have had to re-do one of her clients, she has spoken back to me twice as if i were one of her friends or dirt on her shoe, she is constantly mopeing about the place with a "slapped-arse" look on her face and is constantly moaning she is tired because she has a second job in a bar, I also noticed that she tends to make stories up when in conversation with pretty much everyone.
I have sent her home early a few times because we havent been busy and have coped perfectly without her. I am also cutting her hours down during january as I cant see the point in paying someone for a job that i can do twice as well and for half the money.

So my problem is, do i keep her on? I dont just want to sack her because I dont like her but I also dont want to be stuck with her after her 3 month trial is up. As I am a first time boss, its quite difficult to know when to speak and when to not so I dont want to just come accross as a bitch.

What would you do?

It sounds to me as if you don't really want to keep her or need her?
18 year olds can have a bit of an attitude problem sometimes but half of it is a front because they are unsure of themselves.
Counting the till money DOES sound like a problem though and it would worry me. I know of a girl that used to do this a lot and she was messing around with the float etc. but thats not to say this girl is.
Have you issued her any verbal or written warnings? Do you have a contract with her?

Hi!

So my problem is, do i keep her on? I dont just want to sack her because I dont like her but I also dont want to be stuck with her after her 3 month trial is up. As I am a first time boss, its quite difficult to know when to speak and when to not so I dont want to just come accross as a bitch.

What would you do?

Thing is...its real hard to be nice and positive toward someone who you have a disliking for...as much as you try to hide it she will pick up on it...this in turn will have a negative response from her....i know you don't want to be mean or horrid, but is keeping her really being kind either...?

I would have a meeting with her, ask her if she is happy, is there anything you can do to help, where she See's herself in the salon.....etc....take it from there and then no-one can say you didn't try. x

she doesn't seem to be doing much to impress you considering she's on a 3 month trial!!!

I think you should do a review on all of the staff, call them in for a 10 minute chat 1 to 1 with you. In this review, ask if they are happy with their work and give out praise to the ones that deserve it.
when it is her turn listen to her first, then point out that she has been late on 7 occassions and ask that she doesn't do it again, bring up that she talked down to you infront of a client and you will not tolerate such behaviour and explain that she is still in her 3 month trial and you expect to see an improvement in her all round professionalism. Mark this down on her record because if you decide to let her go after her 3 month trial, you will have a record that you warned her to pull her socks up and that you have seen no marked improvement.

if she goes past her 3 month trial and deterioates in her professionalism, it will be more difficult to let her go.

me personally?? i would get rid of her,
take her to one side, explain that as shes been late etc, moping about, etc etc that this is obviousely not the job for her, and ask her to go, pay her up to the week or whatever you think is fair and wave goodbye to your problems

jmho hth x

take her to one side, explain that as shes been late etc, moping about, etc etc that this is obviousely not the job for her, and ask her to go, pay her up to the week or whatever you think is fair and wave goodbye to your problems

jmho hth x
Totally agree with this one. It could be just the shock she needs to make her a better employee at her next place.
But you should not put up with this, she doesn't suit and theres the end of it.
You'll find the atmosphere with be so much better when she goes.

she doesn't seem to be doing much to impress you considering she's on a 3 month trial!!!

I think you should do a review on all of the staff, call them in for a 10 minute chat 1 to 1 with you. In this review, ask if they are happy with their work and give out praise to the ones that deserve it.
when it is her turn listen to her first, then point out that she has been late on 7 occassions and ask that she doesn't do it again, bring up that she talked down to you infront of a client and you will not tolerate such behaviour and explain that she is still in her 3 month trial and you expect to see an improvement in her all round professionalism. Mark this down on her record because if you decide to let her go after her 3 month trial, you will have a record that you warned her to pull her socks up and that you have seen no marked improvement.

if she goes past her 3 month trial and deterioates in her professionalism, it will be more difficult to let her go.
I agree with this approach, but i would give her a warning also about counting the tills contents and ask for an explanation as to why she felt she had the right to do this in the first place hth

She doesnt sound right for your salon. The idea of a 12 week trial from a legal perspective means neither of you are tied to the position. I would let her go immediately, you are well within your legal rights. I would not worry about the 'bitch' aspect. First and foremost your business and other staff are your priority not her feelings, you didnt open a business to make friends :)

Good luck

I dont want to just come accross as a bitch.

Men don't have this problem and it's one reason why I like working for them. They'd just show her the door.

It's your business.
You're in it to make money.
Someone is costing you money.
What would you do?

Start as you mean to go on, its not nice to be in this kind of position but you have to show who is boss, as for the legal side of it i'd be unsure, but i would take her to one side and explain calmly and professionally your concerns and say that there needs to be a dramatic change, then if things haven't improved you know what to do, at 18 she's inexperienced and although shes being a right pain in the a**e she may not realise so i would have a little talk first, who knows it may sort her out xx good luck

i had a similar situation recently, because your employee is still within her three month trial, you can cease employment with imediate effect as long as you pay a weeks notice to her, this will get her out of the salon so you havent got to worry about anymore stories etc... there will be plenty of girls who would love the oppourtunity to work in a salon, who would treat you with a little more respect! good luck. x

I would let her go too, and I think Hippy Chick has given you the best way to go about it.
Good luck, staff issues are never easy.

It sounds like her main downfall is late adherence so I would probably concentrate on that - it is an extremely legitimate reason to not continue with her during or up to the expiry of her probationary period. It costs you money & puts extra pressure on other staff. It seems like you could do without her but put it this way, imagine if you DIDN'T have these issues & she was a fantastic employee - you would probably have an even better salon. It's also not motivational for the other members of your staff to have an employee like this.

It sounds like she has been there for just over a month?

I'm not sure how this industry would work but just for an idea, this is what I would be doing at my (office) job - I'm sure a Geek can confirm if it's possible for you.

OK this is what I would do if she was currently working in my office. I would give her a written warning with documentation of her lateness & advising that adherence is one of the most important things in her job as it causes detrimental affects to the business. Advise that further occurances may result in further disiplanary action up to & including dismissal. I write two copies - both are signed by myself & the employee - I keep one, she keeps one & if she refuses to sign a witness will sign it on her behalf to say that it was delivered. File. Review again after a set period of time & if she hasn't improved deliver a 2nd written notice, then third written notice. Finally after that termination within the probationary period. Each written notice has to be about the same thing (eg adherence).

Of course you can take it to the 3 months & choose not to take her on past the probationary period & go your seperate ways but whatever way, make sure you document & don't go OVER the 3 months - she will be harder to get rid of!

Someone with adherence issues will usually get a bit better after the meeting but usually goes back into the habit after a few days.

Let us know how you go!

Yeah from experience- i would definty give her till her trials up and just get rid!!!...
I have a placement girl working with me and she sounds the same-same age too...
and she wants to be took on as a therapist...But she just hasnt made a good impression at all.
Has she had the rules and regs explained to her.
I would have a word with remind her shes on a trial and already she hasnt put a good impression on you and Punctunality is a very important one , i would explain that punctuality is the biggest fact and if you cant trust her because shes not reliable..then why should you waste your money on her wages when you could have a reliable therapist who really needs a job and the money..

Good Luck
and let us know how it goes x

I would try talking to her, starting off by giving her the positive things that she is doing right, try to find out what she likes and dislikes about her job and talking to her about what you expect from her. Agree to have another review in maybe a month just to see how its going and what improvements have or have not been made. xx

jmho hth x
I agree there just isn't anything positive about this girl at all

Yep, I'd let her go too. Just wish the one I'm having problems with was on a trial!!

jmho hth x

i totally agree

She doesnt sound right for your salon. The idea of a 12 week trial from a legal perspective means neither of you are tied to the position. I would let her go immediately, you are well within your legal rights. I would not worry about the 'bitch' aspect. First and foremost your business and other staff are your priority not her feelings, you didnt open a business to make friends :)

Good luck

Totally agree with the above , first and foremost it is a business you are running and nobody likes being bossy but thats what you have to do in a firm fair way,
bit like the captain of the ship.

Make sure you have all individual specific job roles written out and displayed

I think you have been pretty fair with her,
but she doesn't seem to show much respect for you ,

its a good thing you only had her on trial and you can let her go easily

good luck :hug:

thanks for all your advice! most of it my friends have said exaclty the same thing but they havent been in the salon environment so its good to hear off people who have!

I think the plan is to sit down with her and discuss the problems i have with her, but i still cant see me keeping her on. There's no contract and so Im not legally bound to keeping here.

There are a million other girls who would love to be in her shoes and would do a better job and turn up on time!! Plus i see it as a better investment to pay someone more experienced and with an existing client base once January is over rather than someone on a reduced price list with no clients.

Thanks a bunch guys!!

xx

Latest posts

Back