Problems with gels after client had acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crunchy

Reaction score
Hi I'm just looking for a bit of advice please.
I had a new client come to me last week for gels (I have been using Gellux for over 2 years). She text me to say that she had acrylics on but was doing to remove them herself the night before she came to me. When she turned up, I looked at her nails and they were in a bad way. She told me that she had pulled the acrylics off because she didn't want to use acetone as it makes her fingers go funny. I said to her that as it looked like there was still some product left on the nail, really I should remove it and I could use the gel remover instead of acetone, but again she said no. So, I said I could gently buff the nail to remove some of the product, but not so much as to damage the nail. So I did the usual prep of the nail, like I do with all of my other clients. When I was putting the colour on, she had a semi change of mind on the colour half way through (after I had cured the first coat) and said that it was too light. I said to her that the colour would deepen with the second coat on, which it did, but then she said she wanted another coat on. I advised against 3 coats, as the time I did this on myself it was thick and it started to lift quicker than normal, anyway she said that she would prefer it if I did it. So I put fastbond, base, 3 colour coats on and then the top coat as usual. I gave her the aftercare leaflet and she said she was really pleased with them. Anyhow, 3 days later she sent me a picture of one of her nails, showing a chip in the side. So I asked if she had followed the aftercare and she said yes, so I said that I could repair this for her, and arranged for her to come on that day, but she didn't make it, so I arranged with her for the following day and she didn't make that either. She text me today to say that she wants to come up later, and showed me a picture of another nail that has started to chip!

In the whole time I have used Gellux I have never had this problem with any of my clients before, in fact they normally say that its harder wearing than some of the other gel polishes. So I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I can only think that perhaps there was still some acrylic left on the nail so the gel didn't attach properly, even though I buffed. Also perhaps that combined with 3 thin colour layers may have caused it to chip easier. This lady is the first one that I have done who has worn acrylics, my other clients normally come back to me every 2 weeks or the new ones haven't worn anything before apart from polish. Any help would be great thanks as she is coming over later and I'm quite dreading it, to see what state they are in. I've said I will do them both for no charge but am worried that she will also want me to re-do the rest of them for her and am unsure as to how to handle it as like I said, I've never been in this position before.

I've had this problem before, I think it's because there's acrylic left on the nail and also 3 coats doesn't last aslong as it's only designed for 4 coats anyway! id offer her to fix te 2 for free but make sure she knows the rest she will have to pay as you advised things she didnt want but you knew they'd be best for her, Other than that offer her a full removal service (charge as normal) and a colour she will like that will only need the normal two coats x

If you are applying thin enough, 3 coats wouldn't make it bulky as i generally have to use 3-4 coats for lighter colours & they neither lift or look bulky, so i doubt that is the reason why. It couls be due to leftover acrylic product on the nail plate but to be honest, if she pulled off her acrylics in the first place, she has more than likely not been following aftercare at all & hasn't been taking care of them

This might sound blunt...but, she ripped her acrylics off the day before getting gel polish. Bottom line is that her nails are damanged from ripping the acrylics! Gel polish is Not made for damaged nails.

Sent from my LG-D950 using SalonGeek mobile app

We sometimes need to remember that a gel polish is good, but it's only as good as the natural nail! She ripped her acrylics off the day before,for goodness sake. Although I like her reasoning that the remover makes her skin go funny!!?
(yep, that's a good enough reason to rip them off instead!!!) if you built a house with shoddy foundations it wouldn't be very long before you got cracks & subsidence now would it!!!? 😁

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back