Problems with makeup chair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I'm a new MUA and have just purchased a Nauticalia tallyman makeup chair from Ellisons. As lovely as it is I'm having a couple of problems:

When sitting on it, the arms (which are held up by the canvas back support) seem to move/sag inwards slightly AND the footrest seems a little unstable if using it to get onto the chair - as it is only fixed on one side

Has anyone else found this or is it normal? I paid a good amount of money for this chair and also have an IKEA one for taking mobile but don't want to seem unprofessional if my chair doesn't seem 100% stable.

I don't really want to return it if I know that this is a common thing with this style of chair or even if any geeks have any tips or fixes they have used for theirs?

Thanks x

Attachments

• 8280_Black_Canvas.jpg
    8280_Black_Canvas.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 25
I had this chair years ago from nauticalia and ended up ditching it after a couple of used due similar issues.

I now have a light wait aluminium flame one which is amazing

Oh dear, I can see already this was an expensive mistake. The return policy at Ellisons is so over complicated I think I'd perhaps be better off selling it.

Can I ask where you got your aluminium chair from?

eBay, but I got it in 2009 so not sure if they still do them

Thanks! However I think I've fixed it.... Thin cardboard pieces (from MAC packaging lol) wedged under the armrest hinges. Seems to have worked a treat. A client this afternoon commented on hoe comfy the chair was.
Thank goodness as that could have been an expensive mistake!!

I have this chair and I've not had a problem with the arm rests, I've had it for around 6 years though so perhaps they have changed them a little? I also have the same style chair in lightweight aluminium which I got from Beauty Express I think?

RE: footrest, don't use that to get in and out of the chair, all that will happen is the chair will tip forward and potentially injure your client. They should use the arm rests to 'hoist' themselves in the chair. I always make sure that I hold the back of the chair when they get in just to make sure.

Yes definitely a good idea. I even keep one hand on my (very sturdy) massage couch when clients get on and off as you never know!

Latest posts

Back