Problems with Minx?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmp1982

Reaction score
Hi, I know there are loads of threads on here about minx.....but I am having a real problem and I need your help.

I have only had it for this week only and I have done 2 sets with it....one on myself and one on my guinea pig friend!...I had the cheetah and she had the silver......The cheetah went on well, the silver was quite hard to get right....I found it went crinkly at the free edge and the side walls. Then only after a day or two, the free edge started to look tatty and rough....I reheated the minx/nail and tried to re adhere. But was still having problems....:irked:
I really want it to work as I love it and I know my clients will too, but I have been put off by this.... I am a perfectionist and I just want to get it right....What else can I do. I am prepping the nail correctly etc.
I have watched the tutorials and I am doing everthing as it says, or so I think...Please help me....

Thanks guys....x

HI,
I too am finding the free edge of the silver & gold are not really smooth. I have tried a few different ways of getting it flatter and this is the best for me............ after you've applied the minx and are stretching it over the top of the toe, cut a slash from the end of the minx back to where it meets the free egde. (IYKWIM) Then pull one side slightly towards the centre of the free edge and file off the extra, then repeat with the other side and then smooth down. I only really need to do this with the silver & gold - the other minxs all sit beautifully.
Also, I've put a lick of clear topcoat over the free edge just to seal it and then reapply it every week. My gold minx have been on for almost 4 weeks with no lifting.
HTH :hug:

Last edited:
I to have had exactly the same problem so its not you. They go on great on toes but on fingertips its a nightmare even if they are nice and smooth. I've given up on fingers and I only use the minx on them then put clear acrylic over them (if client is used to acrylic) I'm using my stock that way. I feel very disappointed by the product.

HI,
I too am finding the free edge of the silver & gold are not really smooth. I have tried a few different ways of getting it flatter and this is the best for me............ after you've applied the minx and are stretching it over the top of the toe, cut a slash from the end of the minx back to where it meets the free egde. (IYKWIM) Then pull one side slightly towards the centre of the free edge and file off the extra, then repeat with the other side and then smooth down. I only really need to do this with the silver & gold - the other minxs all sit beautifully.
Also, I've put a lick of clear topcoat over the free edge just to seal it and then reapply it every week. My gold minx have been on for almost 4 weeks with no lifting.
HTH :hug:

That sounds like a good idea. I may try that. I just want it to be perfect. :( x

I to have had exactly the same problem so its not you. They go on great on toes but on fingertips its a nightmare even if they are nice and smooth. I've given up on fingers and I only use the minx on them then put clear acrylic over them (if client is used to acrylic) I'm using my stock that way. I feel very disappointed by the product.

Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried them on toes yet but definately will do soon. I get very disheartened if something doesn;t go right but I am not going to give up. The way I see it, is y does everyone love this product so much including the celebs.....if it's crap.....I just think it's obviously all down to the application....and I just want to know what I'm doing wrong. :( x

Ok, so I took off my cheetah print minx as I get bored easily :lol: and I wanted to try another one!...lol....So now I have the hot pink swirly one....which is lovely, but again on the free edge....I can't get it to sit right?....I hardly stretched it coz I was scared of it shrinking back, but it still seems to be "buckling" on the free edge...:cry:........what else can I do....x:grr:

are you making sure that you let it cool down before you file it at the free edge? and holding the file at a 45 degree angle (i fold any excess minx round and stick on to the back of the finger then smooth out to the side walls with quite firm pressure...but being carefull not to over stretch it... you can stretch it a little while hot...but its important that you let it cool down before you file)??? it should file off quite cleanly.

are you making sure that you let it cool down before you file it at the free edge? and holding the file at a 45 degree angle (i fold any excess minx round and stick on to the back of the finger then smooth out to the side walls with quite firm pressure...but being carefull not to over stretch it... you can stretch it a little while hot...but its important that you let it cool down before you file)??? it should file off quite cleanly.

Thanks for your reply,
Yeah I am letting it cool for at least 10 seconds and filing at 45 degrees and yeah I do that aswell, stick the excess to the back of the finger. It files off cleanly but I just can't get it to sit smooth on the edge :( been looking at them today and a couple of them look like they're "wearing" at the free edge, losing colour......I am sooooo frustrated as I wanna get it perfect. I've done a few on toes and they r lovely. I have quite a few minx booked in already and I want to be confident in doing it!
Please help!!

x

Well thank god this has been said by a few of you. I got slated for telling a geek not to practice with the silver because it is harder! and was told in other words that it was just me!
I have done quite a few sets now and all have lasted ages...apart from the silver. Is it just me or does it seem slightly thicker?
xxx

Hi guys - like you all seem to say I've had the same problem mentioned on fingers.
I was initially dissapointed BUT I think Ive defianately cracked it on toes for sure!
I'm using the minx lamp and I've sussed that you need to heat the minx quite well so that they are pliable. I take the individual minx off and hold under the lamp on the end of my finger untill they " wilt " in the heat THEN apply them and stretch over the nail.
Continue with all untill youre finished THEN go back check application and file - this way they would have cooled sufficiently.
I'm really loving the toes and they're lasting a good 6 weeks plus - but havent tried the fingers for a while - might have a go noe actually - will keep you posted!!!!
Jayney m

Hi guys - like you all seem to say I've had the same problem mentioned on fingers.
I was initially dissapointed BUT I think Ive defianately cracked it on toes for sure!
I'm using the minx lamp and I've sussed that you need to heat the minx quite well so that they are pliable. I take the individual minx off and hold under the lamp on the end of my finger untill they " wilt " in the heat THEN apply them and stretch over the nail.
Continue with all untill youre finished THEN go back check application and file - this way they would have cooled sufficiently.
I'm really loving the toes and they're lasting a good 6 weeks plus - but havent tried the fingers for a while - might have a go noe actually - will keep you posted!!!!
Jayney m

This is exactly how I do it. I am leaving my minx on my toes to see how long it will last. They have grown out loads but still going strong at 8 weeks!!
I think it's like anything...your feet will last longer. They are more protected than your hands. I have gotten a good 4 weeks out of my fingers but with the silver I just find it doesn't last as long because of the colour. The slightest scratch shows up xxx

hi
Iv had mine on for 9 & a half weeks and got board ,now iv got the silver & black on.Iv not had any problems yet with the minx and iv not got the lamp iv been using a hairdryer untill my lamp comes.lol

ok,....so last night I did a set of pink cheetah print minx on one of my loyal clients nails....She was so excited to be getting it and I was excited about dong it, but still apprehensive because of my previous problems with it.
I only charged her £15 for doing it and as u know, that is hardly n e profit!...I have said to her if u have N E problems, please please come back to me and I will try to sort it out obviously free of charge!
So....this morning, I get a txt to say, she loves them.....but.....the edges n the free edge are starting to peel back already!.....What the hell am I doing wrong?????? I'm so frustrated and am just thinking about giving up on fingers and just sticking to toes coz they r perfect!. x

I'm not doing them on fingers, just toes. Getting on great with them until last week. Sort of know the reason but here goes.

Got the silver on, had them on before but this time I put them on as I was off on holiday the next day. Initially wore open toed shoes then flip flops. One day we went to a park so I put my trainers on with no socks. When I got home, took my trainers off the big toes were all wrinkled up. I was not a happy bunny but decided it was because I was in a hot country and had no socks on. Also I had to go for the reminder of my holiday with crappy looking Minx on my big toes.

I re-applied Minx on my big toes last night and went off to work with my court shoes on as I normally do and I can't belive it, they have wrinkled up again. No tights on this time.

Do you believe it was because they were newly applied and that is the reason they have wrinkled up. I've certainly worn them before with trainers but not in such hot conditions and I've worn them before with court shoes too.

Im stumped!

I'm not doing them on fingers, just toes. Getting on great with them until last week. Sort of know the reason but here goes.

Got the silver on, had them on before but this time I put them on as I was off on holiday the next day. Initially wore open toed shoes then flip flops. One day we went to a park so I put my trainers on with no socks. When I got home, took my trainers off the big toes were all wrinkled up. I was not a happy bunny but decided it was because I was in a hot country and had no socks on. Also I had to go for the reminder of my holiday with crappy looking Minx on my big toes.

I re-applied Minx on my big toes last night and went off to work with my court shoes on as I normally do and I can't belive it, they have wrinkled up again. No tights on this time.

Do you believe it was because they were newly applied and that is the reason they have wrinkled up. I've certainly worn them before with trainers but not in such hot conditions and I've worn them before with court shoes too.

Im stumped!

Hi hun. I go to my kickboxing lessons in mine without any problems and have to wear these horrible sweaty kick boots.
How are you preparing the nails before hand? xxx

yes, I'm prepping correctly. I used cuticle away, remove that and then scrubfresh before I apply. It's just at the free edge that wrinkled up and I'm now wondering if it's the silver Minx. I've never had this problem before but it was hot weather on holiday.:rolleyes:

Anyway I'm off to do my big toes again now.

ok, first.......I've had my cheetah print toes for 3-4 weeks now, have just got back from glastonbury festival and they r all still on but are obviously looking a little tatty and dirty.....lol....

second.....I saw lady gaga at the festival and she had gold lightening on, looked fab...

thirdly......Still struggling with minx on fingers.....I'm at the stage where I feel I wanna give up.....but I don't want to really....:(

x

Hey ive been uming and arring over getting minx-think I am going to give it a go! After reading this I thaught to myself why are they affected by a hot country because surely alot of people who will be using minx will live in a hot place as their home. also if they are taken off using heat then like said above what if you where in a hot environment or using a sun bed or something would this affect them. I am not in any way critisizing as I have never used it and I do plan on getting it just a few questions xx

Hlso if they are taken off using heat then like said above what if you where in a hot environment or using a sun bed or something would this affect them.

Hi, I say to my ladies that they are fine to have baths, go, swimming, go in the hot tub and do everything else they would normally do with water/heat. The only problem they would have is if they started pulling or picking the edges whilst in heat/water (or any other time), as this would make them come off. As long as they leave them alone, the heat/water shouldn't affect them.

I've had my minx on my toe nails for 2 weeks, in that time i have spent nine days in Tenerife, the weather was about 30 degrees, i was in and out of the pool, digging my feet in the sand and they are still looking good. They are so easy to apply and the comments i have had have been great, everyone want them!!!!

Latest posts

Back