Problems with NSI Gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amanda@Ritual

Reaction score
I gave a client and her daughter a set of UV gel nails using NSI UV gel and white tips. They have both found that some of their nails have cracked and some have snapped. It had been a while since I had done nails as most of my business is spray tans and massage so to refresh I watched a video on Nail Angel. The video said to put a base layer of pink builder and cure and then a thicker layer of pink builder, cure, buff and then finish with glaze and go. In the past I haven't done this I have done 2 coats pink builder and i coat finish clear. Can anyone with more experience than me pleeeaaase give me some well needed advice on good lasting application, also is this brand any good I used this brand at college so have just continued with it or is there a better/not expensive gel anyone can recommend?
Need help as now giving refund to client and can't afford to be doing this!!!!

Thank you everyone.
xx

There is nothing wrong with NSI brand, it is a high end product.
I use all NSI products and find them to be brilliant.

Ok, to your problem, from what info you have given, it sounds like you have not built the nail thick enough.
You will not get ANY strength from the tip at all, so you must get your strength totally from the product/gel.
Putting down a thin lock in layer first is the best way to go and then from there you can either do it like the video with one big ball and the log technique or you can build in 2 smaller layers, it's really up to how you prefer.
You just need to make sure your layers are thick enough and your apex is placed correctly.
I had the same problems ages ago and it was simply that I was not building the nail thick enough, especially at the free edge, make sure you get a good even thickness (but not too thick and chunky looking) at your free edge too.
Another factor could be that the tip was left to long for the clients lifestyle and she was quite rough with it and add in the nail being too thin and of course it will crack or break off.
So just try ans build it a bit thicker next time using either one or 2 layers to build the nail, it really makes no difference, it's what your comfy doing.

As for giving a refund, I would not recommend handing out refunds so quick, especially when the problem could be both your application and the clients fault, I would offer to redo the set for free maybe but think long and hard about giving refunds, cause the client is not just paying for the products, they are mainly paying for your time and your time is not something you can get back.

Good luck, I hope I've helped in some way:Love:

Hi Thanks so for your advice, I have tried the log technique and found after curing the gel had spread right across the nail and onto the skin...nightmare!!! I think you are right about the thickness of the gel, after the disaster with the 'log' technique I probably went the other way and didn't use enough!
If during application I didn't think the gel was thick enough and I had already applied 2 coats do you think I apply more?
I offered to do a free set when she told me some of hers had cracked which she said yes to, but now her daughters has done the same she just wants a refund. I have accepted to do this as it is obviously something I have done wrong and the other problem is I know her and feel obliged to.
I suppose its a lesson learned and hopefully I wont need to do it again.

Thank you so much for your help.
xx

Latest posts

Back