Problems with ombré and Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotus blossom

Reaction score
ive watched videos etc and I've got the right technique but I feel that the ombré is not good using shellac. As if I'd be better using paints or suchlike
Maybe the ones I've been doing are too pastelly and light
I've been trying to ombré the yellow ( pastel ) can't remember nane off hand plus a pinky mauve and you can hardly tell when I put the other colours on
Please help c

Hi lotus
Are you sponging? I sponge personally but I know s lot of geeks on here use additives for ombre purposes

I always apply the lighter colour first, cuticle end then sponge the darker colour onto the tips and blend where they meet, if both colours are bright/vibrant I sponge off some of the first colour off the tips where I want the second colour to be most vibrant, if that makes sense

Yes I sponge but it's like the shellac colours go back into the sponge rather than on the nail
?
I'm doing it straight onto a cured colour coat
Maybe it's just because it a pale colour?

I've not had much success with Gel Polish ombre/fades, I always get little bubbles, or the gradient doesn't fade nicely and looks 'lumpy' or patchy, all that flash curing drives me mad, and I guarantee the client will bump a nail on the lamp putting it in.

Better success with additives, they go quite nicely

I'm still hunting a perfectly white pigment, no glitter/shimmer/silver so I can use it for babyboomers

I bet you've got a cosmetic type sponge, the little wedges?

Think it's sunbleached?

I've not had much success with Gel Polish ombre/fades, I always get little bubbles, or the gradient doesn't fade nicely and looks 'lumpy' or patchy, all that flash curing drives me mad, and I guarantee the client will bump a nail on the lamp putting it in.

Better success with additives, they go quite nicely

I'm still hunting a perfectly white pigment, no glitter/shimmer/silver so I can use it for babyboomers
i also haven't found any true white pigment, so post please if you find something. perhaps try eye shadow pigments?

Have you seen any of the youtube tutorials that use a brush to create the ombre? I watched one on the INK London channel earlier this week where they paint the two colours onto the nail, and blend where they meet with a striping brush. When happy with the blend, cure and repeat the process.

Here's the video:

@Trinity @asteropi - have you tried the colour shack? I don't think they have a true white in the store, but they do create custom pigments. I can't say I know what the price is but might be worth dropping a message to Babbs?

i also haven't found any true white pigment, so post please if you find something. perhaps try eye shadow pigments?

Eye shadow tends to have talc in it, or oils to keep it attached to the skin, the oils can react with gel polish top coat as it seals it in and it can go spotty looking.

Have you seen any of the youtube tutorials that use a brush to create the ombre? I watched one on the INK London channel earlier this week where they paint the two colours onto the nail, and blend where they meet with a striping brush. When happy with the blend, cure and repeat the process.

Here's the video:

@Trinity @asteropi - have you tried the colour shack? I don't think they have a true white in the store, but they do create custom pigments. I can't say I know what the price is but might be worth dropping a message to Babbs?

Hi. I've seen the video, thats SarahR (was/is TheRealMrsGrey on here) - she makes it look simple but I certainly didn't have that kind of success. Possibly because I was trying to do it for BabyBoomers and the pink is too sheer and the white too pigmented. It just ended up streaky, more like marbling than ombre.

I've used ColourShack for pigments, and I kind of assume if it's not in the store they don't have it. I wouldn't go to the expensive of a custom blend, it's only for BabyBoomers which will no doubt fade out of fashion soon anyway.

I got a white from GnarlyNails on eBay, it's nice but it has a shimmer. It's just the plain white I'm looking for

Hi. I've seen the video, thats SarahR (was/is TheRealMrsGrey on here) - she makes it look simple but I certainly didn't have that kind of success. Possibly because I was trying to do it for BabyBoomers and the pink is too sheer and the white too pigmented. It just ended up streaky, more like marbling than ombre.

I've used ColourShack for pigments, and I kind of assume if it's not in the store they don't have it. I wouldn't go to the expensive of a custom blend, it's only for BabyBoomers which will no doubt fade out of fashion soon anyway.

I got a white from GnarlyNails on eBay, it's nice but it has a shimmer. It's just the plain white I'm looking for

I must admit, I haven't tried that method (I always use pigments for ombre), but I am planning on giving it a go - like you said, the video makes it look so easy, what could go wrong, lol.

I'm sure if you haven't found a plain white, it's not out there! But I will keep an eye open and let you know if I find anything :)

Thanks everyone as I'm
A complete novice to the whole ombré arty side of things is it possible for someone to send a link or suggest a basic starter pack of things like additives etc etc
Thanks in advance x

I bet you've got a cosmetic type sponge, the little wedges?

Think it's sunbleached?
No it's straight out of a packet?

Fab! Fingers crossed for no shimmer/sparkle - Thanks lovely :D

Let me know how you get on, I'm quite tempted to order some now! :)

Let me know how you get on, I'm quite tempted to order some now! :)

Just about to purchase some but one pot of pigment at £3.85 becomes just over £9.62 with VAT and postage, etc. - I don't want it that badly I willing to pay a tenner for it.

Just about to purchase some but one pot of pigment at £3.85 becomes just over £9.62 with VAT and postage, etc. - I don't want it that badly I willing to pay a tenner for it.

Oh god, I refuse to buy anything when postage is more than the products, that's proper annoying!

Oh god, I refuse to buy anything when postage is more than the products, that's proper annoying!

So true, especially when the pigments on places like ebay are similar prices but with free delivery. I get that things like monomer and gel
Polish need to be sent via couier but pigment can go via Royal mail in a jiffy bag surely

So true, especially when the pigments on places like ebay are similar prices but with free delivery. I get that things like monomer and gel
Polish need to be sent via couier but pigment can go via Royal mail in a jiffy bag surely

I know right, or just throw it real hard and I'll see if I can catch it! :D

I have tried the Sam biddle White and unfortunately it is a shimmer [emoji20][emoji85]

Latest posts

Back