Problems with Salon owner....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee

Reaction score
Hi

I'm renting a very small room in a lovely newish salon, I started in February and have been holding the fort as the lady that owns it has just had a baby.

When i started there wasn't really much of a client base due to problems before I started, so i have begun to build up a nice clientèle.

For the first 3 months the lady that owns the salon let me pay a reduced rate of rent, and i spent many many hours sat there on my own watching tumble weeds roll by.... I guess we both did each other a favour.

I am now paying a much higher rent as business is picking up, which is fine, and I'm actually starting to pay myself a small wage.

Since i started there i have paid my rent at the end of the month, the rent is deducted from the card transactions that are paid into her business account. (i pay 5% on all my treatments to her too for the card payments).

I wrote her an invoice on Saturday, minus the rent i owe for last month and she called me up today asking if i can pay next months rent in advance as there is no money in her account to pay me.

I told her that money is mine and it is needed, she said she could give me a bit of it and see what happens over the next few weeks.

I am so fuming about this. What do you guys think i should do or say to her?

S x

Am not too sure how to approach her but its definitely not on that she is keeping your takings (and no doubt keeping YOUR interest on them) then not giving them to you!

In the future I would look into getting your own card machine. You could tell her you were going to charge her interest on the outstanding money. Otherwise this could happen every month which is not fair on you and will stress you out!

I have a salon and rent the front to a hairdresser. We are separate businesses so we both have our own machines on the same phone line (you can only use one at a time and not if the phone is in use).

Good luck, xx

ohhh....cheeky cow!

Its not your fault that she has no money... I would refuse to use the card machine!
I have a small room in the back of a gent salons and I dont use the card machine I take cash only and I pay my rent once a week with a check...keep it simple...whats yours is yours!!
have you signed a contract?
I would tell her you pay your rent once a month and you won't pay in advance!

Hi, thanks for replies.

I am now just accepting cash, which I'm sure will cause problems at some point. I also do have an appointment with cardsave tomorrow anyway as I wasn't happy about paying 5% on each transaction, seems a bit much to me and everyone else i've spoken to.

It is annoying me that she has tried finding a way to not pay me this money by wanting me to pay rent in advance.

She has also sent me a message telling me i'm being unprofessional and stroppy!

thats really bad she sounds like a money grabbing user altough there is a "lack" of money .. i would get your head down take what she says on the chin keep building up your clients and then go your own way she cant treat you like that just cos your self employed , she couldt jut turn round to a staff member and say sorry i cant pay you or she would be falkin out legal costs if that was the case, you have rights too its as bad as stealing from you .... show her who is boss xxx:lick:

Get your own credit card machine,even with the rental monthly charge it should work out less.
5% seems high-i pay in Ireland 2.5%.
I think you will have trouble in the future with this Salon owner.
She started off great (as a lot of them do ) but she is getting tricky now.Make sure you have ALL contact details for your clients-just in case.
I dont mean to panic you but you never know when you might need to move and its best to have your money in your Bank account.

Are you using all your own products & equipment?
If yes, Why dont you take your own money in your beauty room, and keep yourself separate from the til at the front of the shop (this is what I do)
Let all your client know that you dont except cards anymore for your treatments, they soon will get used to it.
Can you not suggest a weekly rent? Then she will have something every week (keep her off your back)

What do you mean when you said "she has no money in her account to pay you" why does she pay you if you rent a room! Do you not work for yourself? Sorry, I am just confused on how excatly it works wher you are?!

Have you worked out per month what you are paying for clients to pay on their cards?
xxx

i think she invoices the salonowner for all the card payments taken.

this is hilarious, you have to pay her so she can pay you back? she shouldn't have been spending your money. im sure she has paid herslef before she pays you your money back. cheek.

look into getting your own card machine, at the most I pay 2.8% on card transactions so shes making a tidy profit off you. iv not joined fsb, it cost me £170 i think for a year, but what ill save in employer lawyer, and card transactions, not forgetting business banking, it will be worth it for me. if you were looking to get your own card machine it might be a good thing to look at in the future.

good luck with building your business :)

kim.... i just got a card mechine it sud have been £150 start up fee and then approm1% per transaction american exspress about 6% so dont takethat lol!! BUT i am a member of the NHF got the 150 waverd and my order fast treacked was herar and been used in 4 days best thing i veer did my retail sales i have gone through the roof becouse ppl was only drawing just enough to cover hair cost out of atm before they came i very pleased xxx:lick:

ooops sorry kim thought you put i was lookin into gettin one so ignor that xx

tillymay
that sounds great- I think- will you put it in English so we can all understand:D

I take it that the card is working out well? Great advice-its always better to be in control of your own business.
And as you are saying business is better now that clients can add bits and bobs to their treatments and spending more with you,and they definitely spend more with the option to use a cc.
Good to hear. Nice one.

in english lol...... it costs £150 to get a pdq... free if your with NHF and you get charged a lower lonthly rate so normaly about 2.5% on any transaction , but i get it for 1.5% as i am with the nhf so its a big worth while saving to join hope that makes a little more sense xx

not that im arguing with you tilly but heres what i paid before and pay now...

I paid the £150 set up fee...but if I had been in FSB it would have been free.

I paid 40p per transaction, it has now gone down the 22.5p.

I paid 2.8% on credit cards, on some credit cards its now less than 1%, I think the most it is is 1.5%.

I also was paying £20 a month before, and now it is £15 a month.

I thought you could only get a PDQ through your bank, so signed up initially because I didn't know any different (my own fault) but now I am very pleased. Just about to add up last months bill and let you know on average what I should save per month...

My bill this month was £64.25 before vat, and one the FSB rates it would have been £37.06 before vat. (averaging)

Big difference eh? Saving £27.19 a month = £326.28 a year!!!!!! WOW!!!

And the more you spend, the lower the rates go.

x

sorry, the federation of small businesses. x

Thanks for the replies and good advice.

She did give me the cheque yesterday.....reluctantly.

I had a meeting with Cardsave on weds and just need to get myself a business bank account now then I can use my own card machine. Apparently my using her card machine is illegal! I didn't know that!

I love where I work and my clients are so lovely and building up fast but there is friction there. I could whine about it all day long but I wont bore you all!

Thanks again x

What do you guys think i should do or say to her?

Say - goodbye. Do - keep an eye out for another salon premises.
Because it will not get any better. :sad:
Some really good advice given in this thread.
What irks me is that your salon owner knew what she was doing.
My only hope now is that you retain ownership of the clientele you have worked so hard to get.

Latest posts

Back