Problems with Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Immaculate

Reaction score
I am having problems with shellac. I am preparing the nails properly pushing back cuticles using scrub fresh etc but my clients nails are not lasting 14 days . I have the CND lamp which is only a few months old . I have tried applying thinly and thickly . I am so frustrated and thinking of giving up. I do L&P creative nails and have no issues with these. Please help me as I just don't know what the problem is . I am shaking the bottles for 30 seconds, capping the free edges. They are either chipping at the free edge or coming clean off!
I look forward to hearing from you . Thanks

If you do a search on this you will find hundreds of posts on Shellac. You should book yourself on to a Shellac training course. S2 will be able to give you info on courses.

One obvious issue is not removing all the blue film from inside your lamp. X

You should be sealing/swiping the free edge rather than capping. Is it this that's perhaps making it too thick at the free edge and causing it to be at risk of chipping in this area?

I second booking in for a class.

Also, have you looked at the fingernail fixers videos on youtube? You can see how she applies it, as in how thin etc.

Are you doing a full soak mani? Did you give your clients aftercare advice? Solar Oil? Are they following aftercare advice/using Solar Oil?

This may come as a shock but 'sometimes' it IS the client's fault.

The two clients I have that have 'problem's with Shellac do NOT take care of their nails.

Are you doing a full soak mani? Did you give your clients aftercare advice? Solar Oil? Are they following aftercare advice/using Solar Oil?

This may come as a shock but 'sometimes' it IS the client's fault.

The two clients I have that have 'problem's with Shellac do NOT take care of their nails.
Hi thanks for the advice . I'm not doing a full soak manicure. I do say to upkeep with solar oil. Will look at the videos in you tube . I will also get some extra tuition . Thanks everyone
��

If you do a search on this you will find hundreds of posts on Shellac. You should book yourself on to a Shellac training course. S2 will be able to give you info on courses.

One obvious issue is not removing all the blue film from inside your lamp. X
Yes have removed all the blue film . Will look in YouTube and get some extra tuition thanks ��

You should be sealing/swiping the free edge rather than capping. Is it this that's perhaps making it too thick at the free edge and causing it to be at risk of chipping in this area?

I second booking in for a class.

Also, have you looked at the fingernail fixers videos on youtube? You can see how she applies it, as in how thin etc.
Thanks for the advise , I'm going to book a class xx

Clients with not so healthy nails just don't get the wear out of the gel polish that healthy nail clients do. Every gel polish line says that the product works best on healthy nails. All the advice given here is right on, classes, getting layers THIN, proper prep, the client after care. I have better luck with Gelish on weaker nails but still. Some of my clients can go 21 days with hardly any chips, some clients barely make it 6-9 days. I think we have to educate our clients that not all nails are created equal. Some nails are not going to do well with gel polish no matter what brand. Perhaps overlays for those clients that the polish doesn't want to hold. I posted this on another thread but I was told by a CND phone rep that the darker colors should be cured 3min UV. I am doing the 1st thin layer 2min & the 2nd layer 3min for the darker colors it has made a difference for me. Good Luck!

I'm also having some problems, I have very recently bought the system and painted hotski to trotski on my nails 3 days ago and 2 of my nails have chipped. I thought I'd done everything that was in the CND application video on youtube but obviously something is going wrong.
I did remove all of the blue paper but it was very difficult to remove and has left a bit of a dull sheen over it so I'm wondering if this has affected the curing.:mad: So frustrating as I'm keen to get my hands on paying customers!

I'm also having some problems, I have very recently bought the system and painted hotski to trotski on my nails 3 days ago and 2 of my nails have chipped. I thought I'd done everything that was in the CND application video on youtube but obviously something is going wrong.
I did remove all of the blue paper but it was very difficult to remove and has left a bit of a dull sheen over it so I'm wondering if this has affected the curing.:mad: So frustrating as I'm keen to get my hands on paying customers!

As asked above to the OP, have you taken a Shellac class? If not, then I would suggest you book on one, it teaches you so much more than you tube videos can, really recommend it :wink2:

Latest posts

Back