Problems with site - designed by family member!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luxury Beauty

Reaction score
Hiya everyone

I just needed to rant abit! well here it goes. my website has been designed by my uncle who designs websites for a living. about a month ago we got together and designed my site. This only took him a few hours!

So with christmas coming up and new clients coming in he still hasnt finished the website. I explained to him everything i wanted, that it was user friendly, simple to use and i wasnt sure on the colours myself. but he claimed to know best so i left him to it.

went back to the site and there was so many things that needed to be done, especially for the shop!

its really starting to bug me now as christmas is 2 weeks away and people are saying the shop is quite hard to use and i dont think the products are gonna sell.

i emailed him on saturday with a list of things that need to be done but he always forgets! not only that i have just recieved an email saying 'wont be able to talk til friday'. how on earth does that help? i have 2 weeks left to sell £2000 worth of stock!

not only that i have been paying for google adwords and when people visit the online shop, they are going to see that its unfinished.

i have no idea what to do as im worried about paying for this stock in the new year. not only that its not drumming up any new business and he has the mentality that he cant be bothered and that my business isnt important.it really gets to me as i hate relying on people at the risk of my business. i havent been sleeping the last few nights and its really affecting me emotinally.

plus he wont give me a copy of the website incase i change anything, and im really tempted to ask again for the copy and pay someone to finish it off!

when i met up with him, as a thank you me and my partner gave him a box of chocolates from harrods which cost over £150! Now i dont know what im doing wrong.

Please can any help or have a say on this matter?

website - Luxury Beauty

from a very worried person :cry:

Oh, I feel very sorry for you.

Hopefully people will have the interest in your products to email you if they want something and you can maybe get them to pay by Paypal or the like.

I am afraid I am the sort of person who would want to have complete control of this myself. Maybe in the New Year you could talk to him and say how much you appreciate what he has done and how busy he is and maybe you could take some of the burden away from him and do it yourself LOL.

Worth a try.

Good luck with it.

designing a website is the easy part, adding all the stuff to it is the difficult stuff, is he being paid for the site ?

If he does sites for a living he may be more interested in his bread and butter stuff (he does have to make a living).

You don't need a copy of the site on disc if you are interested in taking your business elsewhere (they can take whats online already).

Perhaps you should get a quote from somewhere else .... you may be in for a rude shock as to the price (much more than a box of Harrods chocolates) .

Perhaps your uncle desn't understand your desperation for completion.

I'd be talking to him, you don't really need advice from in here, get on the phone ........ now.

It never works out asking family to do stuff. At the end of the day, he's probably really busy trying to make a living. I'd forget Christmas sales now and focus on the New Year.

In future, either do as I did and teach yourself how to build a website or be prepared to pay out.

It never works out asking family to do stuff. At the end of the day, he's probably really busy trying to make a living. I'd forget Christmas sales now and focus on the New Year.

In future, either do as I did and teach yourself how to build a website or be prepared to pay out.

Thats it in a nutshell. My brother did mine but it took months and months. Has finally been ready the last couple weeks but I missed most of the Christmas period as I couldn't advertise while it wasn't ready. I looked at sites I liked online and mailed the designers of a few because one had struck me particularly. It was simple, no animation as such. Over £4000!! Thats because most of them I discovered, do it all when they build it and that includes adding updates, new pages, new products etc. Now its done I love it but next time I'll be more mindful of my own needs and that my brother has a living to earn.

Good luck with yours, hope you get it resolved soon! :hug:

Latest posts

Back