Problems with soft wax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Han1608

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to waxing and can’t quite seem to figure out how to use my waxing stuff at home. I learnt in a salon and the wax was heated up and ready to go for me and I waxed a few people absolutely fine. Now I have bought my own wax pot (s-pro starter kit) and I can’t figure out the correct wax consistency. When I apply the wax and then the strip , it leaves a sticky residue and peels off really stickily leaving the hairs behind. My wax pot doesn’t have a degrees setting on it , it is only numbered 1-10 so I’m not sure what temp my wax would be at either. I have tried all settings but the wax is either to runny to the point it pours off my stick or too thick and neither ways it seems to successfully remove hair.

Where did you do your training ?
Wax should be like runny honey. I had an S Pro heater and it was no where near as good as Hive. I think it was around the 5 or 6 setting that worked for me. If you trainer was half decent you'd have been shown to test on your own inside wrist for the correct working temperature. Nudge the control up or down and it should get to your favoured consistency.
Have you prepared the skin following your product training guidelines? I do a surgical spirit pre-cleanse followed by talc to really really dry the skin. Especially in this hot weather.
Press the strip down hard and rub it to adhere a few times.
Fast rip and there really shouldn't be much left on the skin at all.
It's been very hot and that can affect the wax so that there could be more sticky residue.
Apart from all the above , maybe a bit more practise is needed for you to feel competent. HTH

Give the wax a good stir so the temperature is even and don’t forget that the wax pot thermostat will be switching on and off to maintain the temperature. Your pot may fluctuate by 5°C, cooling down to almost too cold and then becoming almost too hot. The more expensive pots give you consistent, even temperature.

Don’t forget that wax loses temperature as soon as the lid is off, on a hot day you need to use a lower setting and on a cold day, with cold skin, you need your wax quite hot. A full wax pot may need a higher setting and as the pot empties you need to turn the temperature down.

In general you usually need between 5-7 for waxing. The higher temperatures are for hygiene to reduce bacteria or to quickly bring a full pot of wax to workable temperature. The lower setting is for paraffin wax.

Latest posts

Back