Problems with staining on nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Garfield*

Reaction score
I had a client last night for a rebalance of forever french. She had them applied (by me) 3 weeks ago, using retention+, its the first time ive used it on a client as its from the trail kit I bought.

She had been on hol for a week, and said that the nails had discolored badly - they were like a browny colour,( I thought maybe caused by aftersun,as it contains small ammounts of self tan?) there wasnt any lifting execpt on one thumb, so I just did a normal rebal (buffing off the discoloration), but when I applied the pink in z 2 & 3 you could see some discoloration through, what did i do wrong????:eek: Should I of soaked off and re applied?

I have been wearing the same for 4 weeks, and mine havnt discolored, so I dont think its a ratio prob???

Did the discolouration come off with buffing? Did she use Solaroil whilst on holiday? How do you know your mix ratio was correct - mix ratios can differ from product to product. Did you buff the original nails to a shine?

Sorry for all the questions.

I dont think it is a good idea to use a brand new product on a client as soon as this - I once did it with a lady who was going to a wedding and I was booked on a conversion course and decided to use my products before doing the course - the whole lot crystallised and I was so embarrassed that the lady had to have them painted rather than leaving them natural, like she wanted.

Yea, it seemed to come off...she did use solar oil(or she said she did!):eek: and yep I buffed to a shine like i do normally.

I know I prob shouldnt of used it, but I really wanted to try it out!!! :)

I havnt had any probs with mine, and i have rebal mine twice since I applied them.....she was ok about it as fortunately she is a good friend and she knew i was 'experimenting', but I hate it when i cant explain what ive done wrong!!!!

I will stick to Ezflow until my conversion in Oct:idea:

Do you think it could be my ratio?? Ezflow is a wetter ratio I think.....but I did work dryer than I do with ezflow.....hey - ho put it down to experience i think!

It could have been your mix ratio but it is also possible that it was her tanning lotion staining the product. It is possible that you did not buff enough of it off and that is why there was still some discolouration after the rebalance.

By chance have you used an acid based primer...

This will cause discolouration - and would have led to it showing through after application ...

You don't need to use a primer with retention+ as it's a true primerless liquid, however you do still need to use a dehydrator such as scrubfresh.

Mix ratio should not have caused discolouration, brush contamination would be my only other thought, but that would affect all 3 zones. Hence why I thought of the primer, as you would only apply this around the new nail (zone 3 and possibly bleeding into zone 2)

HTH

** Envy: We have Retention in our class Kits that we will start using next week and I notice there's a little bottle of the non-acid Primer. I thought with the Retention you don't have to use a Primer ?

you dont use a primer with ret + you dont need to.

** Envy: We have Retention in our class Kits that we will start using next week and I notice there's a little bottle of the non-acid Primer. I thought with the Retention you don't have to use a Primer ?

Non-acid primer is for use when you have a client that has oily /or high moisture nail plates that are prone to lifting. The chances of you having to use non-acid primer is very low, but it doesn't hurt to have a product available if you need to use it.
HTH

Non-acid primer is for use when you have a client that has oily /or high moisture nail plates that are prone to lifting. The chances of you having to use non-acid primer is very low, but it doesn't hurt to have a product available if you need to use it.
HTH
I have a lady who I use the primer on even though I use Retention+.It has helped with her nails.:)

I believe this is a staining problem and nothing to do with your mix ratio. If you are using it with no problems on yourself you will most likely not have any problems with others either. Retention+ is so easy to use, why shouldn't you use it on other clients? Yes, a class will help you to understand the product better, but there is no reason you should not try it out on others.

The client has been into something. Retention + does not discolour in the sun. Also it was surface discolouration which would indicate she has used something which has discoloured them.

I've done the same thing with myself, I use that Dove lotion with a bit of self tanner, and didn't wash my hands after for some bizzare reason, and it turned my french a funny brown(and funny orange palms). Totally my own fault.

Lucky for me I was only a few days from my next fill appointment, so I told my tech what I had done so she could be sure to buff off all the discolored bits. She was v nice about it, but GOD I felt silly. Now I scrub that stuff off my hands EVERY time.

I have since done another full set on this lady, and she came back on Friday for her 2 weekly maint appointment, no problems at all...so we have concluded that it must of been either the aftersun or sunscreen that she was using whilst on hols.

thanks everyone for your replies.:hug:

Latest posts

Back