Problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn24

Reaction score
Hi,

I have only started a nail technicians course and so far I have only done gel nails but the thing is every set i have done so far have fallen off or chipped. Could someone please tell me if they have any tips for applying gel and the nail tip and exactly how thick shoulds the gel be.
All tips would be great.

thanks

Carolyn24 said:
Hi,

I have only started a nail technicians course and so far I have only done gel nails but the thing is every set i have done so far have fallen off or chipped. Could someone please tell me if they have any tips for applying gel and the nail tip and exactly how thick shoulds the gel be.
All tips would be great.

thanks
What products are you using and what is your prep. give us a step by step on your prep and we can help you

As with most things the key is in your preparation. With regard to the gel chipping off, if it is coming off the tip area then you must make sure you file off all the surface shine or the gel is fighting against a smooth surface and has nothing to "grab" onto and so chips or lifts straight off. Thickness is a difficult one to address over the internet, but LCN teach by placing a "pea" sized blob in the apex area and this should be enough for the whole nail - ll-ttle bit less for pinkie and little bit more for thumb - float it back to the cuticle area and forward to the free edge. It must be flush with the nail at the cuticle end otherwise this will cause it to lift as it reduces the flexibility.

I too had this problem and you need to make sure you are capping the free edge i was advised to do this and havent had as much problem with the gel chipping x

My GUESS is that the brand of gel is crap. (especially so if you are preparing correctly) I say this becuase the first gel i started using would come off all the time, then i changed to Bio Sculpture Gel and wolah!.....no comming off!!:biggrin: :)

I think the reason is not good quality gel or bad preparation of nails. When I did my first set with crapy gel (thanks god that I did it on friend) I has exactly same problem and started loose confidence in myself because I was 100% certain I prepared them correctly. My friend suggested to try good quality and well known gel system - I did not have any probs!!! I there where some problems it was only my clients fault (reparing motorbyke with help of nails and so on)...

thanks for the info girls.....could you tell me if ultra nails are a good or bad brand of gel.

Ultra Nails - i personally havent heard of them? but i maybe being thick lol, i use NSI Balance Gel and really love it, i have had numerous problems with numerous gels but love the consistency of this gel and i can work with it really well x

Good quality gels include.

IBD, LCN, BRisa (Creative Nail Design), Faze (designer Nails), Akzents, Biosculpture and Calgel.

Remember that soak-off gels aenot as strong as buff-off gels.

Latest posts

Back