Procedure for acrylic application

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarShine

Reaction score
Hi, I am newly qualified as a nail tech and wanted to pick all your brains. I was taught to apply acrylis the following way...cut and file natural nails to a short length, push back cuticles and tidy up nail plate, buff natural nail, apply alcohol, glue on nail tip, cut and file to desired shape/length, then blend the tip to the natural nail so you can't see the join, then apply the acrylic. But I have heard of other nail techs in my area who do not blend the tip to natural nail. They buff natural nail plate, apply alcohol, then primer, glue nail tip on and then go straight on with the acrylic. Do you not see the join? And should the nail tip not be buffed slightly for the acrylic to adhere? Can anyone give me advice? As I am newly qualified and just want to know the best way going forward? X

I was taught in the same way as you, and to apply white acrylic ove the tip, then fill in the nail plate with pink acrylic.
Since qualifying and providing acrylics to clients, a lot of ladies have told me that theyd much prefer me to apply a white french tip which needs no buffing, then to apply a sheer pink/clear all over the nail as this takes less time!
I think there are many ways of doing acrylics and its a case of trial and error/each to their own!

white french tip that needs no blending, sorry not buffing!

white french tip that needs no blending, sorry not buffing!
Thanks for the reply! I have just been using clear tips and acrylic so far. I still blend the tip before applying the acrylic but it would be so much quicker to not blend and just apply the acrylic. But worried the join would show through and also that the acrylic would not adhere to the tip as it will be shiny!

You can do it without blending, yep you will see the line but if you are putting polish over them it doesn't matter. You do need to remove the surface shine from the tip but many on the market now are already matt so no shine to remove.

That's really helpful. Yes, I suppose that is true, you wouldn't need to worry about seeing the join if you put polish or gel over the top. Thanks for replying x

Keep in mind though if you do not reduce the thickness of the tip you will have a weaker nail.

The tip provides no strength at all it only acts as a platform for you to lay the product on, therefore if you do not thin out the tip , you will have less acrylic in that area or thicker looking nails.

Even if I was adding colour to an enhancement i would always make the tip as thin as possible :)

Hi, I am newly qualified as a nail tech and wanted to pick all your brains. I was taught to apply acrylis the following way...cut and file natural nails to a short length, push back cuticles and tidy up nail plate, buff natural nail, apply alcohol, glue on nail tip, cut and file to desired shape/length, then blend the tip to the natural nail so you can't see the join, then apply the acrylic. But I have heard of other nail techs in my area who do not blend the tip to natural nail. They buff natural nail plate, apply alcohol, then primer, glue nail tip on and then go straight on with the acrylic. Do you not see the join? And should the nail tip not be buffed slightly for the acrylic to adhere? Can anyone give me advice? As I am newly qualified and just want to know the best way going forward? X

Hi. I use CND formation tips and they are already buffed. I do blend the tip and a 'tip' I pick up which may speed things up for you is using a cotton bud dipped in acetone I quickly wipe the area to blend. This weakens the tip and literally takes seconds to blend. Use the barest amount tho. Don't drench the Hi. just a reminder that you hv a nail appointment today at or you'll compromise the enhancements. Hope this helps.

You can do it without blending, yep you will see the line but if you are putting polish over them it doesn't matter. You do need to remove the surface shine from the tip but many on the market now are already matt so no shine to remove.
I can't bear not to blend though .... Sod's law they'll want a French when you infill [emoji51]

I can't bear not to blend though .... Sod's law they'll want a French when you infill [emoji51]

Me too sista!!

I dont understand well-less tips either....surely there will be a ledge underneath where the natural nail ends, this spells picking and dirt catching to me

Latest posts

Back