Product advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hair100

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a hairdresser of 17yrs, Ive rented a chair in a salon for the last two years. When I first started it was a really nice salon and things have slipped massively over the last 12 months. At the start we sold products (they weren't the best but at least we had something!) so for the last 12months we've had no products to sell to clients, we are allowed to get our own products in but we're not allowed to advertise them on the shop floor.
Recently we've been in talks about getting something back in but hes now just informed us that his accountant says that its not financially viable.

There are so many other issues here but we are a great team of girls (beauty and hair) that it would be a shame to leave.

Has anyone been through something similar or have any suggestions?

Thanks

You are your own self contained business when renting a chair.

It is entirely up to you what products to retail to clients and the Salon owner cannot dictate terms such as no advertising of products, otherwise he risks HMRC classing the chair renters as his employees. If that happened, he'd be faced with a massive bill for recovering unpaid tax, NI, etc.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/vtaxpermanual/vtaxper69100.htm

Take back some control. Print a copy of the guidance off and stick it...under his nose.

Thanks for your reply AcidPerm, you're so right, the trouble is that there are a lot of self employed stylist in the salon. We can't each use different products, some can't afford to. So for 1 or 2 stylists to get some nice retail products and the rest not too could cause some problems.

Also, the owner has had many personal issues over the past few years, his wife left him and other things. He is unapproachable, gets upset when there are any issues etc. We don't have staff meetings as they upset him!

Each and every one of the 9 self employed people that work there are frustrated, but like I said before, we all get on so well and none of us want to leave and go elsewhere.

Thanks for your reply AcidPerm, you're so right, the trouble is that there are a lot of self employed stylist in the salon. We can't each use different products, some can't afford to. So for 1 or 2 stylists to get some nice retail products and the rest not too could cause some problems.

Also, the owner has had many personal issues over the past few years, his wife left him and other things. He is unapproachable, gets upset when there are any issues etc. We don't have staff meetings as they upset him!

Each and every one of the 9 self employed people that work there are frustrated, but like I said before, we all get on so well and none of us want to leave and go elsewhere.
Why can't you each use different products? Why can't you buy in say £200 of retail and tell everyone that if they can sell a bottle for you they get x amount commission? No brainer to me, I sell goldwell and my colleague sells osmo but if her client wants a goldwell product she can have it! And I give my colleague a little something to say thank you for the sale. My colleague hasn't bought any retail stock in for nearly a year and I've bought in a few grands worth, it's not caused any problems? She can't afford to buy much retail. Simple! I can so why should I not? As for the owner having s tough time it's not your problem please don't feel sorry for them when they can't even be bothered to listen to you when u have an issue! You put his or her dinner in the table and keep a roof over their head they should be treasuring you and doing anything possible to help your businesses thrive!

Latest posts

Back