Product Control!! Part 1 – Mix ratio

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
If you want to have perfect control with your brush, it does go hand in hand that you must also have perfect control of your product.

Despite claims to the contrary by some companies, it is essential to mix your product correctly, and there is no such thing as a product that works and lasts perfectly, no matter what ratio of liquid to powder you use!! It would be nice, but it is not real life.

Obviously there is an ‘ideal’ mix (which varies with different products), however it is not the end of the world, and you will not encounter big problems, if your mix varies either toward slightly too wet or slightly too dry. The problems come when one is way out on either side of the perfect mixture. Not only will there be problems with the enhancements you produce, but your brush will not be able to control the bead, which will make your life as a nail technician much more difficult than it needs to be. Learn to make the correct mix always. Here’s how!

There are so many ways to achieve the correct mix, and they are all right, if at the end of the day, you have got it right! Brushes vary as to how much liquid they hold and people vary as to how long they leave the brush in the powder etc.

To try to help you, I will tell you my method and you can give it a try ...
I use a Creative Prostyler Brush. It is important to know how much liquid your brush holds.

To make a medium size bead: First (when starting with a dry brush) gently flatten out your brush in the bottom of the dappen dish of monomer, to release all the air that is trapped in the brush. Fully load your brush with liquid. Now …. Draw your brush gently but firmly out against the side of the dappen dish (not just the tip of the brush but draw down the entire length of the hairs of the brush from the shaft to flags) this will flatten the brush and release some of the liquid... do this first on one side of the brush and then the other. Use medium pressure (the hairs of the brush should not bend) and watch the side of the dappen dish to see how much you have squeezed out. It is surprising how much liquid is released from the brush.

Next balance your wrist on the table near the dappen dish and, holding your brush so that the handle is straight up in the air ... draw a line in your powder, with only the flags of the brush, about 1/4 of an inch long.

Lift the brush out of the powder and then watch the bead absorb the powder. It should take about 2 seconds or the time it takes you to say going ..going .. gone! (as if you were counting to 3)

If the powder has absorbed straight away and has a slick shiny appearance, before you can finish saying, “going, going gone”, then the bead is too wet. If there is still a bit of powder on the top of the bead that is not being absorbed, then it is too dry …

If too wet, try again doing everything exactly the same but remember to either keep your brush in the powder a little longer, by drawing your line a little longer, or alternately, squeeze a bit more liquid out of your brush, before drawing your line the same length as before. One thing or the other has to be changed to alter the mix ratio of the bead.

If too dry, start again and remember to draw your line a little shorter this time.

Never wipe your brush prior to dipping into the powder in order to eliminate liquid from your brush. This is a costly waste of liquid, creates much more vapour in the air, and therefore more smell. It also creates an overexposure hazard.

The tell tale signs of a mix that is incorrect are that if the product is a bit difficult to handle once you start to work it on the nail (either difficult to control or difficult to press out) then your mix ratio is wrong. Your bead should be easy to handle and to control and there should be no residue of product left on your brush when you finish working the bead.

Once you have the method that works for you - do it every time. You'll need to have a method for small, medium and large beads. Usually this is only a matter of releasing a bit more liquid from the brush when you want to size down.

Once you have created a bead that has the look of wet sugar or wet snow, press the bead onto the nail - and take a breath (again like your counting to 3) - before starting to work the bead. In other words, give the polymerization process a chance to get going for a second or two before you start to press out the bead. By relaxing a little and letting the process get going, you will eliminate the chance of bubbles in your product. You will know when to start working the bead when it changes and looks nice and shiny and wet on the nail.

Important things to remember

Only dip the flags of the brush into the powder when creating a bead.

Make sure your fingers do not come into contact with any monomer liquid when holding your brush.

Thanks geeg.
clap.gif
What a family! :)

Jo xx

Geeg these tutorials are excellent, I'm printing them all off and keeping them in a file, like I said last week not having pics really does make your brain work!! J x

I'm so pleased everyone seems to be finding them helpful.

I have 4 more in the pipeine. Product control parts 2,3 &4 which take application zone by zone, and one on how to do all the different nail styles, ovel, square, squoval etc etc.

If there are more subjects you would like covered, then let me know and I will do a tutorial on it for you. All ideas are welcome.

Thanks Geeg. I will give your method a try.

Jeni

My mix ratio is now much better thanks to your help - excellent article!

Thank you for an excellent article! I'm only in training at the moment and this has really been helpful. Can't wait for the piece on nail shaping, as I'm having major problems with shaping (my nails look more like paddles that nails).
Thanks again.
Tina

I am not sure of the correct terminology but here goes. I was taught how to do a french manicure using white/pink and I attemtpted it on (1) nail at class. Sure enough in the weekend I wanted to put it to practice and practised on my sister.

One thing, we were given a nail kit at the beg of this course and some of the stuff, brush and buffers are not very good. My brush was a tiny one and even the tutor agreed...my question was why did she order a crap brush in the first place?.

The nails were paddles with its thickness, however from a distance they looked great, close up..well not so great. I took a photo of them for reference.
I will remove them in the weekend.

My next set at class were fantastic as I used the tutors brush, but I was overwhelmed by how good the nails turned out. We have only started learning how to apply nails last week but with practice makes perfect. I have a long way to go but to those trainees like myself practice,practice,practice. Goodluck

My point is having a good brush along with mix ratio is important as I am still getting the feel of it. It is difficult when you need a good brush. I am in the process of getting one through Envy... Thanks.

The mix ratio is absolutely essential...thanks for the advice.
Cheers...Lilliewhite

:rolleyes: Thanks so much for your help.:)
I was going to ask today if anyone could help on this very important issue.

I am doing a college course and why o why do they not make this a lesson on its own:eek:

If you do not get this right and it is very difficult to do so well...:mad:
It never ceases to amaze me how so many things in life seem so difficult but are not really. You get me drift:rolleyes:

So off to practice:green:

hi i changed product opi to creative i am using retention.what brush do you suggest to buy,like a small one for small nail beds and a bit bigger for big nail beds.as i told u i change product and went to do training with creative mix ratio is good she said,prep is good and still i have some client which they lift 1 or 2 from the cuticle.i keep mine for 4 weeks but they will distroy them in even 2 weeks.is it true will chemical clining products l/p lifts?breakege i don't have but this kind of lifting i will.i do perfect nails,nailart and airbrush too but i get so upset when i see this fr---- lifting.with client whom work in an office and do infills every two weeks i be ok but with house wifes oh my godddddd.
thank you and well done for your fab website keep it up.

hi i changed product opi to creative i am using retention.what brush do you suggest to buy,like a small one for small nail beds and a bit bigger for big nail beds.as i told u i change product and went to do training with creative mix ratio is good she said,prep is good and still i have some client which they lift 1 or 2 from the cuticle.i keep mine for 4 weeks but they will distroy them in even 2 weeks.is it true will chemical clining products l/p lifts?breakege i don't have but this kind of lifting i will.i do perfect nails,nailart and airbrush too but i get so upset when i see this fr---- lifting.with client whom work in an office and do infills every two weeks i be ok but with house wifes oh my godddddd.
thank you and well done for your fab website keep it up.

I agree with mary sammut e mail as it is happening to me and i am yhonking to change product again.

Could you advise me what the problem is?

thanks.

Manuela

These are so helpful, thank you thank you thank you x

hi ,,,,
thank you for all the info that you give out.. although i have not started my course yet {i do it in 2 weeks} already the things that i am finding out is excellant and valueable... i have done some nails before,,, i got some full kits in the USA,, and they are quite good... but i can't wait till i know how to do it right...

so a BIG thank you again

Thanks for that tut, I was having trouble with my beads and now I know why. Thanks.

Life would be so much easier if you could just but l&p already mixed up lol :green:

Hi there,
Just read the tutorial.. thanks it was great... just wondering
I don;t use a Dappen dish... I have a pump.. can you please tell me what i need to do with that?.
I have been doing white tips for 13 mths now and want to start getting into colour tip... but some time the colour does not look the same... there is a little bit of marbling effect..

I guess it is due to getting the mix wrong...
any tips
Thank Mel

hi,
Thanks for that very helpfull.
xxsandraxx

Hi there,
Just read the tutorial.. thanks it was great... just wondering
I don;t use a Dappen dish... I have a pump.. can you please tell me what i need to do with that?.
I have been doing white tips for 13 mths now and want to start getting into colour tip... but some time the colour does not look the same... there is a little bit of marbling effect..

I guess it is due to getting the mix wrong...
any tips
Thank Mel
It'e from using a pump sweetie- dump it and go back to a dish- I use an aluminum dog dish from CND- LOVE IT, and it gives me a VERY clean wipe. They are hard to find, but i bet SOMEONE on this site knows where to find ONE. :)

This has helped me alot I use this method with the whole pressing the brush down (you can see the air bubbles float to the top) but for some reason I always thought I was doing it wrong. The wet suger/snow bit has really helped.

Latest posts

Back