Product that went all gooey when being soaked off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marilyn

I had to soak off L & P overlays on a new client today and it did not soak off like anything I have done before.
Her overlays were soooo thick I just couldnt believe it, the regrowth was almost halfway down her nail but the overlays held very firmly. I tried to file them first to get rid of some of the thickness and length before soaking. The length was fine but the thickness just didnt want to file down. What did come off was a much finer powder than what I usually get when filing product. When I did soak off the product it went all rubbery and gooey almost like glue, it took ages to come off and even then I am not 100% sure I got all of it off.
I have redone the overlays using Retention+ and they are much thinner and better looking and she was very pleased with them even though she seemed to be here forever!
Could this poduct have been MMA it just seemd so different to anything I have come accross and she did say her other nail tech came from the Philipines so maybe they are bringing in MMA products. She was quite surprised when I did PREP on her as they never did any PREP on her at all yet the overlays held firmly with no lifting at all.
Any ideas on this would be helpful for future reference.

I have never come across MMA personally so don't know exactly, but what you are describing sounds like it - I've read somewhere that MMA has a fishy smell - could be wrong tho!

(P.S. I used to live in Bicester - Ambrosden to be exact!)

You should be glad NOT to live in Ambrosden at the moment after last weeks bed news!!!

What bad news - I havnt heard???

I just did a soak off and full set tonight on my very good friend. She had been to a chop shop a couple of months ago, and we've been waitng for the nail to grow out and take the mma acrylic with it (and yes I'm positive that it was mma acrylic, I've been to that shop before and know that smell). I had been applying over it and rebalancing as best I could, because I knew how long the soak off process would take. So about 2/3 of her nail was my ezflow acrylic, and the top 1/3 of the nail was their crap. It took about 20 minutes to get my stuff off, and another hour and a half of soaking and filing to get the other off. Still, on her right thumb nail I couldn't get it off to save my life. I filed it as much as I could, but it didn't budge. Guess we'll have to wait until that nail grows out. It had an awful musky feet smell and it didn't come off the same way that the rest of the acrylic did. My acrylic kind of feels like bubbly jello after it's been soaked, and it comes off with an orange stick. This stuff would get kind of tacky on the top layer, I'd file that off, soak again and repeat. NOT FUN! I made her swear that she'd never go there again!

Definately sounds like mma to me.You can even smell it just by filing the product nevermind soak off.It tends to be all stringy when you soak it off too.Its very time consuming hence why they just use pliers to whack the stuff off in nss.I've soaked off loads off mma nails before.There is at least two nss on every high street where i live.I really wish something could be done about these salons they give the rest of the industry a bad name.I've had clients say "but i thought having your nails done was supossed to hurt" and "but i thought you couldn't do nails without a drill".anyway i'll stop now as anti-mma and nss are two the things i feel most passionate about.sorry to ramble on.

We have an NSS in Fareham, they don't use MMA (at least it doesn't seem to be as it soaks off quite quickly) but it does go all gooey when you soak it in acetone, it's horrible stuff.

louisenewell said:
Definately sounds like mma to me.You can even smell it just by filing the product nevermind soak off.It tends to be all stringy when you soak it off too.Its very time consuming hence why they just use pliers to whack the stuff off in nss.I've soaked off loads off mma nails before.There is at least two nss on every high street where i live.I really wish something could be done about these salons they give the rest of the industry a bad name.I've had clients say "but i thought having your nails done was supossed to hurt" and "but i thought you couldn't do nails without a drill".anyway i'll stop now as anti-mma and nss are two the things i feel most passionate about.sorry to ramble on.
Yep, definitely was like you are describing as it did go stringy as well as gooey when I tried to soak it off and I had to use a white block to try and take off each layer as it went gooey, as it didnt soften and go like jelly as product usually does when you soak it off.

hi, where do they get the stuff with the mma in it? is it not illegal? and why do they use it, is it cos its cheap or what? sorry if i seem a bit green! oh, and what does nss stand for?

nss is non standard salon.Normally where your nails get drilled to an inch before their life,nails are put on in 40 minutes and the white tips airbrushed.The nails are yanked off when removed and the majority of nail techs in these salons don't talk any english.I don't know where you buy mma from.It is illegal in many states in the U.S because of the damage it does but amazingly still legal in this country.It is really cheap to buy hence why most of these nss charge £20 for a set of nails.When i talk to my clients about "...but the salon down the road only charges me £20..." i normally tell them that if someone charges so little for a set of nails its worth questioning exactly what they are using.You can do a search on mma on this site.Its worth a read.My passion about or shall i say my dislike for these salons actually caused a massive fall out with my old boss.Because she felt i was lecturing clients on where they have there nails done.But the way i see it i'm not just here to make nice nails but educate clients on how to care for them etc.

Sorry its a long one people.you'll soon learn not to get me started on nss and mma.

they're bound to not even have insurance then, am i right? heard bout mma, no nss salons round here, not that im aware of anyway! cant believe they're in england now, thought it was just an american thing.

Latest posts

Back