Products that damage enhancements?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuicyLucy

Reaction score
I'd like to make a list of things that can damage nail enhancements (mainly gel polish).

So far I know the following things can cause problems:
Lime scale removers
Products containing DEET (insect repellents & some suncreams)
Pantene hair products (for some reason)
Elvive conditioner (again for some unknow reason to me, but I know it contains isopropyl alcohol)
Vasaline (or petroleum products)
Some alcohol gels (but again I don't know the exact ingredient that causes problems)

I have a couple of clients who get lifting and I know for sure it's something they are using, but its just so hard to pin it down. It would be great to be able to give these clients a list of ingredients they can check for in products they are using.

So what else can everyone add to the list?

E45
Curry powder/tumeric - staining rather than damage
Tanning creams/lotions - again, staining rather than damage
New jeans - always discolours the tips (black/blue)
Pandora bracelet clasps
Credit cards....go with me.....one of mine constantly ruins the middle finger free edge of her right hand, drove me to distraction tryng to work out what was causing it, until I watched her take her credit card out of her purse! She kind of slides her middle fingernail down the length of the card to get a hold of it to pull it out of the slot in her purse - exactly where the FE chips and the flaking starts.......I knew it was something she did subconciously but actually seeing her do it was a revelation :rolleyes:

LOVING this thread [emoji173]️

Bleach, Mr Muscle, Cillit Bang, any product saying "do not use on acrylic baths"

Strong anti-ageing creams and eye creams, I'm not sure of the ingredient tho

Milton baby steriliser

Milton baby steriliser
Toothpaste - I could feel hairspray on my nails so I cleaned them with my elec toothbrush + toothpaste and it made the top coat go sticky and dull.

Toothpaste - I could feel hairspray on my nails so I cleaned them with my elec toothbrush + toothpaste and it made the top coat go sticky and dull.
lol ive never heard of cleaning ur nails with a toothbrush and paste before!

lol ive never heard of cleaning ur nails with a toothbrush and paste before!

I've heard of whitening toothpaste and a toothbrush to help eliminate yellow staining on natural nails, but not for a general wash and brush up!! LOL :p

It would be great if we could pin down the exact ingredients that cause the problems. So far, I only really know DEET

Argan oil Hair products, even the shampoo. Ive had two clients having problems and use this. Obviously the oil just doesnt wash off your hands properly...... Or else its pure coincidence
And hair gel!(barbers that use it a lot!)

Oil on cured product won't cause damage though. Is there anything else in the products.

Clarins hand cream! [emoji51]
Myself and 3 clients used to use it and I couldn't work out why their nails wouldn't last. Stopped using the hand cream and the problems went away. Don't know what ingredient is in it that caused it though x

I've heard of whitening toothpaste and a toothbrush to help eliminate yellow staining on natural nails, but not for a general wash and brush up!! LOL :p
you learn something new every day! im still new to all this though so im sure i will find out much more along the way!

Myself and 3 clients used to use it and I couldn't work out why their nails wouldn't last. Stopped using the hand cream and the problems went away. Don't know what ingredient is in it that caused it though x

Check for lanolin or petroleum jelly (as in vaseline) both have caused issues with my clients

you learn something new every day! im still new to all this though so im sure i will find out much more along the way!

Whitening washing powder works too, as does lemon juice (all bleaching products, obviously the lemons are a better choice for regular use but occasionally the washing powder will be fine) :cool:

Here's the Clarins hand cream ingredients list, anybody recognise anything? I don't know why but I thought Clarins was really pure and would only have a few ingredients ! Lol

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1450770293.830770.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1450770293.830770.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 53
Im a clarins trained therapist & when i worked with their products i couldnt have gel polish on my nails, it would only stay on a few days. Their products are not natural or pure, ha ha x

I use Clarins hand cream without a problem [emoji15] x

Im a clarins trained therapist & when i worked with their products i couldnt have gel polish on my nails, it would only stay on a few days. Their products are not natural or pure, ha ha x
Oh no. [emoji17] I thought they were one of the good guys x

Latest posts

Back