Products - where do you buy yours??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Products where do ya get em - truthfully!

• Sole distributor - ie proper company

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • independent franchise company

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Reputable company who buys in bulk and sells on cheaper than other businesses

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • My mate from down the road - nudge nudge, wink wink - oo watch out for the copper lol

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • auction site - lets take a gamble on the pretty pot - is it the real deal or is it not?????

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other - please explain!

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

Snugglepuss

Reaction score
A recent thread has again highlighted the difference in opinions where we buy our products from.

This for me is a really interesting process - Imho, I will always try to buy the "real deal" so to speak. If I can get it cheaper from a reputable company, even better BUT I do not condone fraudulent, copy catting etc.

If a reputable company has bought a huge shipment and is able to sell this "cheaper" than your local salon and is more accessible (eg click of a button or a phone call - opposed to travelling etc) what would you do?

What I would like to say is that, as a shrewd business person(s), we have to factor into our business plans the lowest and highest possible financial income AND we have to be aware of what our competition is charging - if they are charging a real low price we need to be asking questions such as why? why are they charging so little? why is there a huge difference in my price and theirs? and a hundred and one other things!

We can not assume just because we think that we are right that, we are! boy if you do then you will sure as eggs are eggs get egg on your face!

We have to review question and push forward continually to achieve our goals! I for one, continually look to see and compare how I can keep astride of things.

It is NOT my fault if a company charges less and achieves more BUT it is my fault if I do not look at how I can improve things to achieve the above goals I have set myself.

I'm in no way saying undercut what I/you are worth but you need to be realistic and understand that it is a cut throat business - just like the majority of business are these days!

Attached is a poll, names hidden and multi choice happy voting geeky ones!

I buy from my local distributors.....I find what I need ..get reputable stuff ....and get wholesale prices.....if I have a complaint ...I ALWAYS get help in resolving it .....
with other company's that are not on the up and up...no way ...not worth the hassle....

I'm ratting myself out, and I voted "other".

I shop at Nailiteinc.com for the bulk of my stuff, my gel comes from a local dist/school (EZ Flow), my files from PremierNailsource, and my art junk from Ebay (jewellery, feathers, decals) AND lastly, found some rhinestones/glitter and other fun stuff at dollar stores.

I PREFER professional distributors. I would NEVER buy gel or similar from Ebay. Mind you, art stuff is a whole other ball game.

I PREFER Nailite to local distributor because the price difference is HUGE and also, much of the local dist's stock COMES from Nailite.. (go figure lol learned that quite by accident haha) Why on earth would I pay as much as 5 times the price, for some things? I would have to be nuts. :eek:

So, I couldn't check off only one. It depended on what product we're talking about.

hth's

I suspect that this thread is going to go sour pretty fast.

Everyone wants 'a good deal' and of course there is nothing wrong with getting 'a good deal' as long as it is legal and legit. However reputable source do not 'stumble' upon large quantities of professional products. This is called 'diversion' and is a cancer in our industry. Go look at what is happening to the hair industry in the US to get a preview of the effects of diversion. Then try and sleep at night while you promote it.

Did you ever consider the economics of diversion and 'saving a couple quid?' For instance if you look at the cost per application of each service you perform and break down the cost of application with goods purchased through your distributor versus buying somewhere off of the back of a truck - you will find that you could reach savings upward of 5 or 10 pence per application! WOOOHOOO! That makes a huge difference in your pocketbook doesn't it? That amount is going to make you FAR more competitive against the budget salon isn't it? Then lets look at what your local distributor pays for; the advertising you see (that makes you want it), the education you get (that makes you successful), the articles you read (which develops you professionally). That's ok... screw them - you need to be more competitive against those budget salons!

When the hell did the profession start to lose so many of the core values that it takes to be a professional?

Sorry for the rant... I am just sensing a real 'cheapening' of the profession around here. A desire to get stuff on the cheap is no different than a consumers desire to get nail enhancments on the cheap which is why budget salons exist. By virtue of supporting diversion, you support what you are trying to fight. All the while disempowering the companies that invest in you and your profession. Ironic eh?

Then lets look at what your local distributor pays for; the advertising you see (that makes you want it), the education you get (that makes you successful), the articles you read (which develops you professionally). That's ok... screw them - you need to be more competitive against those budget salons!

I am just sensing a real 'cheapening' of the profession around here. A desire to get stuff on the cheap is no different than a consumers desire to get nail enhancments on the cheap which is why budget salons exist. By virtue of supporting diversion, you support what you are trying to fight. All the while disempowering the companies that invest in you and your profession. Ironic eh?

My local distributor all the way for me, for many reasons and loyalty being a major one.....

Thanks for the above Sam, it makes things really clear....

Hopi ear candles

This is a real bear bug at how expensive they are.
I only use the original Biosun one, and have spent hours on the net trawling the sites to find a good deal.

I used to buy in bulk from Revital, but its £300 to pull out. I used to get them, and you got some pairs for free. It then worked out to be £3.50 a pair, and I would sell on to my colleagues and place that I worked at for that price. My reward was keeping the free pairs.

I'm not in a position to order so many now, and to buy them the prices range from £4.30 - 7.99.

When I worked at a spa and provided the treatment for them (they couldn't do it on their own insurance apparently), the manager let slip that they paid £2 from Ellisons.

So it really annoys:irked:me at the varied prices.

i voted sole distributor as thats where i buy the bulk of my stock from weather it be osns at leeds or nsi online.

The only time i buy from other sources, ie, dennis williams, sallys, ellisons etc is if i run low on nails wipes, files, buffers etc.

I have and still do buy of ebay but its just for rhinestones and arty farty bits and bobs and NEVER products like L&P or GEL, i just wouldnt risk it!

My local distributor, of course! I am surrounded by CND products all day, why would I go anywhere else?

I purchase most of my products from my local distributors but I also purchase certain items like buffers and files from wholesalers.

If a reputable company could provide me with products I already get from my local distributors at a better price of course I would purchase from them but I know that the prices of my local distributors are better than I'll get from any other reputable company without some sort of compromise being made re quality of products, etc.

I purchase most of my products from my local distributors but I also purchase certain items like buffers and files from wholesalers.

If a reputable company could provide me with products I already get from my local distributors at a better price of course I would purchase from them but I know that the prices of my local distributors are better than I'll get from any other reputable company without some sort of compromise being made re quality of products, etc.
Couldnt agree more there Christine...and thats why i choose an authorised distributor for my products:)

Just a thought, but we all complain (well some of us..:lol:) about the effect the cheep but not so great nail techs have on our business...how the NSS's that pop up all over the place take our custom...i think its much the same.

I can see how the distributors feel with having these other places popping up who are not registered distributors the same as i can see how we feel having these NSS popping up down the road.

As the NSS cheapen what we do so the unregistered distributors do the same.

professional products ie my nail enhanceing equipment l&p etc...reputable allways have allways will i buy from my distributor i am a bulk twice a year buyer from the nail shows.as a professional i wouldnt buy anywhere else............i support my company and my distributors
ok as a consumer.......then a legit company of course but which ever "legit" supplier offers me a best value for money......
As qvc came up before.....yes i am an avid buyer make up, and candles pmsl .........AS A CONSUMER
...but just an example eg of qvc opi enamels.....sold by opi through qvc......cheaper than actually buying sometimes direct....this wouldnt hurt opi because it is them that actually sell through qvc....or am i wrong.

I don't buy from QVC or other places like that (I don't watch much tv tbh). I buy from trade shows and suppliers.
BUT this is business and there are no real friends in business are there?
We PAY for the training we get and we PAY for the products we buy.
As long as it is legal I don't understand the problem here?
If QVC sell OPI products then surely they must actually get them from OPI?

Then lets look at what your local distributor pays for; the advertising you see (that makes you want it), the education you get (that makes you successful), the articles you read (which develops you professionally). That's ok... screw them - you need to be more competitive against those budget salons!

I don't understand this post Samuel.
Are you saying that if you are successful you need to be forever indebted to the company that trained you?
Every tech must surely be grateful for the excellent training they receive (I certainly am)but at the end of the day it's not a gift it is paid for and after the training finishes it is up to the tech to keep improving on their skills?
Budget salons come and go and we all love a bargain at the end of the day. But the majority are happy with the products and services they get from their distributors.
Budget salons can kiss my *** tbh.

Local distributors for professional products and wholesalers for sundry items.

I get 99% of my stock from the OSNS at leeds, i am a shopaholic and just love the whole shopping experience in there,
the other 1% would be the nail art bits i get from ebay :smack:

Are we talking buying products as a salon professional or for personal use?

As a nail professional I buy only from reccomended outlets... however, as a nailtech looking for a skin product or hair product I would buy from whichever 'legal outlet' can provide me with the best products for the best price.
What I mean is this... I understand the importance of using professionally recommended products, however, as a consumer I will ALWAYS be watching the pennies and if I can get the same product for less from another reputable source then I will.. what's the difference in products? none... the difference in price can be HUGE!!! (for the same product!)

If I can buy a professional hair or skin product from a salon for (for example) £25.00 and get the same product elsewhere for £17.00 + £3.00 p+p then which one would you choose???
That is, providing the outlet is either recommended OR knowing that they're not con artists!

This can be exasperating for a salon owner Sandi,as clients can buy products from "other outlets".

I will always support the salon owner,and small business that provide the professional brand to the consumer.Thats just me...we are all different:green:

BUT this is business and there are no real friends in business are there?
We PAY for the training we get and we PAY for the products we buy.
As long as it is legal I don't understand the problem here?

It may be true to some that 'there are no friends in business' - then again I like to think that doesn't have to be true at all. Good business comes from a good ethos and good support for your customers needs. After all, how many of your clients are 'not friends'? My clients may not have been those I would have driven to the airport at 5am for their summer holidays (like I would a good friend) however I always considered them 'business friends' and I would always strive to take care of them.

Overall, education doesn't pay for itself. There may be some exceptions, however when you go and do a course that costs £100 and comes with product values over £120, then someone has to pay for the product, admin, advertising, educator expenses, rent, loo roll, electricity, etc... Education is an investment made by a distributor in it's customers.

If QVC sell OPI products then surely they must actually get them from OPI?

In this case, yes. In many cases - no. QVC sells a lot of diverted product (as do many mass retail outlets. Regardless - it isn't healthy for the salon profession. As a salon professional, I am very proud to say that I only support other salon professionals.

Are you saying that if you are successful you need to be forever indebted to the company that trained you?

Er, not at all. I guess I just see distribution as a partnership between professionals.

Many nail professionals take a financial hit on things like 'soak offs' as an 'investment of goodwill' to encourage new client retention. Imagine if your clients simply took the 'goodwill investment' (as it is a great financial deal for them!) and then cut their appointment short to run across the street to a budget salon because they could save a couple bob there (its a great financial deal for them!) even though the other salon may not have trained professionals, practise any hygiene, and they worked hazardously. Heck, how about it if the other salon actually sent the clients over to you for the cheap soak! Great deals are not always good ones.

Budget salons can kiss my *** tbh.

Hehe, yup. So can smuggler/diverters and those that support them :D

Truly Yours,

I buy from the distributor that way I know not only it is legal but that I am supporting the company :) I do buy the odd buffer etc from my local wholesalers but have never brought nail items via e-bay and never will or shipped in cheap from the USA. I am the same with everything in life If I like a perfume brand and I can buy it cheap say off the market I wouldn't I tend to buy from the companies themselves.

What is "diverters"???
I'm confused on that one.:confused:

Latest posts

Back