Prof Peauty Mag Whinge Thread ....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glorsclaws

Photographic Geek
Reaction score
First off, appologies!!!

I usually find it quite tiresome when peeps start whinge threads about our industry mags as I feel they need our support in order for them to flourish and us to grow... but today I find I really cant stop myself from whingeing about Prof Beauty!

To start with, personally I quite like the format of the mag, it feels professional and a lot more slik.
There looks to be some interesting features for therapists, the mag has 136 pages.... but jeez just where are the nails!

The only mention of the Prof Beauty Birmingham that Ive found was one page of pics ... of little groups of people at the show reading Prof Beauty! :mad:

There's an OPI double-page pedi step-by-step and a page where 2 industry professionals give a for and against opinion on whether NSS should be 'banned'!
Can anyone else find any other features? am I just missing them as I thumb through the all the beauty/Spa stuff?

I want to give the magazine a chance but cant help feeling that the nails industry appears to be even more under-represented this month than it was last. I also cant help coming to the conclusion that maybe the reason they havent given nails a section of its own is because a couple of pages put back to back would emphasise just how little we're catered for now!
So, is this going to be it for us now I wonder?
To come from our own magazine to a just couple of pages, makes me feel very irrelevent as a nails only subscriber.

If any of you guys feel the same, or have points to make, maybe it might be worth writing them down, Ill gladly notify the editor of the thread, or perhaps get in touch with Chocolate who I know was going to put our opinions forward from last month.

Anyway, sorry for the rant... I just had to let it out as Im just so disappointed!

I haven't seen the mag but agree with your sentiment Glo.

We always seem to be 'second class citizens' when it comes to beauty. I do know that mags need to keep their advertisers happy and it's a fact of life that there are more big beauty companies with advertising budgets than nail companies.

I hope the new owners of PB are prepared to invest in us a bit otherwise it is a downward spiral: few nail articles, even fewer advertisers.....etc.

Ho hum, we've been here several times before

i again was really disappointed, i was with the last issue and even more so with this one.
i flicked through twice trying to find anything more than opi step by step and the for and against closing nss down...and nothing.
The thing is i have not been given this subscription through insurance i actually took out and paid for my professional nails subscription and in a way i feel i am being ripped off, i would have rather been told that number one, professional nails was no more and have the remainder of my subscription money back or....which is what i was hoping that the new professional beauty would be just as beneficial and interesting to me but there is nothing that is in this magazine that involves the industry that i am in...very disappointed

i agree....dissapointed.... but to be fair i haven't paid for it...it just came so i have nothing to grumble about really....unlike those who have paid.

i would love to see the mag sectioned....like the next directory for example...ladies...men...children...home......

then i could just turn to the section thats of interest to me and sit back and enjoy...(althought the section would be very small compared to the rest if there are only a few topics on nails in there)

It's a thumbs down for me too, we are trying to be our own industry in our own right and this just lets us down IMO.

Scratch is now my only read.

No I'm not impressed either.

I too received my second issue this morning. I agree that there seems to be even less nails than the last one. I found a small bit about file grits and a bit about removal of enhancements plus the articles already mentioned.

I appreciate that it does take time to make changes and the fact that Rachel and Sue only had the meeting with the powers that be a couple of weeks ago might mean that any changes could not be made for this issue.

I find that this is again demeening the nail industry as the poor relation. The Insider bit makes interesting reading but it also is very demoralising and might only serve to make nail technicians feel like giving up when we are comparing our retail to the retail amounts of the spas for example.

I am happy to wait as my subscription is paid until about August before I have to make a decision.

There is some good and interesting general business stuff but I too would like it partitioned as I said the last time - beauty, salon business, and nails.

Ok devils advocate now...............................lol

I do like the new prof beauty lay out but thats because I cover a range of treatments etc, but I have to say on the couple of occassions I have been able to get my hands on a copy of Prof Nails I was dissapointed anyway as I thought it was thin, not alot init etc. Now I may have fallen on to a cople of lesser issues, but it did make up my mind to subscribe to scratch and prof beauty on it's own. So for me I'm quite happy with new layout as I feel I'm getting value for money........ but that is just my opinion. But I can undersdatnd where Just nails are comming from.:hug:

When I first started doing nails, Prof Nails was incorporated inside Prof Beauty and after a while we were graced with our own mag and I was delighted!

Why have we gone backwards after going forwards?

im nt that impressed again either....

but if you dont get ppl contributing the where will the changes come in??......
maybe someone should email the editor........ (are the a geek??..if nt then why nt?...lol).... with their concerns and/or suggestions too....

.....it does seem like our wee industry is been put as a minority with regards to features... hopefull this will change in the next few months

im still nt to sure abotu the layout either... all a bit hickledy pickledy (how ever you spell that!...lol hopefully ykwim)

i guess/...... we will see.... i am so going to miss the ol pn mag tho... shame...... least we still have scratch ;)

Rant away hun, last month I read the mag and thought don't think I'll bother subscribing, not enough in it for me a nail stylist. 2 days after that I got my first scratch mag and WOW what a difference. As I sit here writing this I have the latest prof beauty mag on the table, but I have to admit, I haven't bothered to look through it yet. For me, not worth the money, I'm not a beauty tech I'm a nail tech Scratch does it for me and thats where I shall spend my money:lol:

i again was really disappointed, i was with the last issue and even more so with this one.
i flicked through twice trying to find anything more than opi step by step and the for and against closing nss down...and nothing.
The thing is i have not been given this subscription through insurance i actually took out and paid for my professional nails subscription and in a way i feel i am being ripped off, i would have rather been told that number one, professional nails was no more and have the remainder of my subscription money back or....which is what i was hoping that the new professional beauty would be just as beneficial and interesting to me but there is nothing that is in this magazine that involves the industry that i am in...very disappointed

Same as - I've paid for this too...... Well, if it doesn't improve I'm not renewing.....

I have emailed the editor - although I think others may have as well.

FAO Jenni Middleton

Hello Jenni,

I am a member of the Salon Geek forum and I would personally like to invite you to join, if you have not already. We are a group of many thousands of therapists, although not all are regular participants and we are not exclusive to the UK. However, most of the regulars are from the UK.

Kat Hanks was an active member of the forum and regularly asked for our opinions.

I do feel that the new Professional Beauty magazine is getting a slightly poor press due to the lack of nail features and I am sure you would like to address this for future issues.

I do hope you stop by and help us to help you and your magazine.

My name on the geek site is naturalnails and the web address is www.salongeek.com.

Best regards
Fiona Barron

It is a two way street as someone already said, if we dont get involved then they might not know what it is we want from our magazine.

I have received my 2nd free copy of the Mag today, there is even less on nails than there was last month, and I was oh so disappointed with the 1st one. I deffo will not be subscribing in the future. I only do nails and have no interest whatsoever in the bulk of the editorial the mag contains.

A Gigantic Thumbs Down from me

Joan

I was totally disapointed with the mag, I used to look forward to my copoy of Professional Nails . But now you really have to search for anything to do with nails . I dont think I will be re newing my subscription. I will stick to scratch.
:lol:

First off, appologies!!!

I usually find it quite tiresome when peeps start whinge threads about our industry mags as I feel they need our support in order for them to flourish and us to grow... but today I find I really cant stop myself from whingeing about Prof Beauty!

To start with, personally I quite like the format of the mag, it feels professional and a lot more slik.
There looks to be some interesting features for therapists, the mag has 136 pages.... but jeez just where are the nails!

The only mention of the Prof Beauty Birmingham that Ive found was one page of pics ... of little groups of people at the show reading Prof Beauty! :mad:

There's an OPI double-page pedi step-by-step and a page where 2 industry professionals give a for and against opinion on whether NSS should be 'banned'!
Can anyone else find any other features? am I just missing them as I thumb through the all the beauty/Spa stuff?

I want to give the magazine a chance but cant help feeling that the nails industry appears to be even more under-represented this month than it was last. I also cant help coming to the conclusion that maybe the reason they havent given nails a section of its own is because a couple of pages put back to back would emphasise just how little we're catered for now!
So, is this going to be it for us now I wonder?
To come from our own magazine to a just couple of pages, makes me feel very irrelevent as a nails only subscriber.

If any of you guys feel the same, or have points to make, maybe it might be worth writing them down, Ill gladly notify the editor of the thread, or perhaps get in touch with Chocolate who I know was going to put our opinions forward from last month.

Anyway, sorry for the rant... I just had to let it out as Im just so disappointed!

I got my mag this morning and haven't opened it yet but remember thinking exactly the same thing last month.

Don't get me wrong I am interested in the whole beauty side of things but I do nails and nails only.

Off to read all th other posts now as if I didn't write down what I thought first I would of forgot what I wanted to say:irked:.

Teri x:hug:

I've just got home to find mine on the door step. I've flicked through but didn't really see anything much of interest. Will probably have a better look through later on if tv's not too good later.
I was one of the ones who paid and I most definatly wont be re-subscribing unless something is done to bring back nails in the next 9 months.
I'm sure for a multi tasked therapist it is fab and I dare say we could probably get hints and tips from the other areas but it all seems to be about spa's and not us.

I too are one of the disappointed ones, i do some beauty treatments but nails are my first love and that is what i want to look at and read about, there are plenty of very talented techs around to help fill the pages so there is no excuse in my eyes
my subscription is due in July i think but i wont be bothering to renew it unless it improves dramatically,
i will stick to our reliable scratch mag

Latest posts

Back