Professional advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairbunny788

Reaction score
Hello :) I would like to hear your advice and opinion on my experience with this hairdresser.

Today I went to a hairdresser to bleach my hair with Olaplex. When I asked him for how long he leaves the bleach mixture on my hair- he said that ge doesn't go by times- he just estimates processing time by looking at the hair every couple minutes. He said that sometimes he leaves bleach on people's hair even for 2 hours straight if their hair is pretty dark. (mine is a level 3-4).
He mixed the bleach and only after that- He sectioned my hair without clipping - just sectioned it and laid it down, and then went out of the room to do something, and meanwhile the mixture just sits in the bowl waiting. so after 5 minutes from mixing the bleach he only started applying it onto my hair.
He started with the back of my head- the lower section, and it took him FOREVER to apply it, 17 minutes for the lower part of the backhead section, and he wasn't even halfway of that section- and there was two more sections to go which he hasn't even started touching . He let me cut his foils into pieces while he goes.
I realized then that he isn't fast enough and that it just takes him too much time, and maybe after an hour from starting he'd be finishing with the front sections. so I asked him to wash what he managed to apply so far and went home.
I was very disappointed bbecause I wanted to go to a professional, but felt like his work was very sloppy and unconsistent, and felt like if I'd let him finish with my whole head I'd walk out crying eventually.
**just to add, I brought him the materials- Wella Blondor, welloxon 20vol, olaplex no1 and no2, and Redken shades eq which we didn't ge to use**

please share your thoughts, that would be helpful.

Last edited:
I presume he’s either newly qualified or old school with the timings and leaving the bleach mix on longer than 50 minutes, as that’s just pointless. With very dark hair, it would need completely removing, then re-applying after about 45 minutes to get the best lift.

However, I don’t understand why you provided the products or sat cutting his foils?

Was this in a salon or someone working mobile? Are they qualified and insured? What made you choose him?

Are you a qualified hairdresser as all your posts are asking for advice about bleaching up from a level 3?

Are you a qualified hairdresser as all your posts are asking for advice about bleaching up from a level 3?
I am not a professional but I was learning a lot lately on bleaching hair and wanted to use good products, know the process and then go to someone professional and do it in a salon. I just asked him to use the products I have and know will work and won't mess my hair up.
He isn't mobile, he has his own place, and when I asked him he said he could do global application and that he's experienced with that- he was pretty confident about it, so I booked an appointment.
And about the foils- he started applying the bleach and then realized he didn't cut foils so he asked me to cut pieces for him meanwhile.
I went to him because I knew he's been hairdressing for more than 4 years and knew his salon, so I assumed that should be fine along with the fact that he said he's experienced with global applications :\

Last edited:
Sorry, but this forum is intended to give support to qualified professionals, not people wanting to learn to do their own hair.

Next time, I recommend you ask around to find an experienced colourist who knows exactly what they’re doing. Asking you to cut his foils because he wasn’t organised is very unprofessional in my mind. You don’t generally use foils in a global bleach application, you only use them if you’re doing a full head of foil highlights. If it was me, I certainly wouldn’t bother returning there.

Also, I don’t know of any competent colourist that would risk using products provided by the client. For instance, you could have accidentally bought fake products and using them would invalidate their insurance.

Latest posts

Back