Professional beauty ExCel, what did you think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realisticbeauty

Reaction score
I was just wondering what you all thought of this years professional beauty. I got back 2 hours ago:eek: which is a first for me usually im there till it closes. I must say i am so glad that i didnt have to pay for my ticket as i was really disappointed. I had a long list of things i needed and things i was interested in looking at but i think i ticked about 4 things off of my list. I dont know if it was me but there just didnt seem to be anywhere near as many stands as previous years. i was so excited about going i gues now i will have to sit and do a few orders:cry:

I decided not to go this year because I felt last years was such a let down in many ways which have already been mentioned in the past by loads of geeks.......a)Too many non pro stands.....b) non pro visitors with toddlers and baby prams.....c)not much of the companies and suppliers I saw previously ...... and overall the atmosphere was just lacking.

When they asked for a fee this year, I thought.... well ok, fair enough, but I want to see first what I am getting for my money? So I await to see what other peeps say.

I just don't see the point in paying to go with fuel, parking, food and drink plus what I consider a pretty steep entry fee for nothing. I can catalogue shop for that in the comfort of my home plus have change left over for something which I expect to be top notch and professional. Some peeps have to pay for accommodation as well.

Perhaps I am expecting too much. Personally I don't think so. I think the organizers charge way too much for the company stands and then want to charge us too much as well!

I didn't go either, although I was planning to but my mate who was driving was poorly. I didn't really have much to buy on my list that I can't buy for the same price online, compared to the cost of fuel, parking etc.
I think once you've been to a show, unless you're competing, there's not really anything new for you, well me anyways.

Got a load of housework done instead!

I have just come back from there and I had a pretty good time - although having never been to PB before I have nothing to compare it to. I spent an awful lot of money on not very much (well lots of lovely stuff but nothing that I went for!) and I got many many catalogues!

I think the fact that I went by myself really helped. I went to Olympia last year with a friend and she moaned the whole time about being bored (quite why she insisted on coming is beyond me as she always hates these things) but all in all I had a good time and I saw Kim's masterclass which was really what I went for!

I did see a Rio stand though next to the beauty clinic (which is where the masterclasses were held) and there was a hair band type of thing on the other side (which I must admit I bought a few of cos they were v pretty)but all in all I had a nice day! V expensive to park though! I nearly died! And although there were no buggies (that I saw) there were a heck of a lot of suitcases which frankly were just as irritating!

But all in all I had a good day - there are far worse ways fo spending a Sunday! Lx

The first year I went the place was packed, every big name was there, I saw loads of demo's, watched Sam's custom blend workshop, met heaps of geeks and loved it. In fact every show that year was buzzing, since then they have been a let down, much smaller shows, not so many of the companies I want were at them and rubbing shoulders with the public, as well as none professional stands at what should be something aimed at us was just not on imo.
So no I've not bothered this year, I read my Scratch mag and Professional beauty and when I find something that interests me I go to the web sites.
Sad though, peeps used to come back from the shows and this site used to be rejuvenated for weeks.

heya geeks
just got back from the show .... a big let down compared to last year. last year i went i got everything on my wish list. this year they had less people/bands/demos etc got no samples and i didnt buy one thing apart from booked on a OPI training course that i was going to do anyway.
the show offers where rubbish
Amy

I had my free ticket & was all ready to go with some friends, but my dogsitter let me down so I couldn't go, which was rather annoying. That said, my friends who did go said they were a bit disappointed & although there were less non-pros they said there was also less of everything in general! Still annoyed I didn't get to go though - shall now have to order the wax, oils etc that I had hoped to get at the show.

Im glad i went as hadn't been to one for a few years. I really like Excel as a venue, it wasn't as crowded as i thought which was great but would've spent a lot more if companies were retailing there but a lot were not which was annoying! So just got a few bits and pieces.
The main thing i wanted to try out was OPI's new nail gel, not booked a course yet as going to test how long it really does last!

I just miss my friends and wish I could have gone:cry:

I am glad I went. Got my hugs from all my friends which I havn't seen in absolute ages. God that felt so good lol.
Masterclasses where brill, Samuel and Gigi's Minx'ing it was way cool and there was plenty of after the class time to chat and ask questions, worth going for that alone.
Antony's preview of the new colour drops and what he can do with those was inspiring. The man is brill at arting it up. Georgie's Q&A time was great. Oh and Georgies pyramid nails looked so cool.
The stands where a little dissapointing compaired to what we had in the past 2003, but then again I went for the Masterclasses, shopping was second on the list. Its the classes and what and how they do it that get my creative juices flowing.
I still got run down by 2 pushchairs, so how did they get in there????? I thought it was strictly no under 16s.
So from a shopping point of view hmmmmmmmmm not much but from an inspirational point of view pretty good I say.

But most of all, I had a day out with my partner in nail crime, my daughter and that in itself was not a day to be missed..... I am going back tomorrow for some more inspiration and education, so who is up for coffee and a fag break lol ????
Judy you where missed heeps babe, Faye and I have talked Antony into doing nails for Faye up Bolton way and then will drag you out too for a night on the tiles lol......... well worth the trip up north me thinks lol.....

I am glad I went. Got my hugs from all my friends which I havn't seen in absolute ages. God that felt so good lol.
Masterclasses where brill, Samuel and Gigi's Minx'ing it was way cool and there was plenty of after the class time to chat and ask questions, worth going for that alone.
Antony's preview of the new colour drops and what he can do with those was inspiring. The man is brill at arting it up. Georgie's Q&A time was great. Oh and Georgies pyramid nails looked so cool.
The stands where a little dissapointing compaired to what we had in the past 2003, but then again I went for the Masterclasses, shopping was second on the list. Its the classes and what and how they do it that get my creative juices flowing.
I still got run down by 2 pushchairs, so how did they get in there????? I thought it was strictly no under 16s.
So from a shopping point of view hmmmmmmmmm not much but from an inspirational point of view pretty good I say.

But most of all, I had a day out with my partner in nail crime, my daughter and that in itself was not a day to be missed..... I am going back tomorrow for some more inspiration and education, so who is up for coffee and a fag break lol ????
Judy you where missed heeps babe, Faye and I have talked Antony into doing nails for Faye up Bolton way and then will drag you out too for a night on the tiles lol......... well worth the trip up north me thinks lol.....

That sounds fab mate...first time I've missed Excel and I just totally miss the whole atmosphere and the hugs!!:hug:
It's not just the stands and the products for me it's the whole shebang tbh....like you say the classes...the inspiration...the fag breaks!! xxx
Pushchairs though?? I thought that was the point in paying for the ticket etc??
I have 3 children..ok not babies... but pushchairs? I don't want to avoid being knocked over by at a show..I love kids..but NOT at a show.
Mind you...someone usually knocks me over with a beauty box anyway:)

Yep the master classes..............
My answer is
I don't care who I have to kill/maim/blackmail etc etc:green:
I am going to the event this year:irked: so there:lol: I am going !!!!!!!

Well what can I say on arrival I think all that arrived by car was :rolleyes: bemusement was sent around the houses a bit to then find that we had to park not in the underground car park as usual but to park miles away to then get a bus oh and were given a piece of paper and told that we had to pay for our parking with this when we wanted to leave which was £10.00 (by the way we forgot with all the confusion going on and I wondered how many others did the same) The bus then took us to the excel got in there and then legged it just in time to make it to watch Kim's demo which was well worth it and then later met her (your fab Kim and will be booking in for a one to one with you later). Then made my way round the show and got everything bar one item that I needed. So pleased with my result and yes did get a bit frustrated with the trolley dollies just kept falling over them :irked: Got the bus back to the car and to finish off my partner and I helped two young ladies out as they had a flat bat to their car.

Yes the bus thing is new, but it didnt take long though.

I was with a friend who is a therapist and not a tech, so she wasnt interested in the comps or classes so I missed out on those.
I missed seeing my old mates and competing.

just did a bit of shopping and was left in awe of marghereta belska's amazing nails.

Well i really enjoyed it. Its a nice day out just once a year, i thought the masterclasses were great - the main reason i go.

Yes, there weren't as many stalls as last year but all the non-pro stalls had gone apart from a couple. I only saw a couple of pushchairs too - a great reduction on last year!!

New park and ride service which seemed to be due to the fact that they are extending Excel by 50%, they were building on the car park we parked in last year.
The park and ride charges were less than last year, it was £12 last year to park, so was a nice surprise to only pay £10 this year which was split between myself and a friend.

All in all i had a great day, saw Kims masterclass and minx masterclass and they were ace.:)

I think education and being inspired is motivation just to go....and that is what i am doing tomorrow:)....and to see Andy if he is there:green:

How come there were pushchairs there??, How many took partners ? who aren't in the nail or beauty trade, one of the reasons I never went was because of not getting there easily, I wanted my bloke to take me, but was lead to believe that it was for strictly proffessional people only, I'm not a happy bunny now,,,,,,,Rant over lol x

Might get him trained in tanning, with cheap insurance, then he'll be able to attend future shows lol :lol:

I really enjoyed the show. My boyfriend came with me as he is a partner in the business and the way to do it is take some letterheaded papper and business card. Also i took my certifcates and did not need them as no one was asking for them. All in all a very good got most of the stuff i needed. It was nice as there was no crowds so you could look at your leisure.

kirsty

"We put the treat in your treatment"

I had a nice time, simply because Sam Biddle gave me a demo stilletto nail :)

But my overall opinion was that it was not as good as previous excel shows. It was quiet for a Sunday. Not much money being spent even though lots of stands had buy 1 get 1 half price type deals.
I did not have to queue to be served!

I counted 5 pushchairs but then last year was a record number so 5 is not bad, zero would be better. Kids on tow too.

The free masterclasses were great (thanks Rachel)

Lots of big nail brands were not there :( I did not feel inspired this time. I usually go for the buzz but I am not buzzing today.

Lots of non nail stands were not there :) :) I did not see jewellery this year or hair pieces. (only hair slides)

I too was not impressed with the car parking.

Thankfully my ticket was free. If I have to pay next year I will think twice about going.

Hi All,
I went to the beauty show today and was REALLY disappointed! :cry:
It was so small, nothing like the other years, and there was no big wholsaler stands with lots to buy, ie last year they had Sallys, and Sina etc

I only bought a crystal nail file, massage wax, a couple of bottles of sunbed cream, a ear protector for the hopi earcandles and ordered a saddle stool.
Usually I buy loads and have so much stuff I can barely carry it.

What are your thoughts on the show?

Emma x

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back