Professional hair colour advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site after being a long time lurker. I have no qualifications in anything beauty/ hair/ nails etc related but am after some advice.

Please don't laugh, but I have a "fear" of going to the hairdresser... I hate looking in the mirror, staring at myself for ages and always think that I'm being judged. I am working on slf confidence issues ATM and feel that a new hair colour is in order at some point.

I am quite pale with a tendency to be a bit pink and blush easily. Id love to enhance my paleness and blue eyes but no idea what colour would suit? I love the colour of Jessica (Deborah Ann woll I think her name is) in true blood but also Like a dark brown.

I would welcome any suggestions and also how to overcome my hairdresser phobia.

Thanks geeks. X

Hello, I am new to this site after being a long time lurker. I have no qualifications in anything beauty/ hair/ nails etc related but am after some advice.

Please don't laugh, but I have a "fear" of going to the hairdresser... I hate looking in the mirror, staring at myself for ages and always think that I'm being judged. I am working on slf confidence issues ATM and feel that a new hair colour is in order at some point.

I am quite pale with a tendency to be a bit pink and blush easily. Id love to enhance my paleness and blue eyes but no idea what colour would suit? I love the colour of Jessica (Deborah Ann woll I think her name is) in true blood but also Like a dark brown.

I would welcome any suggestions and also how to overcome my hairdresser phobia.

Thanks geeks. X

Oh babe youre not alone in your phobia! We honestly arnt as scary as you think! I totally understand it can be quite intimidating coming in to a swanky salon where everone is looking plush.Plus, harsh lights and lots of mirrors! totally get it.
I would suggest you go by reccommendation to find a good stylist. Ask all your friends, collegues and family where they go and why they go there. Try a few out by just having a blow dry or something non commital. Or just ask for a free consultation.
Take your time and you will find the right stylist and salon where you feel comfortable and relaxed.
Above all, talk! Tell your stylist what you want and dont want, then youre less likely to end up with something you hate.
Jo xxx
p.s your skin tone and eyes sound a lot like mine so I would suggest sticking with warmer tones. Maybe a rich toffee with caramel and honey tones.....? xxxx

Apologies for the late reply, tinternet issues! lots of salon geek to catch up on!

Thank you so much for your reply JoJo. Thats exactly what it is, all these composed, confident hairdressers and me!! That sounds like a good plan, start small and work up. I will start asking around.

Toffee, Caramel and Honey (mmmm) sound gorgeous, which celebs should i google to see what sort of colours they are? (My non hairdressing brain consists of blonde, brunette, black and red!)

PS I wish I lived round your way, you sound lovely. Id be booking in with you in a shot.

xx

:green:

Haha, NI is a little further than most of my clients travel - but I do have one that lives in Burma :eek: !!
Perhaps look at Jennifer anniston when she was darker, orCheryl cole - she had some lovely rich lights at one point.
ukhairdressers is a good website to look on to find lots of hair pics, just print them off and hot foot it to a good salon :wink2:
xxx good luck xxx

Hi Hun
Didnt want to read and run.
I have a few now long term and loyal clients that were exactly the same as yourself.
When one of them first came to me she hadnt been into a salon for 7 years and just walked in one day and muttered something about needing advice,so i swiftly sat her in my station to chat.It was then i realised she had confidence issues as she instantly turned the chair to face me rather than the mirror but wouldnt look at me when we were talking.
It turned out she was due to get married and really wanted to look special on her big day but due to personal confidence issues she just hadnt been to a stylist for 7 years and i could see she was physically panicking whilst in the salon.
I calmly pulled a chair up next to her and grabbed some hair up books so we could sit together and look through them to get some ideas.
We did this on 3 occasions before she would actually face the mirror and let me touch her hair to do a practice run!
Shes now a very loyal lovely lady who has seen me through 2 children and ive seen her through getting married and having her gorgeous little lad.
My client still has confidence issues but now we talk about them when she comes in as she feels comfortable enough to do so.
When she steps in the door for a service with me,im the one who shampoos,does colour/rinsing,treatments,cut,blo dry etc as shes still uncomfortable for the juniors to do it,however i really dont mind as for me its great that weve built up a great relationship and its restored her faith in us hairdressers!
Maybe find somewhwere recommended by friends and when you call to book be open and explain that your really nervous so they may need extra time.Any good salon thats high on cutomer service and has a personal touch will be more than happy to accomadate you and you really arent on your own.

I really hope you feel brave enough to venture in salon soon!:lol:

Latest posts

Back