Professional Hair Stylists--this one is for you ;)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My current colorist is really talented but I don't think she understands me. She's colored my hair a total of three times and the first time was wonderful but the second two times were a bit more "creative" than what I was after (too platinum of a blonde and this last time, I requested highlites/lowlights and she made them a little too chunky so it looks odd when I part my hair to the side). When she made me too pale of a blonde (about a year ago), I came back to have her fix it but she pawned me off on her assistant so I didn't come back. One year later and I'm faced with the same dilemma; the highlites/lowlights aren't "me" and are in desperate need of adjusting but I don't want to be viewed as a problem client who isn't ever satisfied.

The strangest part of all of this is that I loved the color in the salon (I even loved the platinum) but once I come home and get to play/live with it, I realize that it's too much for me. On a somewhat unrelated note, that has happened to me before--I like the color while there but a change of lighting and scenery makes me change my mind.

So, should I schedule an appointment to have her fix it? Dye it back to my natural color myself (I'm fairly handy with color)? Go to someone else for a consultation? I am especially interested to find out what those of you who style hair professionally make of my situation (i.e. what would you think/ do if I was your client, for instance).

Thank you for reading/responding!

Hi, as a stylist I would always want my clients to let me know their thoughts, tell her what you told us, she may then understand where your coming from, as you always love it when you leave she probably thinks you are more adventurous than you are, I personaly would always offer to try something to make the client happy at no extra cost, but if they havent actually done anything wrong (did they explain what they were going to do first) if so then you should nt expect them to change it free of charge. So go chat with her im sure she wants you to be happy with your hair and her last impression was that you were..:hug:

Thanks Jogriff =). I have no issue with paying for another color service if need be. I have a lot of respect for her (as well as other stylists) and always show my appreciation with generous tips so money isn't the problem here. I'm mostly afraid of a) getting another sub-par color and b) being seen as difficult.

Thanks Jogriff =). I have no issue with paying for another color service if need be. I have a lot of respect for her (as well as other stylists) and always show my appreciation with generous tips so money isn't the problem here. I'm mostly afraid of a) getting another sub-par color and b) being seen as difficult.

Why don't you bring in a nice clear picture of the colour you want , gives a much better Idea :hug: x

Thing is, I did/do just that. I *always* bring pictures of what I'm looking for (I don't know the correct terminology so I'm certain I couldn't explain without visuals otherwise). And while I think I'm being clear, I assume that's not the case (either that or she isn't listening) because I always end up with something more "creative" than my profession allows (I'm in the legal field, so you can imagine that interesting color is a no go). She knows what I do for a living and I even commented on the fact that my boss wasn't too happy with the platinum blonde back in the day. I'm not sure how I can make myself clearer. I find myself thinking that I wish I had emphasized "subtle" more, or gave her a better description of the blonde I want, etc. but the problem is that hindsight is 20/20 and I can't know what I should have said until it's too late. =(

Hi It may be better to go to another salon and ask for a more natural highlighted and lowlighted look something like Jennifer Annistons springs to mind ,
I think the key words here are ( NATURAL LOOKING PLEASE ) lol :hug: x

Thanks Minky! I suppose I can pop in for a consultation elsewhere just to see what they say. I take it you get the general impression that she can't/won't be able to fix it then?

Hi she sounds like a really good hairdresser with a good creative funky flair
but she may be a little to funky and creative for your liking ,

if you feel comfortable enough to ask her to fix the problem
would you feel comfortable enough to let her ?

If not then you may need someone who is a little less funky thats all,

If you see someone whose hair you like , I would go ask her to give you the name of her hairdresser or drag her down to show your own hairstylist :hug: lol x

good luck :hug: x

the reason you might not like the collour of your hair once out of the salon is that different lights like flourenecent day light and certain club pub lights all give off different kinds of light flouencents give of more blue for instants so your hair can look more ash (depending on what colours have been put into yoour hair ) hair reflects diffrently in each light it may not be a big difference but enough for you to notice go back to your stylist explain to her your that you love what she has done but could she hi-lite your hair taking into consideration your parting having a really good consultation is very important for you and your stylist to understand what you are looking for in your colour treatment and if she is a good stylist she will not be offended as a happy client is a faithfull client

Latest posts

Back