Professional Nail Products being sold over-the-counter!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the last message under guest was sent by me - fyi - don't know why but anyway..... lexuspilot would probably know! :?

Mrs Geek said:
A 'Chemist' is the equivalent of your 'drug-store'. You can buy medicine, the cheaper make-up lines, toothpaste, baby stuff etc but we always call them 'Chemists'. :?
I'm sure there is a good reason but it will be something tradionally British from the 1500's that noone will be able to remember!!

I think that it has probably been derived from Alchemist. I lifted this explanation of Alchemy from an online dictionary:

1 : a medieval chemical science and speculative philosophy aiming to achieve the transmutation of the base metals into gold, the discovery of a universal cure for disease, and the discovery of a means of indefinitely prolonging life.

Ref: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=alchemy

Sorry, I will take my swot hat off now ;)

Take care

Hazel

hazelwebster said:
1 : a medieval chemical science and speculative philosophy aiming to achieve the transmutation of the base metals into gold, the discovery of a universal cure for disease, and the discovery of a means of indefinitely prolonging life.

Ref: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=alchemy

they always say 'you learn something new everyday!!' - well done Hazel! ;)

No...the hollywood nails in colchester town...the one where their entire family's children freely runs about in the salon...the one where you can smell the fumes from way across the street...the one where a nail tech ripped a nail extension off from one of my friends finger because he made a mistake!!!!! Tsk tsk!! :?

I think CND is still considered pretty high end here in US. For instance in the state of Hawaii there are only two places that CND is sold. They are both on a different island than me so that is a bummer (shipping). But none of my clients can get this product anywhere but from me. Now if walmart started selling CND I would drop it like a hot potatoe. I do want my clients to think that I use the best that I can find.
Some beauty suppliers do not sell to the public. Even to buy a comb in their shop you have to show your license. There are others that will sell some things to the public but the unlicensed consumer pays alot more than what a licensed tech would pay of course.
But truly, even if they could get ahold of acrylic they would just make a mess out of their nails and come back to me begging me to fix them. lol

Mrs Geek said:
the last message under guest was sent by me - fyi - don't know why but anyway..... lexuspilot would probably know! :?

You probably weren't logged in :?: :?: I'm just guessing. There's alot of the technical aspects of this board that I'm not familiar with but I am very familiar with the bells and whistles of this particular forum. so, basically, I'm not sure! 8)

Well My Opinion is this.................................. 8)
Just cause it says professional on the box doesn't mean that it will look professional when it's done.
A lot of my clients have come to me because they played with these kits, didn't get it right and then realized there is more to this then just opening the box and sticking the little placcie bits on. But got the taste for them,
so in a round about way they have done me a favour.
Every DIY disaster is a new client for me. :D
Love Ruth x :D x

One of the factors that has contributed to the growth of our distributorship here in the UK - is the direct selling of professional enamel ranges from other companies and other products to the consumer via the TV shopping channel. It might not have been so bad if the companies involved hadn't sold at a price that was LESS than the price the salons were selling at.

I have to say that although these companies are laughing all the way to the bank, it was a hell of a way to repay the hard working nail technicians who had supported them (made them in fact) for many years! :evil: Having always told their clients that their products were sold exclusively through professioanl salons, it was a slap in their faces to see them being openly sold in this way. Now some are in drugstores too.

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Every DIY disaster is a new client for me.

And don't they appreciate your work that much more afterward!?!

Hi everyone!!! I felt kinda embarrased about this topic :oops:
I moved to Italy from America(dont ask why, sometimes even I dont know what in the name of PASTA I`m doin here!!!) but there are NO NAIL TECHS IN NAPOLI ITALY!!! and no schools :( so I was forced to either: live an acrylic- free life (ya like THAT`S gonna happen anytime soon) or be forced to do it myself.
So I called America, ordered EVERYTHING I would need,and I am THE ENVY of all women here, because my nails look awsome!!! not like you all in America and the UK but after 6 years of practice, and 4 hours each time I do them, I have nice nails....forgive me...but if there were nail techs here I would go to them I PROMISE!!! ;)
~Tanya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back