Professional Nails - Chatroom - Education, eduaction, education

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathryn

Reaction score
Well, I'm full of the joys of education at moment having spent an exhausting week alongside some eminent techs at the Creative Institute... can honestly say that it gives a whole new meaning to the words Boot Camp. To all those who attended that are reading this - congrats on surviving - you made it!

So with the word oligomer ringing in my ears, I thought I'd open up the floor and find out how many of you believe in lifelong learning?

Are you a know it all, or a little sponge that can't get enough?

As always, answers will be published in the mag and I look forward to hearing your comments. Please include your full name and name of business when responding.

Cheers
Kat
Professional Nails
Email: [email protected]

I am definately in favour of education, education, education - although the downside is, I have run out of space in my new salon room once I had all of my certs framed LOL.

It is very important for the educators to continue their education - what is the point of us continuing our education if the educator is still working on education from 10 or maybe even 20 years ago.

When choosing courses this is an important question to ask.

Can never get enough education! I love it, keep it coming!

The great thing about this industry, is that you can always learn more. From different nail courses with different companies, to nail art and airbrushing, media work and fashion, to teaching and assessing, to salon managment, the nail industry has so much to offer to total beginners and the experience technician. As long as the standard of training is high, there will always be a need for quality education.

The nail industry has so much to offer, There are always new products, techniques and developements. I think it's very important to keep up with it all. Education is very important. I love attending courses, be it hands on or a lecture. We all have room for improvement and we are lucky enough to have some of the best educators/nail technicians in the industry.

Continuing education is a great thing for nail industry- I believe that we can learn new things and techniques all the time no matter how long we have been in the industry. I have been a tech for over six years and even though I educate others I still go on courses and workshops to improve, as I know this will not only help in my day to day salon work but when i educate others

Jessica Marks
Brushstrokes, Crawley

I have to say i think i will need a lifetime to take in everything there is to know about nails. Considering also that new things are being discovered and produced in nails all the time, i don't think you can ever say that you know everything there is to know about Nails and the Nail industry.

I love doing courses and trying new products and techniques and there's certainly plenty to keep me going for a long time yet. As long as someone is willing to teach, i'm willing to learn.:)

Wendy.

Simply Nails.

Education does not make me a know it all..................It makes me to want to know it all and that is never ending ............
Upating skills, upkeeping with industry changes and upholding standards is of vital essence if you want to be the Technician that knows her stuff !!!!!!

I'm in the stages between finishing my course and getting my certificate (you know when it's all on order) and already there are products available that weren't before.

I believe you must always continue to educate yourself for not only your own benefit but also for the benefit of your clients.

I can't wait to keep learning more. My other half says I am going to become a professional student. I like the sound of that! ;)

Kathryn said:
Well, I'm full of the joys of education at moment having spent an exhausting week alongside some eminent techs at the Creative Institute... can honestly say that it gives a whole new meaning to the words Boot Camp. To all those who attended that are reading this - congrats on surviving - you made it!

So with the word oligomer ringing in my ears, I thought I'd open up the floor and find out how many of you believe in lifelong learning?

Are you a know it all, or a little sponge that can't get enough?

As always, answers will be published in the mag and I look forward to hearing your comments. Please include your full name and name of business when responding.

Cheers
Kat
Professional Nails
Email: [email protected]

Well I love learning its so refreshing and enlightening - especially when its a subject you adore. So far I have done a Foundation Course, VCTC Level 2, Two one-2ones with another booked, and I am registering as we speak to do my Unit 19 Level 3 NVQ....and once this is completed I will embark upon the new NVQ due to be launched. Plus it makes me proud to display my certificates to prove my learning, and to show my customers how decicated I am to giving them the best service.

I really just can't get enough, one this is completed I think the next step will be to gain a teaching qualification.

After that who knows but I am sure I will find another qualifcation to study and of course continuing with one2one tuition...

Its just a way of life to me now.

Louise Winder

Pefect Nails by Louise

I love learning new skills and updating the old. It keeps me fresh, enthusiastic and informed! Knowledge is power! Sarah Haslam, Nail Envy & Beauty Too, Fareham, Hants

It's so important to keep your education going it's not just a matter of doing a nail course and off you go.............there is so much to learn I for one can't think of a better thing to do than learn more about what I have a passion for. The only way to acheive is to work hard and absorbed all there is to know.
Can you beleive I was even having one to one comp training with Ruth Fordham on Xmas day nothing better than the smell of monomer and Turkey lol.

Take care Dawnie xxx
DR Nails Nottingham

I am a firm believer in continious education. I am always on the look out for new courses, courses that will improve the qualifications i already have, and my skills as a nail tech. I look at it like this, there will always be someone somewhere who will offer more, and different things to what you offer, so it is essential to keep up to date with all the new trends to keep all those precious clients very happy!

Michelle Needham
Creative nail technician
"The Beauty Station"
Isle of wight

A few years ago I was really feeling sorry for myself, as I had no qualifications on my CV, and didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. Last year I had to leave a job due to illness. This has since been sorted, and I decided to use this as a chance to do a make-up artist course at college, so at 33 years old I became a full time student. I have completed the course, and am now waiting for my 6 VTCT certificates from it;

level 3 diploma in theatrical and media make-up
level 2 certificate fashion & photographic make-up
" cosmetic make-up in face & body painting
" media & theatrical make-up & hair & wigs
" certificate in cosmetic make-up & beauty consultancy
" certificate in nail treatments

I have really got the learning bug, I am currently in the middle of a course in uv gel & fibreglass nails, and am enrolled on the college's 2 year evening course in NVQ level 2 hairdressing! I also plan to expand on the nail side of my business, as I am hooked on them!

I intend to continue learning all the time, I am like Taintz, a full-time student, and will be forever! You can never learn enough!

Teena

Teena B Mobile Nail & Beauty Treatments
Norwich
www.teenab.co.uk

Education is so important in this industry - as everyone has said.

I so admire some of the techs on this site who seem to be an encyclopedia of 'nail knowledge'.

If I had the time and money I would start a new course every time I finished one!!!! :eek:

I work in a salon one day a week and we do not seem to have any education there - the last course we did was a year ago, which to me is no good. I have learned loads from this site but it cannot replace having someone infront of you showing you how it should be done.

I am passionate about nails and have a thirst for knowledge which finally got the better of me a few weeks ago. I have started my Masters course with Creative the first day was great and I am going to do the second day a week tomorrow - I can't wait!!!! All of this I am having to pay for myself as the salon won't help...... but hey I don't care I will be up there with the best, one day!!!! :lol: .

To me doing nails isn't a job its a passion. I can be doing nails all day, And then come home and practise some nail art, Or read books about nails, Read magazines, Visit nail sites on the web (the nail geek being the best site).
I love to chat nails and feel that education, learning new techniques and keeping up to date on products is a must for all techs.

I am definitely a sponge - can't get enough.

I think we have to support the Doug Schoon's of this world - they keep on getting our products better and better and we must keep on top of this and keep learning and learning. :cool:

Sometimes I think if I read/learn much more I will need a new 'chip' in my head as well as in my PC! :lol:

Kim Simpson
Nails at Home Ltd

i have an answer to this question from 2 different angles.

firstly, i think your nails are only as good as your last set, so i will never stop wanting, no , NEEDING more & more education!!
competeing has always sharpened my "eye" for perfection, the only trouble is that every time i compete, me "eye" keeps getting more fussy!

secondly, as an educator, i feel that the passion that i can instill in my students is worth more than any compitition win.
the 1st time a foundation student manages to do a great nail, & a smile spreads accross their face is priceless.

there is always someone to aspire to in this industry, because there are so many people that love to teach & that love to be taught.
liza smith x

Hey Liza..what can I say...would love to get to where you are and learn to give back the knowledge with the fulfilment of teaching....a long road ahead of me though!! I think it's teachers like you that get the best out their students. In the meantime I'm willing to learn everything that will help me get to the stage you are..even though the clock is ticking against me (age wise)!

hiya crystal
i'm 40 next year, & i started training when i was 18.
it's been a long slog, but to b fair, there are much quicker ways to suceed now.
having my salon is a great legacy, but it has also held me back.
there are always things that need dealing with, paper work to do etc!
the education that's available now would enable someone with enough determination to very quickly run up the ladder of success.
however,sometimes if you progress too quickly, you may miss some of the lessons of life along the way.
i think the reason that it's taken me over 20 years is my obsession with never wanting to pass up on an opourtunity!
also, i struggle to say no!
so, get focused & go get em!
"there is no excuse for standing still, but also, there's no excuse for standing on anyone else on the way up..."
that statement is on my salon literature, it says it in a nutshell.
liza x

I live in the Caribbean and consider my self a self trained nail tech. I did a 5 days course and got certifed, but felt I was not ready to do nails for people at least not for money. I continue my training through books magazines, videos and websites. I consider my self an artist and as such continued training is always needed because you are never perfect and even perfection can be improved.

Tricia Barbaste
T&B's Nail Studio

Latest posts

Back