Professional Nails mag poll- Do you dress to impress?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it necessary for a tech to wear a uniform?

• Damn straight.

Votes: 362 73.1%
  • Heck no.

Votes: 133 26.9%

• Total voters
okeee dokeee.

What a great discussion. In fact, word has it that this thread may warrent a full blown story :D

Im making it a bit unsticky now.

Toodles

I agree with you all, a uniform does give a good impression. First impressions are always hard to follow so they have to be good.

One thing i can't understand, (although i prefer black to white) isn't black impractical when you create a bit of dust. I must admit i find white a bit clinical and as said previously you can be mistaken for a nurse.

I would love a pale lilac top with manderin collar with black 3/4 length trousers, but wasn't sure if you could get pale colours??

Anyone know of suppliers in the uk??:biggrin:

hiya

Try florence roby or inline

Looking through the beauty magazines, I find there are loads of up to date uniforms for the ladies but what about us guys. There is not much of a selection for us. Has anyone else noticed this.

David

talented talons said:
I agree with you all, a uniform does give a good impression. First impressions are always hard to follow so they have to be good.

One thing i can't understand, (although i prefer black to white) isn't black impractical when you create a bit of dust. I must admit i find white a bit clinical and as said previously you can be mistaken for a nurse.

I would love a pale lilac top with manderin collar with black 3/4 length trousers, but wasn't sure if you could get pale colours??

Anyone know of suppliers in the uk??:biggrin:
Hi!

Don't know if you found one yet, but I've seen a beeyooouutiifuull pale lilac tunic in the up to date buttercups brochure. :biggrin:

HTHs

G. xx

White, white and white. I like to wear! I've got loads of smart white tops, trousers and shoes. I am a sole trader and I think it is a must to look professional. I would also never go into my salon without my make up on and my hair tidy. I have had clients say to me that they would never go to any kind of beauty therapist who didn't look clean and professional.

I noticed recently that in one of our local tanning shops there is a nail technician who wears a track suit and a baseball cap. Looks awful to me.

Hey,
Does mobile count? I wouldn't say it's an absolute must but after I set up in a clients house, I do put on a smock/apron just before I start, mostly to protect my clothes!!!

xXx

OK guys, I voted in the poll that I don't agree with a uniform. BUT....I mean that I was planning on wearing smart clothes for my mobile business, NOT jeans, etc! Now I've read your comments, I'm rethinking my plans. So......does buttercup have a website? Or florence roby or inline? I was thinking about lilac, as my towels, etc are lilac and I don't wanna clash!

I personally don't feel uniforms are necessary. One can project a professional appearance and attitude without having to be constricted to a uniform. However, there are some advantages of having uniforms as many have pointed out such as not having to worry about spills and the mundane task of choosing what to wear every day. A persons style can effect how he or she performs and I think it's important for each individual to be comfortable with their image (as long as they appear professional), uniform or not!

I LOVE my uniform!
I am a mobile Tech, and as I've only been going about 4mths, most of my clients are friends and ex-work colleagues, most of whom, I'm sure wouldn't care if I turned up in my jeans.
However... when I put on my uniform, I FEEL professional, I'm in work mode!!
This means my 'friends' act more like 'clients', obviously there's more to it than just the uniform, but it makes me feel more confident in my service, and the prices I charge etc...
They're practical (no deciding what to wear / no ruining my own clothes etc), and there are some GORGEOUS uniforms to choose from.

I also do spray-tanning, so the only practical choice was BLACK! I got my mandarin collar tunic and 3/4 trousers from Inline at Olympia in March (somehow they're getting a bit tight now - not sure how that happened...?)

I am looking for the uniform that Su-Do use in their ads - if anyone knows the one I mean, or where I can get it.. LET ME KNOW!!!! x

I'm not even qualified yet, but I've picked my uniform - talk about putting the cart before the horse :D
I've spoken to a mate's mother about making a black madarin collar top with offset buttons, the same as the Moville Clothing one, but with a pink trim on the collar and cuffs, pink buttons, and my logo embroidered on (anyone else work out yet that my colour scheme is black and pink??). Hopefully it should save some £££!
I think uniform is a must for presenting a professional look - in the same way that you wouldn't go to a job interview in jeans and a t-shirt, but there's no reason for a uniform to be boring. I hope that my personalised design, that will then tie in with my literature, towels and equipment will help me look modern and individual as well as professional - a non-uniform uniform, if you like :)
Lol x
By the way, I'm not insinuating at all that salon whites are boring, I'm just saying that if they're not for you there are lots of other ways to wear a uniform ;)

I agree with you,Geeg!i would'nt go into any salon!I think looking your part is best if your a nail tech then wearing the uniform is good advertising for your business with or without a logo and you have the professional image.
geeg said:
I for one would not dream of going to a Beauty Salon to be given a treatment by a therapist wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Sloppy look means a sloppy attitude to me.

Why should it be any different in the profession of Nails?

i wear a uniform, it makes me feel professional and i think it gives people confidence in me. i mainly wear white tunic and trousers or team the tunic with black pants if white is impractical. i have a black tunic which i bought just for a change, my hubby says i look like a bond villain in it. i wear it from time to time, but its pretty impractical for me as it shows the dust too much.

I agree i wouldn't go to a salon and have my nails done by someone who didn't look professional if they leave out the uniform what else are they leaving out that the client doesn't know about?

geeg said:
I for one would not dream of going to a Beauty Salon to be given a treatment by a therapist wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Sloppy look means a sloppy attitude to me.

Why should it be any different in the profession of Nails?

Hey there, jnail just wandering the geek site. We Team Spa Experience were discussing this ALL Day yesterday. We agreed it is best for us. as it distinguish's YOU the Professional from the clients/other Salons. Also it creates interest when the girls go for lunch etc. Sometimes we'll have a 'muffty day' or Jeans 4 Genes day.Simple & comfortable.NOW how do we get our GEEK T;s! We mainly operate from Salons so this then makes it far easier for the client's to tell who's who ie Tech/Beauty/Hair. But they always know when we're around. Also we tend to wear plain colours[not florals/prints]& accessorize with latest Creative Collections.The girls agreed they socialize alot & wouldnt want to damage their good stuff at work. It's our summer now & we've got it together[today anyway] GIRL"S FASHION DISSCUSSIONS I'm exhausted But Inspired!

:?: how do i do backfills with gel

i beleive if your serious about your work, then you should make the effort and use some kind of uniform - carrying through any professional ethics... it just looks clean, tidy, smart etc.. it doesn't have to be a 'white stiff collared top'! as long as everyone looks the same i.e. black trousers & black top for instance, or trs and a printed tshirt with the nail salon, or a logo advertising the salon for instance... can be fun but still looks the part

i love to wear a uniform it makes me feel inportant, and as i do nails at home (im not the mum come house cleaner anymore) when i step in to it im a totally different person. i had a white tunic n trouser suit, but hated it so ive died the top pink and wear it with black trousers, looks very cool and when people come they say oooooooooooh dont you look professional , lol dianna x :)

When I first meet a therapist I usually assessing there appearance in the first few seconds, to me first impressions count. A uniform is a statement saying that you care about the impression you want to get across, you want to look professional and judging from how you keep yourself reflects on the service and maybe the work you carry out. Meaning that if you take pride in yourself, you take pride in what you do.

dawn

Latest posts

Back