Professional Nails mag poll- Do you dress to impress?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it necessary for a tech to wear a uniform?

• Damn straight.

Votes: 362 73.1%
  • Heck no.

Votes: 133 26.9%

• Total voters
Totally agree with you Dawn.

Like it has been said a uniform differentiates the staff from the Clients. They save time so you don't need to say 'what do l wear'. You cant beat a tunic and trousers they are so smart and business like but not 'snotty' looking. It gives a great first impression definately. We offer a professional service and should look the part.

Take care

I found this on the professional beauty guild, this is what they had to say about uniforms:

Salon Uniform First Impressions Matter
3girlsjpg.JPG
First impressions are important so the right uniform is crucial to your business. Not only does is portray a level of professionalism it promotes your business identity.

Nowadays Salon Uniforms have moved on to an array of colours and styles. Anything from cropped trousers & bootleg style to the traditional skirt/tunic or a dress. Finding the right uniform for you will depend on many things. What kind of image do you want to portray? and what kind of budget do you have available? For example a large Spa will have a different budget available to an independent mobile therapist.

You need to feel comfortable and need to be able to move around easily but also look smart and professional. Your uniform will also need to be made of a material that washes well and lasts a decent amount of time. We've got most of the main uniform suppliers on the Suppliers Directory so why not have a browse for yourself? You can check out prices, styles, colours & delivery times and take some time comparing to choose which is the best uniform for you.

Those reviewed include:-

Buttercups
Meltemi
Florence Roby
Grahame Gardner Ltd
Inline London
Salon Express
Salons Direct
Sally Hair & Beauty

I'm the only one in my enviroment ( home based ) so I don't wear a uniform.....But I do go to work looking professional .......when I owned a Salon in the States I never required my renters to wear a uniform either .....BUT... I did require them to look and dress in a professional and appropriate manner .....no ratty jeans, sloppy teeshirts, sweats, low cut clothing ......we had a relaxed enviroment .This seemed to work for us..... and our Salon was busy with lots of referals and walk ins .I think as long as you look / conduct your business in a professional manner it dosn't really matter what you wear .

Definately, it makes you look professional and your own clothes do not get ruined by the dust and excessive washing, at the end of the day the uniform is there for your protection.

Joan

I would not be caught dead in a 'standard' uniform meaning a smock or lab coat kind of thing.

HOWEVER................ I do STRONGLY feel that there is an appropriate way to attire oneself for their job. Be it at the office, at the restaurant as a waitress or as a nail technician.
Professional attire is a MUST.
Clean, tidy, sharp, and classy.
No need to be all glammed up for a night on the town to serve someone coffee & donuts or to do their nails.
Or worse, dressed as if you're about to sack out on the couch eating chips or ready to mow the law in beat up sneakers.

And in the beauty industry, that is largely influenced by fashion, we should also pay attention to trends..and indicate with our own wardrobe that we are aware of them and able to meet client's own needs to stay "with it".
Now some trends are downright tacky and simply not appropriate for work attire... while many may be incorporated in a very tasteful way.

I dress 'classy' while trendy. I do not do nails in jeans. HOWEVER I confess that when our air conditioning was on the fritz, some of my tops were a bit lean in the fabric department...due to the heat... they weren't trampy. Now our a/c is working again and I'm dressing accordingly once more.

just my 2cents (or pence as the case may be)
lol

i think a uniform looks good and so much more professional. id rather wear a uniform when working on clients than my normal clothes.:green: x

I chose damn straight because I think that it looks more professional and clients tend to relax more.

a uniform is a must for me i find it gives me extra confidence specially when its a new client. its the difference between a client and a therapist - the professional.
ok and i just love my uniform!!!! lol

Absolutely, definitely, I wear a uniform.

As I do a fair amount of mobile work, I think it is essential that when I arrive at someone's house, I am wearing a uniform.

I always wear a black tunic and black 3/4 trousers.

I also think it is particularly important to wear a uniform when carrying out beauty treatments. For certain treatments such as waxing, facials and body treatments, the client is in a semi state of dress. I think it is much more relaxing for them when the therapist performing the treatment is in uniform.

I don't necessarily think it's necessary to wear all white, or all black, or pretentious uniforms if you're working anywhere except an extremely upscale, higher end salon.

That said, I do think it's extremely important to look professional and well-dressed. If everyone wears jeans, wear nice jeans, cute, in style tops and shirts paired with the jeans, nice shoes, nails, makeup and hair done.

There should be a feel about it, a consistency, at the very least.

Wearing black & doing nails is a no no, dust soons gets on the black if you are a busy tech (no matter how careful you are) Dust and black (yukky poo) that includes the seemingly never ending manufacturers of nail polishes with black lids.......
If only they were workers/owners/dusters/cleaners they would soon see why.

Uniforms are cool and can often look quite smart if you feel the need to identify yourself (but not black ones)

Of course this is IMHEO

I think it is very important to be well dressed. In my opinion, a uniform, or a working apron worn over the technician's clothes is a must - to ensure that clients can differentiate the staff at the salon from other customers.

I agree that a 'uniform' is important but it doesn't have to be the normal white or black.

I have a home based Salon ....... in the summer I wear cropped linen mix trousers in white or beige with matching smart v-neck t-shirts with my salon name emroidered on the upper left. In the winter I wear full length cotton mix trousers in beige or chocolate brown (my salon colours) with matching smart long sleeved t-shirts, once again embroidered with my salon name.
I got my trousers from M&S and my t-shirts, complete with emroidery, from Logoso - Yvonne is wonderful and gave me a choice of font, colour and size of embroidery, sending me samples for me to decide from.

My clients think it looks professional, I am comfortable and each outfit (trousers AND top) cost me £20 - as opposed to £80 plus for a uniform from Inline etc. I think the prices the uniform companies charge are outrageous!
And, personally, I found black polyester in the summer unbearable!

I think the main point is that you present a 'uniform appearance' ....

I usually wear a 'uniform', mine consists of trous and top, with lilac tabbard over with my logo embroidered on, or trous and lilac tunic with emb logo. Trous i wear are either navy or black usually. Although I have seen clients before when ive had my jeans and t shirt on, i just pop my tabbard on top. Id have to know them fairly well, though!:)

Latest posts

Back