Proffessional hair product advice bieng given to non proffessionals

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi as a professional hairdresser I have noticed that some professional hairdressers are recommending professional products to people who are not Hairdressers I thought we were not supposed to do this

I know that if you are new and not too sure of the rules newbies can make mistakes and we a should all be patient with newbies who do not know the rules ,
but when I was a newbie and never knew the rules I was told I could not do this,
Plus I was told straight away,

( Take a look at the old post Pink hair )

When I first Joined this site I thought everyone was a professional hairdresser or learning to be a hairdresser or a nail tech,
Which I now know is not true ,

I have also noticed OTC (over the counter ) products being reccomended ,
which personally I think is fine If both people are not hairdressers and they both know they are not professional hairdressers,
but again this may also be breaking the salon geeks rules

I am just posting this as I think new geeks should be aware of the rules that apply on here and take a peek at them before posting ,
regards minky :hug:

Minky you are correct in your thinking and this should apply to ALL the forums! Pro advice should be given as you would from one Pro to another if everyone is trained. OR reply as you would from a pro to a client if the poster isn't trained at all. That's why you don't catch me on the hair forum very often, cos I don't have a clue!

I agree, I would never recommend OTC products to clients so why anyone else? I also do notice a few non-hairdressers giving advice :eek:

Not all professional products suit every person and should only be recommended by a professional, we train hard and long in this profession to understand the science of it all.

Good point minky!

I think this should really depend on the product and the question and the tech or hairdresser or whoever should just use some common sense (hopefully they have some!).

As nail tech, no way would I recommend anyone to go down to Sally's and buy their own gel or L&P and apply it themselves, but I would suggest that someone with peeling or dry brittle nails go and find some solar oil, or perhaps Nail Envy, or someone that wanted a nail polish should go to a salon and buy a professional colour as opposed to Rimmel or whatever.

So if I had a question about the best colour for my hair, for example, I would hope someone would recommend a type of professional colour and then I could go find a salon that would apply it to my hair, and probably buy the professional shampoo and conditioner that would keep it in its best condition....if you get my drift!

I think this should really depend on the product and the question and the tech or hairdresser or whoever should just use some common sense (hopefully they have some!).

As nail tech, no way would I recommend anyone to go down to Sally's and buy their own gel or L&P and apply it themselves, but I would suggest that someone with peeling or dry brittle nails go and find some solar oil, or perhaps Nail Envy, or someone that wanted a nail polish should go to a salon and buy a professional colour as opposed to Rimmel or whatever.

So if I had a question about the best colour for my hair, for example, I would hope someone would recommend a type of professional colour and then I could go find a salon that would apply it to my hair, and probably buy the professional shampoo and conditioner that would keep it in its best condition....if you get my drift!

I would suggest to do it he other way around eg,
find a reputable salon and ask them to assess the condition of your hair and get them to recommend a nice colour for your hair type , They could then recommend the professional shampoo that would go with it.

As nail tech, no way would I recommend anyone to go down to Sally's and buy their own gel or L&P and apply it themselves,

Yes we can suggest a haircolor, but it is just safer to go to the hairstylist and askthem as they can see your hair in real time and we can't.

We can troubleshoot but that is about the extent of it.

I also do notice a few non-hairdressers giving advice :eek:

Yep, It is nice to maybe be able to hear from others non hair geeks that they went thru the same problem but I will have to draw the line at them actually giving out professional advice in which they really don't have the proper training to do so.

Latest posts

Back