Profile Interference

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SunSpray

Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that after only a few weeks' memebership of what I thought was a great site, I'm going to have to remove myself. SalonGeek Administrators, by their own admission, have been interfering with my profile "thinking it was really funny without realising the implications with Google". Specific quotes that some of you members have made are appearing on Google when using particular search words. The SalonGeeks have then added their own "funny" remarks, and to cut a long and painful story short, the Google entries now completely ridicule me and the business that I'm seriously and professionally trying to build. I'm so devastated that I'm beyond anger.
The SalonGeek Administrators (also known as Fiona/Sam/Naturalnails?) have apologised with their explanation of how funny they thought it would be, and seem to think this is enough. I've now lodged what I hope is being treated as a serious complaint and have requested that SalonGeek contact Google to remove these offensive entries.
I guess I was sucked into the jovial nature of this site, not thinking for one minute that the actual Administrators could interfere with my business advertising "for a laugh".
Feeling very, very upset
Carol

Last edited by a moderator:
What can I say!

The link at the bottom of the page entitled "Contact Us" sends an email to a mail box which I along with some of the other moderators answer.

An email was received today from Carol saying that Google had picked up a thread of hers and it also highlighted the comment which goes with her reputation level - currently saying "head weighs 8lbs". This thread details a bit more: http://www.salongeek.com/site-assistance/46880-new-reputation-levels.html.

Carol seems very upset by this and wanted it removed.

I thought in my naivvity that if I gave her rep for a post to push her into the next rep level, then it would all go away - this is what I did to interfere with her profile!

As the Google bots index the site at their own free will can we really do anything about it?

In all the years Salongeek has been live we have never ever had this as a problem.

I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused but I can put my hand on my heart and say I have not, nor has Salongeek, done anything wrong.

Goodness me. I think a serious case of misunderstanding here.

Fiona ,those of us who have been around long enough KNOW you are a fab moderator/geek/lady :hug:

Maybe Carol could take the rep in the manner it's intended,and continue to be a part of this comunity once more ?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say that after only a few weeks' memebership of what I thought was a great site, I'm going to have to remove myself. SalonGeek Administrators, by their own admission, have been interfering with my profile "thinking it was really funny without realising the implications with Google". Specific quotes that some of you members have made are appearing on Google when using particular search words. The SalonGeeks have then added their own "funny" remarks, and to cut a long and painful story short, the Google entries now completely ridicule me and the business that I'm seriously and professionally trying to build. I'm so devastated that I'm beyond anger.
The SalonGeek Administrators (also known as Fiona/Sam/Naturalnails?) have apologised with their explanation of how funny they thought it would be, and seem to think this is enough. I've now lodged what I hope is being treated as a serious complaint and have requested that SalonGeek contact Google to remove these offensive entries.
I guess I was sucked into the jovial nature of this site, not thinking for one minute that the actual Administrators could interfere with my business advertising "for a laugh".
Feeling very, very upset
Carol

I have never read anything like this before, I find it unbelievable that you have taken this stance I really do. We are all professionals on here and this site has brought nothing but support and assistance to us all.

Perhaps you need to rethink what you have written and apologise for your post.

I find it hard to believe that the mods have interfered with your business advertising, whether for a laugh or any other reason with any intention to do so,
do you have a link so we can see what you are getting soooooooooo upset about

I find it hard to believe that the mods have interfered with your business advertising, whether for a laugh or any other reason with any intention to do so,
do you have a link so we can see what you are getting soooooooooo upset about

Hun she means the quotes taken from movies which are displayed below your rep boxes .

This is actually just plain ridiculous.

You participated in a thread about spray tanning overweight women. Google indexed it like it does billions of other pages on the web. You put a search in Google for keywords and that thread you participated in ranks high. This has NOTHING to do with anything we have done nor does it have anything to do with rep.

Google shows a 'preview' part of the web page results with each search that it thinks are relevant to your search. The 'Human Head' thing was part of that preview and as such, I thought that was your problem. Let me just be clear now - that is a preview of the results of the search, the search is there because you (under your business name) participated in a thread about spray tanning overweight women. The Human Head thing could have been anything and it still wouldn't have changed the results. Fiona tried to change your rep, but that won't make a blind bit of difference to anything but the preview. Furthermore it will take ages for Google to re-index it and notice the change.

So you see, you were the one that got yourself onto Google. Anytime you post on a web site that anyone can view, the same thing will happen.

We do not control Google, do not ask them to index the site, do not publish anything to them, they do what search engines do: index billions of pages so people can find information on the web.

If you want to know WHY Google showed what it shows... this is your search:

Spray Tan Stoke Poges

Here is Googles cache of that page, nicley highlighting the frequency of the keywords you have typed in:

Spray tan for larger ladies?? - Salon Geek

Welcome to the world wide web. nJoy :)

Aye, the quotes are all from films and the quote changes as you gain rep points from people. They're certainly NOT meant to be defamatory in any way, and I've never heard of any strange repercussions cropping up in Google rankings before!

Lot of fuss over nothing. if you ask me... how silly
we love our rep thingies and take them in the way they are meant...fun

It has nothing at all to do with rep.

sorry posts..lol

lol, I figured you posted as I was posting mine. Just wanted to remind everyone :D

Oh dear - I think it's very easy to be over worried about how one is perceived on t'interweb when starting a new business.
This should have been a pm, not a public thread, and if still not happy then a quiet exit was all that was needed.
Taking such a public stance has, I feel, not helped SunSpray's cause one bit.

What can I say!

The link at the bottom of the page entitled "Contact Us" sends an email to a mail box which I along with some of the other moderators answer.

An email was received today from Carol saying that Google had picked up a thread of hers and it also highlighted the comment which goes with her reputation level - currently saying "head weighs 8lbs". This thread details a bit more: http://www.salongeek.com/site-assistance/46880-new-reputation-levels.html.

Carol seems very upset by this and wanted it removed.

I thought in my naivvity that if I gave her rep for a post to push her into the next rep level, then it would all go away - this is what I did to interfere with her profile!

As the Google bots index the site at their own free will can we really do anything about it?

In all the years Salongeek has been live we have never ever had this as a problem.

I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused but I can put my hand on my heart and say I have not, nor has Salongeek, done anything wrong.

Fiona, thank you for your apology and I appreciate that you didn't intend to cause me or my business any distress. You've published an extremely brief summary of the sentences appearing above and below my Google listings, which actually include my business name and quote statements from other Geekies' recent quotes, along with words you've added "for a laugh".
I posted the initial thread above when you sent me the message from Sam, who I now know to be the owner of SalonGeek, which said that there's nothing he can do to get these items removed from Google. I'm no expert, as has been shown by me knowing nothing about Reps and Moderators and Google trawling this site to snatch your memebers' thread details, but I'm quite sure that from an ethical point of view, if someone is offended and feels their business may be threatened, Google would indeed do something about removing such a listing.
I'll be contacting Google myself, naturally, and hope that Sam finds the time soon to look into this unfortunate situation.
I still have no idea what heads weighing 8lbs have got to do with (a) my business (b) SalonGeek, (c) the "credit crunch" thread or (d) the "spray tanning larger women" thread.
Thanks for your early evening attempts to rectify things, but the situation still exists and if you can please assist by contacting Google with my complaint, I'd be very grateful. Carol :cry:

Hun she means the quotes taken from movies which are displayed below your rep boxes .
No if you look at the link that Sam has put in it is the wording that we type for ourselves under our user names (i think) :lol:
mine says im flying high,
i suppose that could be read a few different ways lol

Lou i'm goin on what NN said in her first post hun :D x

Disable your rep and under your name type that you are fine.....sorted:rolleyes:

Guys, I have stated twice already that it has nothing at all to do with rep in any way shape or form.

Well, I'm sorry that the spray tan person has taken umbridge at what Google bots have found.
But, that's the internet - that's what search engines search - for the words you ask them to.
Yes, OK, you perhaps did not want to see that 'your head weighs 8lbs' but the 'caption' which are from movies, are there under everyone's blue boxes once you hold your 'mouse' over them.
I'm sorry you are offended by what to 10,000+ other nail, skin & beauty professionals is just a bit of good fun with a sense of humour about the person's rep levels - it's got nothing to do with your business, your demeanor, suggesting you're big headded-ness or anything personal whatsoever.
Please take a chill pill and understand. I feel you've gone over the top in something you really have no understanding of. If I was to be lodging complaints with certain companies, I'd be sure to be in possesion of all facts & figures, pros & cans.
No one is trying to ridicule any person, or their making a living, we are a international group of professional people who are very happy to be members of this site, which is a wealth of information & learning to us all & to you if you allow it.
Please re think about it - nobody was being offensive towards you hun, yes this is a difficult time in this country with the current ecomomic climate as it is, and starting a new business is, probably, in a lot of peoples eyes complete madness, but you have done that & I take my hat off to you.:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back