profit in airbrushing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretty&pampered

Reaction score
i know we all do our nail thing as we have a passion for it but just wondered as i dont do it yet and want to is airbrushing a profit making thing to do?

it does look fab and would love to able able to do it but wondered what the pros and cons of it were. i have no idea if there is a market for it where i live and in all honesty i dont know anyone who does it.

what sort of charges do you make, is it done per nail or set? and how well does it wear, ie is it the same as nail polishor can you seal it with gel ( ithink i know this already , so long and there is a gap around the edge for the gel to stick to) plz correct me if im wrong.

thank you all x

Hi! I have just started an airbrushing course with Essential Nails. I was not convinced that airbrushing was in demand but after asking my clients and getting a very positive feedback I decided to go for it. Not sure how I'm going to price them yet, but basically the more complicated the design the more you charge. A local salon charges between £3 and £25 for airbrush designs (The £25 ones are very detailed!). You can start by offering a free nail of airbrush art to get people hooked.

Some of the girls on here do airbrushing and it might be worth looking at their websites for pricing ideas. I'm sure that someone else will post and help you out more than I can.

Airbrushing can be profitable or a great big waste of time and money depending on how you use it and market it to your clients.

If you are going to invest the considerable amount of money it takes (most likely about 600.00) for class, equipment etc, then you need to USE it in the salon. Use it for everyone even if they only want to have one colour like enamel.

The airbrush needs to be permanently set up and ready to go at all times. Make a charge for one colour and then an extra charge for more colours. You will use it the most for one colour and 2 colour fades and french manicure. Designs are something else. To make it profitable for you you need to use it for all applications. Airbrushing does not = only wild designs etc.

Airbrushed nails last as long as enamel and the application is thinner which is a bonus over an enhancement which already adds extra bulk to the natural nail.

If you commit to the airbrush, you can make a profit, if it is just an added extra for nail art, it will not be used much in the salon and you will not make a profit.

We had a discussion about this way back and I looked at my own figures and only 4% of my income at the time came from airbrushing.

I know there are lots of techs who make lots of money by airbrushing but they are doing it the way Gigi says - airbrushing almost everyone who walks in the door LOL. I am not saying that is a bad thing.

In my opinion it is far better to look after the 96% of your income rather than the 4% - if you are new then spend your efforts getting to the fantastic enhancement situation rather than putting lots of effort into what might be a very small proportion of your income.

If you have clients who never wear a colour on their nails and all only have pink and white then you will not have a market for airbrushing even single colours.

After saying all that, I love airbrushing but I am under no illusions, I do it because I like wearing a fancy french and I have a couple of clients who like something different for special occasions. White is certainly the colour I use most LOL.

Latest posts

Back