Proposed changes re organ donation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adelekeegan1

Chatty geek
Reaction score
On the news this morning it has been announced that there are proposed changes to the rules about organ donation in the UK.

Currently, regardless of an organ donation card being carried, the decision about whether organs are removed lies with the next of kin. This results in family members devastated at the loss of a loved on having to make a very difficult decision.

The proposal is that consent will be assumed unless you carry a card stating that you do not want to donate.

I welcome this proposal, the donor can be sure that their wishes will be carried out and families are not forced to face something so hard to deal with at that time.

What do you think ?

I agree with this decision too Adele.

I do believe in freedom of choice though and those that feel strongly against organ donation have the choice of opting out so their organs wont be used - will be interested to hear how these people can opt out though and how this will be enforced.

Its about time we have been fighting this for some time as I lost my sister two years ago due to lack of doners. 10 years ago it was on the cards that everyone would be up for donating and if you didnt you could carry a card as well as being on a register stating you had opted out and that you did not want to donate (I do believe that if this had gone ahead my sister would still be here today). The reason it did not go ahead is politics it was a conserative idea but labour are in.

Yvonne

Please remember to keep to the rules and leave politics out of this discussion as a mod will tell us off - thanks :lol:

sorry didnt think

Although I personally think its a good idea I do believe that everyone has the right to refuse too and it worries me that this could be open to abuse with some having organs removed against their wishes. I hope it will work because we do need more people out there who are willing to help others to live.

I'm in Australia but I would love to see this happen here too. Too many people die on waiting lists for organs. I'm an organ donor and have an advanced medical directive which takes all medical decisions like these out of my familys hands. I'd hate to be in that position and have made sure my family don't have to do it. The directive tells the Drs what measures I'm willing to have done and what I don't want. eg - if I end up in a vegetative state with no possibility of survival without machines keeping me alive, I want to be switched off. In Australia you can get these medical directives from news agents and once filled in, you give a copy to your local Dr and also the hospital.

I've also consented to donating my body to the local uni for medical students to practice on when I die. They need to learn somehow and if other lives are saved from either organ donation or body donation, then it's a good thing.

One of my nieces was born with only one kidney and my sister and I are hoping one of us is a match if it ever arises that she needs a donation.

After giving it some thought I wondered if it was possible to wear one of those bracelets/necklaces that some people wear to alert medics to medical conditions.
This could indicate that you did not want to donate.

On one hand I think that this is a good idea, as there are a lot of people waiting for donation, and its got to be the hardest decision to make with regards to a loved one.

My only wobble with this is, I wouldn't want my organs or those of my loved ones donated to serious nasty's - eg pedophiles, rapists, murderes etc etc, and would want some serious reassurances first. If this goes ahead, then would it not mean that the hospital can just help themselves - not sure I like that either.

I think that more needs to be done with the donor register and cards, something with the national insurance cards, when you get that you have to register your wishes?????

Just my thoughts - great thought provoking thread Adele xx

My only wobble with this is, I wouldn't want my organs or those of my loved ones donated to serious nasty's - eg pedophiles, rapists, murderes etc etc, and would want some serious reassurances first. If this goes ahead, then would it not mean that the hospital can just help themselves - not sure I like that either.

That would be hard to enforce....i don't think you'd ever get to the point where you could put conditions on who gets your organs, you'd either have to say yes or no to organ donation. jmo :hug:

Great thread.I too thought this was a good all round idea untill you said this glamnails.It has never crossed my mind that my organs could go to a 'nasty'. That would be an awful thing to happen,so now I am unsure what I think.

On one hand I think that this is a good idea, as there are a lot of people waiting for donation, and its got to be the hardest decision to make with regards to a loved one.

I think that more needs to be done with the donor register and cards, something with the national insurance cards, when you get that you have to register your wishes?????

Just my thoughts - great thought provoking thread Adele xx

I agree with this decision too Adele.

I do believe in freedom of choice though and those that feel strongly against organ donation have the choice of opting out so their organs wont be used - will be interested to hear how these people can opt out though and how this will be enforced.

Hear, hear. Totally agree. Good thread Adele. :hug:

Interesting thread Adele

It's a tough one really - I know a lovely little girl who has got to the stage where she is now carrying a bleeper to tell her when a kidney(s) is available - it breaks my heart to see her so ill.

I certainly agree that is very unfair to ask grieving relatives to make that decision, even if it has been known in the past the deceased persons intentions!

I have several concerns AND I AM NOT SAYING ANY ARE RIGHT OR JUSTIFIED - just thoughts added to the pot so to speak!

I don't believe that there are that many suitable donors out there - why? because so many people are self indulgent in the world now in the cash rich countries- how many of us drink and eat too many fatty foods and don't look after ourselves generally? It is only the younger generation who will not have pickled their livers and clogged their arteries - but give them time :eek:

Also, if outwardly a deceased person appears to be suitable and does not appear to have any medical condition on records but subsequently it is found that the organs are all unsuitable - how would that be dealt with? Both sets of families could be devastated.

I to, would like to think that one of my organs went to a deserving person - no guarantees there!

What if an organ was removed and you hadn't got a card and then it was found that for certain reasons it was against your beliefs and wishes?

Once a patient has received a transplant, it doesn't stop there - they have to take anti rejection drugs and be extra careful of contracting an infection etc!

As a caring person, I really want the best for other people but my last concern is that Mother Nature will always find a way to keep a balance, along with others whom we certainly do not have a choice to dictate to - how do we overcome this?

Again, these are thoughts just thrown into the pot!

Although I personally think its a good idea I do believe that everyone has the right to refuse too and it worries me that this could be open to abuse with some having organs removed against their wishes. I hope it will work because we do need more people out there who are willing to help others to live.

That was my first thought too....

What if an organ was removed and you hadn't got a card and then it was found that for certain reasons it was against your beliefs and wishes?

t

Thats the thing isn't it, you might have lost it or forgotten it. I'd really feel for family members if it was later found and there were objections to certain organs or all organs on it.

Why cant your wishes be recorded in your medical records with GP's. That could be linked to a central register.

I agree that you shouldn't have to carry the card around. I like the idea that organ donation will increase but I think, like min11 said, there should be a place this information is registered for everyone - whether you want to or not.

Here we have OHIP health cards (required to access health services) - when they have to be renewed they could request that information and then it is officially on record.

Latest posts

Back