Pros & Cons of Nail Tech Profession ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoff13

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and just wanted to see if anyone wanted to help me with some questions, etc.... I am seriously considering becoming a Nail Tech, but I am also needing to know what the income for this profession may be.

I live in the central Texas area, close to Waco Texas and I just need to know what to expect once I have completed all my schooling. I feel that I will be able to do well in this profession if the money is fair.

Please let me know your thoughts on the pros & cons of being a Nail Tech.

I am anxious to hear from you....thanks and have a great evening !!

Whoff13

Being a nail tech is more than a profession, it's a way of life. That may seem over the top, but the truth is that any good nail tech is extemely passionate about nails.

To become a nail tech is a long, hard, expensive road. It is not as simple as doing a course & starting up. It takes enormous amounts of training & practice, practice & more practice. There was a thread on her rescently asking how long it took before we felt competent, & the majority said 2 years.

Good courses are expensive, & you need to do more then one.

If you want to work for yourself the initial setup is expensive. And it can take a long time to build a regular clintele.

How much is the income? How long is a piece of string? It is impossible to answer as there are so many variables. Mostly though it depends on the area your in and the quality of work. You need to be good to make money.

I think everyone on this sight will tell you that we do it because we love nails. When somebody comes in & they have horrible short nails, & we create beautiful enhancments it gives you the most wonderful sense of accomplishment.

For me some of the pros & cons are as follows:
PROS
  • creating something beautiful
  • clients - Ilove them
  • working a short hours & earning big bucks
  • meeting new people
  • see the same old people
  • constantly learning new things
  • feeling like I'm good at what I do
CONS
  • creating something not so beautiful
  • clients -I hate them
  • working long hours & earning little bucks
  • meeting new people
  • seeing the same people
  • constantly having to learn new things
  • feeling not so good at what I do

The main the to realise is it not something where you can just train & start work. It's working towards something. It can be along time before you start to see any money coming in, let alone make back what you put into it.

There is a lot of business involved in being a nail tech. You may be able to do beautiful nails but if you can't sell yourself then it wont work. I'm pretty new and am still building. I think the the best thing you can do is to be in a salon with people that have been in the beauty industry for a while. It's hard to find the right salon for yourself. There are a lot of wackos in the business so you never know what you're going to find. Watch and observe EVERYTHING, the good and the bad. You can have an awesome business if you are determined and very patient. It's hard and depressing when you're slow or your mess up on someone but it's the best feeling when someone loves what you've done for them and wants to see you again and again. It's a very personal thing because it's your art and hard work that you're putting on peoples nails. I think it all depends on personality and willingness to work hard. I love it (most of the time.)

I have to say the only con i can possibly think of is that when watching someone create the perfect enhancement,it looks like a peice of cake !

The reality of it is that it is difficult to acheive and perfect. x

Latest posts

Back