Protein Bond under Shellac - do you charge extra?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat Surrey

Reaction score
Hi

After reading through various threads I have purchased Young Nails Protein Bond. I am really looking forward to seeing how great it is! I just wondered - I am assuming that as it extends the longevity of the gel application and takes a little longer to remove - that we should be charging a little extra? I would be really interested hear how much extra people charge.

Thanks for your comments

Kind regards

Kat

Last edited:
I don't charge extra but it's only used on clients who struggle to keep Gel Polish on for the expected time frame, so they are not necessarily getting longer, they're just getting the same as my 'normal' clients (approx 14 days). I wouldn't be using it on everyone, it's a problem fixer not everyday use.

As Trinity says above, Protein bond is not used on all your clients so it's not something you'd charge extra for. It's such a quick application, your clients won't even notice you've used it. Protein bond doesn't add to removal time at all in my experience of using it.

Decide on your standard price and when you work it out, allow for these little extras such as protein bond or a strengthening layer e.g.Smooth It.

I only charge extra for nail art. I have 2 levels - simple & complex. Easy to list in the price menu this way.
I consider:
Simple art as adding one technique e.g glitter or foil or stamping
Complex art as adding more than one technique or ombre effects

I don't charge extra but it's only used on clients who struggle to keep Gel Polish on for the expected time frame, so they are not necessarily getting longer, they're just getting the same as my 'normal' clients (approx 14 days). I wouldn't be using it on everyone, it's a problem fixer not everyday use.

Thank you Trinity. That is very useful information. :)

As Trinity says above, Protein bond is not used on all your clients so it's not something you'd charge extra for. It's such a quick application, your clients won't even notice you've used it. Protein bond doesn't add to removal time at all in my experience of using it.

Decide on your standard price and when you work it out, allow for these little extras such as protein bond or a strengthening layer e.g.Smooth It.

I only charge extra for nail art. I have 2 levels - simple & complex. Easy to list in the price menu this way.
I consider:
Simple art as adding one technique e.g glitter or foil or stamping
Complex art as adding more than one technique or ombre effects

CFBS - thank you as well for your really useful information.

May I just ask how you are using Smooth It? I have only seen this used with glitter. Are you using this as a strengthener?

Thanks Kat

CFBS - thank you as well for your really useful information.

May I just ask how you are using Smooth It? I have only seen this used with glitter. Are you using this as a strengthener?

Thanks Kat

To use Lecente 'Smooth It' as a strengthening layer:
  1. Base coat & cure
  2. Smooth It & cure
  3. Colours coat x 2 & cure
  4. Top coat & cure
Smooth it works really well to give a bit of extra strength to the nail, evens out ridges & dips and reduces flexing (less lifting).
I've been using it on myself and several clients with really good results.
Add approx 2 mins extra when you come to soak off.

To use Lecente 'Smooth It' as a strengthening layer:
  1. Base coat & cure
  2. Smooth It & cure
  3. Colours coat x 2 & cure
  4. Top coat & cure
Smooth it works really well to give a bit of extra strength to the nail, evens out ridges & dips and reduces flexing (less lifting).
I've been using it on myself and several clients with really good results.
Add approx 2 mins extra when you come to soak off.

I will be buying and trying that! Thank you so much. :)

Latest posts

Back