Protein shakes instead of meat!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtomrow

Reaction score
I don't eat meat . But I take supplements , eats loads of bananas and beans . Should I take protein shakes? I do work out alot and I'm in good shape but I feel I'm missing out on protein . Are these healthy ?

Do you not eat eggs?
I work out loads, including weight training and am quite "stacked". I dont eat a lot of beans but get loads of protien
Typical day
Porride made with rough cut oats with 6 almonds and skimmed milk.
Snack 2d ryvita with low fat cream cheese and chopped tomatoes
Lunch. Poached egg on spinach on yeast free soda bread with a sprinkle of sunflower seeds
Snack fruit * good tip if eating fruit as a snack is to combine with a protien so an apple with three brazils or natural peanut butter is great.
Tea steamed fish with quinoa (pure protien) and Mexican bean salad with olive oil and chilli.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sorry pressed enter too soon.
On the subject of protien shakes I am not a fan. Usually full of chemicals which you dont find in nature and often high in negative calories and sugar.
Eat clean/train mean/be lean

I don't eat fish either :/ silly question is natural peanut better taste much different from normal peanut butter ? I eat scrambled eggs and boiled eggs. I don't want to be working out if my body's unhealthy I work out to stay fit and I generally enjoy it. Need tips ! I eat loads of fruit as snacks too. And start the day with all bran, a banana and hit water with lemon. I have tea and toast at 10am, at lunch I eat beans and wedges with a small green leaf salad. Potatoes for dinner with Colliflower cheese, think late dinner a 9 inch pizza and toast and tea before bed! I'm actually a little under weight but toned and healthy . Am I doing right?

I don't eat fish either :/ silly question is natural peanut better taste much different from normal peanut butter ? I eat scrambled eggs and boiled eggs. I don't want to be working out if my body's unhealthy I work out to stay fit and I generally enjoy it. Need tips ! I eat loads of fruit as snacks too. And start the day with all bran, a banana and hit water with lemon. I have tea and toast at 10am, at lunch I eat beans and wedges with a small green leaf salad. Potatoes for dinner with Colliflower cheese, think late dinner a 9 inch pizza and toast and tea before bed! I'm actually a little under weight but toned and healthy . Am I doing right?

You need to add more nuts and seeds along with healthy carbs. Wholewheat pasta and wild rice. You may look skinny and under weight but you are not fueling your body correctly and it will lead to other health issues like internal fat. And all that wheat! Toast pizza cereal..you are setting you self up for an intolerance

Natural peanut butter doesn't contain the sugar, salt or additives of normal stuff. You can make your own out of any nut you like..or get ot from holland and barret lol

Protein shakes are fuuulllllll of sugar to make them drinkable!!! Some have your daily amount of sugar in them!!

Protein shakes are fuuulllllll of sugar to make them drinkable!!! Some have your daily amount of sugar in them!!

This does not apply to all protein shakes. Good quality ones are very balanced and a healthy way to supplement your protein intake.

Also, there are many kinds - whey protein, egg white protein, hemp protein, pea protein, brown rice protein, soya protein - not full of sugar at all.

Last edited:
I do a lot of exercise and struggle to get the amount of protein my body needs to repair without supplementing it. I eat white meat so get a lot from chicken and fish but protein shakes are a great way to up your intake.

It doesn't have to be whey protein. I often take soya protein which actually has a higher protein content and is better for you if you gave any problems with your stomach.

There are other great ways to get lots of protein - greek yoghurt, nuts and seeds, beans, tofu etc.

Protein powder is also great for making healthy snakcs - you can bake your own protein bars, muffins etc and enjoy getting your protein that way.

Im vegan and i never struggle to eat enough protein. I eat lots of beans and grains, tofu, tempeh etc. I do have soy protein powder which i occasionally have before a workout but don't rely on it.

Do you track what you're eating? I track on myfitnesspal to make sure i get enough protein/iron etc.

Im vegan and i never struggle to eat enough protein. I eat lots of beans and grains, tofu, tempeh etc. I do have soy protein powder which i occasionally have before a workout but don't rely on it.

Do you track what you're eating? I track on myfitnesspal to make sure i get enough protein/iron etc.

Salj I'm not even a vegetarian and I still struggle to eat enough some days! Do you mind me asking how much protein you're eating? How many grams roughly?

Not at all. MFP recommends 65 grams, so far today I've eaten 96 grams. I did have protein powder before the gym this morning but without it id still be hitting that goal.

Not at all. MFP recommends 65 grams, so far today I've eaten 96 grams. I did have protein powder before the gym this morning but without it id still be hitting that goal.

I aim for 100 at the very minimum, preferably 150, most of which comes from my meals but I do supplement it most days.

I imagine that a lot of people are lacking pritein in their diet buit it really doesn't need to be that way as you've mentioned lots of other great protein sources.

Latest posts

Back