PRS Licence Update

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Glynis*

Gooner Geek
Reaction score
I have now spoken to the Performing Right Society. And yes we all need a licence if our clients can hear music in the salon irrespective of whether the equipment is actually in the salon or not.

It makes no difference if you only deal with one client at a time.

Apparently the rate of £61 + VAT has been set after negotations with the National Hairdressers' Federation who cover all hair and beauty!!

No negotiations have been held with ANT. I am waiting for them to get back to me because I want to know why they are not representing us on this one.

The £61 covers up to 12 members of the public listening. This is of course a larger number than most of us would have in our nail only salons, so I think we should have a lower rate.

We need to deal with this as a group I think, unless we want to pay the same as much larger organisations. Maybe its just me whos a stingey git!

Those of you working in hairdressers or renting a table elsewhere will obviously be covered by the owners' licence.

Glynis ~ Does this cover radio, music only CD's like the massage/relaxing ones as well as pre-recorded artists CD's?

It covers every type of music played, cd, radio, tape doesn't matter. Also it does not matter if you don't pay business rates - paying clients is the criteria.

I have spoken now to the National Hairdressers' Federation. They say they did not negotiate the tarrif. They negotiated with the PPL who represent the writers that licence is £49.96 and apparently we should all have that one too!!!!!

(The PRS one covers the performers)

Trin, just read that old thread. The PRS are saying something completely different to me. If they are paying clients and not friends or family on your premises you have to have a licence - is what they said.

*Glynis* said:
Trin, just read that old thread. The PRS are saying something completely different to me. If they are paying clients and not friends or family on your premises you have to have a licence - is what they said.

Then they've changed it to suit the situation :mad:

I also asked them what they could do if I needed one but refused....their answer was to take me to court for not having one, but admitted it was a civil issue not criminal.

As a civil issue it would cost more to sue me for the licence than the licence itself. As this is my home, they have no right to charge me for listening to the radio in my home. It's a grey area, personally (and it's only my opinion) I don't think they would win a court case.

I still maintain, as I said in the original thread, I'll turn the bloomin thing off rather than pay them a single penny! :mad:

Can you ask to see their small print that actually proves they are entitled to payment from someone working from home. By what they have said, if I was a sales rep on the phone to my client with the radio on in the background I would need a licence which is rediculous! :lol:

I totally see where you are coming from Trin. I too would rather turn the thing off than pay.

However, I really think ANT ought to be on to this representing us. I might do some of the ground work for them later by putting up a poll on here asking numbers in salons. That way they could proved that we are often one man bands and it is unfair for us to pay the same as premises with 30 staff and clients.

Good plan - will reply to the poll later, just off out

how weird just had a phone call from the performing rights society seems they may be going through all the yellow pages, explained i was mostly mobile and he was fine...very well spoken gentleman, so expect some phone calls, i recieved a letter last week so it seems they are chasing people up

I got a letter today too.... binned it actually. I have a tv in my salon that I watch training vids on... will I have to get a licence for that then?

Nail FX said:
I got a letter today too.... binned it actually. I have a tv in my salon that I watch training vids on... will I have to get a licence for that then?

Yes is the answer for that, if it can receive it has to have a licence.

This has been bugging me all day. Hopefully I will hear from ANT tomorrow. Just had another look at the PRS website it states: Television or Radio for up to 30 stylist / treatment chairs But it doesn't specifically say pre recorded CDs. I will have to ring them again tomorrow. They are certainly targeting salons at the moment Joanne, it says so on their website.

Lily also said to me that, if we are one man bands, we are no different from a cab driver having a radio on when they have a P.O.B. (only taxi lingo I know!) Do they have to have the same licences?

It would seem a bit daft to have to pay for this licence if you buy and play CD's that are marketed and sold as relaxing music to be played in the salon. Surely that's what it was bought for, so why would we need to have a licence to be able to play it? Just another example of rip off Britain!

As part of my aerobics you have to have PPL license which you get through the music companies - I'm assuming that I would be covered if had my own salon?!

I had a cancellation today so, in the last hour I have spoken to:

1. Rachel Myatt at ANT and she is going to have a good look into this and see what can be done.

2. The Office of Fair Trading - can't help because it is a business to business matter

3. Trading Standards - can't help because it is a business to business matter (no, apparently I am not a consumer in these situations).

4. The Copyright Tribunal - they think I should perhaps think about legal representation and a tribunal :eek:

5. I left a message for MP to make an appointment to see him.

6. I sent an email to my local Councillor.

My main gripe is not having to pay something (I don't mind that) but it is unfair that we are being asked to pay the same amount as a salon with "30 stylist/treatment chairs", and that a cab driver who only has one or two clients listening to his/her radio pays nothing.

Anyone want to place a bet on me being the first person to be prosecuted for this :lol:

I'm sorry, but this is a joke right !!??

I can't believe that because we are "playing music to our clients", that we have to pay an annual fee for it !

It's just totally ridiculous !

River

*Glynis* said:
Anyone want to place a bet on me being the first person to be prosecuted for this :lol:

Go Glynis, you're a star! We'll be right behind you with our placards saying "Free the Geek One, The Geek One is innocent! :eek:

Oh cricky, what a joke this is!

I have had a long conversation with the PRS explaining that we are in various situations. She was a really helpful lady and i would suggest anyone who has concerns to ring her. (Jolaade on 0800 0684828)

You do not need a licence if you are mobile based in customers houses or if you work from home, as long as you do not pay business rates. (This is not your council tax).

You need a licence if:

You are salon based. It is the owners responsability to get the licence. So if you rent a desk/room, it is not for you to get. If you own the salon, you should get it!

You need to have 2 seperate licences:
PPL - royalties to record companies
PRS - royalties to songwriters

The charge for both licences combined is £72.72 inc vat. This is for up to 5 working desks/chairs, (so if you have 10 staff but no more than 5 working at a time your still covered) and if you listen to the radio and play tapes/CD's. If you have more techs, the rate will go up, but it depends on the salon situation, ie if you also have hairdrssers, therapists etc. It is irrelevent of how many of the public are in your salon.

You can call the above number and pay by C/C or send a cheque.
I will look into getting a better rate for us all but according to the business website, it is highly unlikely, but i will try.

So it is up to you if you need one to get it. I asked why this is not promoted and she said it is?? I said councils should inform all business owners when starting up. So i will call them to! I will ask Pro Nails to put something in the mag to let all techs know to.

Just a final thought............... i know a lady who has had a salon business for 15 years and has never had a licence!!!!

chocolate said:
You need to have 2 seperate licences:
PPL - royalties to record companies
PRS - royalties to songwriters

The charge for both licences combined is £72.72 inc vat. This is for up to 5 working desks/chairs, (so if you have 10 staff but no more than 5 working at a time your still covered) and if you listen to the radio and play tapes/CD's. If you have more techs, the rate will go up, but it depends on the salon situation, ie if you also have hairdrssers, therapists etc. It is irrelevent of how many of the public are in your salon.

Rachel, this is wrong the PRS licence is £61.89 which is £72.72 including VAT. I checked it again with a guy called David Gunn at PRS and it definately does not include the PPL licence which is another £49.96, and yes we are supposed to have both.

The figures of "up to 5 desks etc" that you quote are for CD or tape playing only (i.e. constant music) you can have up to 30 chairs if you are playing radio.

chocolate said:
Just a final thought............... i know a lady who has had a salon business for 15 years and has never had a licence!!!!

They told me when I called earlier today (in no uncertain terms) that they have the legal right to back date your licence. However how they would go about proving this is anyones guess.

I spoke to my local MP today who is going to write today to the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry to express my concerns at the unfairness of the charge on small business like us. If enough of us contact our local MPs we might get somewhere.

Is that why when you go in some shops they are playing songs that are not the original artist? - therefore they dont have to pay for this license...also when I used to go to aerobics all of the songs played were not the original artist either.

Im sorry Glynis, but i am just passing on the info i was told today, just as you are. She definatly said that was the price for both combined.

It is a legal obligation to obtain the correct license. Just as i had to pay £1850 for a licence to teach nail extensions on my premisis. No one told me i needed the licence. I did the research as i am all for doing things correct, i paid the fee. Im also on the fight for finding people who teach without a licence. Another battle to fight.........

Latest posts

Back