Psoraisis natural remedies

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilai

Reaction score
Hi, I have been searching about Psoriasis for a while, I looked at previous posts here but I cannot find the solution. Can you advise natural treatment for this problem mainly on scalp. Someone asked my help, she was advised to use Calendula Macerated oil to apply over night, Lavender shampoo, and Stellaria cream (all from Neal's Yard). After she is using Calendula macerated oil it absorb very quickly and leave her greasy and if she doesn't wash it starts itching. I thought conditioner is missing here. Does she need to wait to see the result?
She has been to doctors and used all sort of chemicals, skincare and shampoos that are designed for this problem contain coal tar, etc. She had light therapy but she just give up on it.
You advise is highly appreciated.

Hi Lilai,

Psoriasis is an auto immune disease and topical remedies will only treat the external symptoms and won't get rid of the condition. Oils etc help hydrate the skin but realistically she may need something a bit more suited to scalp to treat the patches, hydrate them and not leave her feeling uncomfortable and itchy.
I really believe managing this condition is trial and error. There are stronger ointments that can be used but I'd suggest referring her to her doctor to try and come up with a proper plan.

Natural remedies are great, but in 20 years of trying to manage this condition myself, they only work in conjunction with meds for me...easing the skin and letting me reduce steroid use.

There is an injection available which I've heard great things about but it's something I will probably do a few years down the line as it carries a lot of other medical considerations.

Psoriasis is an extremely difficult condition to control and as above poster said its a lot trial and error it often breaks out with stress .The one thing that seems to help (and I say help not cure as there is no cure) overall for all sufferers is light therapy,its offered still on the nhs in some regions.

Mine stopped when I stopped eating dairy. It turns out I am allergic to Casein in milk, which was aiding and abetting the psoriasis (amongst other things).

I stress I only did this with my GP's knowledge and was tested and diagnosed by him.

Might be worth her asking about it to see if trying a short term elimination diet might change anything.

I used to use Denorex (coal tar) shampoo which I found offered the best relief but she's probably tried that as it's quite popular.

I once had it from head to toe and it felt bloody vile, so hope she finds some relief soon. x

Last edited:
I take royal jelly (royal gelee from boots) & use eucerin cream with 5% urea. & go on a sunbed once every two weeks- when I am abroad I don't have any problems. Mine is very mild though. Had an out break last weekend thanks to stress & you would never guess now! Xx

Hi Lilai,

Psoriasis is an auto immune disease and topical remedies will only treat the external symptoms and won't get rid of the condition. Oils etc help hydrate the skin but realistically she may need something a bit more suited to scalp to treat the patches, hydrate them and not leave her feeling uncomfortable and itchy.
I really believe managing this condition is trial and error. There are stronger ointments that can be used but I'd suggest referring her to her doctor to try and come up with a proper plan.

Natural remedies are great, but in 20 years of trying to manage this condition myself, they only work in conjunction with meds for me...easing the skin and letting me reduce steroid use.

There is an injection available which I've heard great things about but it's something I will probably do a few years down the line as it carries a lot of other medical considerations.
What an excellent post, I completely agree, I suffer and do does my son. Treatment is very much trial and error, there is a temptation to try everything but then it's impossible to know what is working and you can make it worse. I agree combination treatment with the advice of a good dermatologist :-( xx

Thank you very much for all your wonderful advices :)

Latest posts

Back