Psoriasis & Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cath4512

Reaction score
I have read through lots of threads but cant find a definitive answer.

I have a client booked in for the first time who has psoriasis on her nails. They are discoloured quite badly & three are reall lifted up at an angle. She keeps them short as advised by her doctor.

She is wanting to try shellac, to cover the discolouration & just make her nails look better. I have told her that there is no guaruntee that it will last.

What are your opinions on doing a shellac treatment on her nails? Also, will it be ok to soak off with d.solve using the wraps?

I will of coures advocate using solar oil.

Thanks geeks

It all depends on how bad the condition is if her skin if she has open sores then no would not advise to do it at all until it's calmed and the are no open wounds.

When u say lifted up at an angle do u mean they've separated from the nail bed? If this is the case again dependant on how bad the separation is I wouldn't do it. Hrs other geeks may have some other opinions regarding the lifting.

Thanks. She has no open sores, but yes, the nail is lifted away from the nail bed. She is going to a wedding & just wants to cover the discoloration & improve the appearance. Normal polish chips in a few hours.

I have psoriasis under my nails and I use shellac.

When I get lifting at an angle I have to use a layer of fiberglass or Gel to stop it from breaking and my worst one goes halfway down the nail bed! Then I put the Shellac over the top. If she is only going to have shellac for this one occasion it's probably not worth doing the fiberglass/gel layer.

I have not had an issue with wrapping off with dsolve but you might want to test this on her before you put the Shellac on. I haven't put it on anyone else with psoriasis so I can only comment on my personal experience.
hth's

P.S. it may well be coincidence but I've found that my nail psoriasis improved once I started using Shellac which I put down to regular solar oil use :)

I used to get shellac and enhancement with my psoriasis in my nails and I feel too it's definately made it alot better, if you don't do this on the lady please make sure you warn her of the NSS salons as she may go in there to get them done as they will do them,

One of my regular clients has psoriasis of the nails - they are discoloured and she suffers from onycholysis (nail bed separation) on most nails. She has a Coloured L&P Natural Nail Overlay because she is so embarrassed of her condition that she tries to hide her hands.

My lady only suffers with her nails, not skin, and she keeps them short and clean. I'd say if there are open sores etc then try to steer clear, do a patch test before treatment and advise her how to look after them properly.

You should be fine, most people with psoriasis are very aware of the condition and would know if there was something abnormal. If you're particularly worried, maybe you could ask for a doctor's note before carrying out the treatment?

xxx

Thanks for all the help. I am going todo the shellac for her. She did say that if it lasted a week or more she would maybe keep up to it, so I will see how she goes on.

My best friend also has this and Shellac is fine on her but does not always last the full 2 weeks, it always lasts at least a week though and she is really happy with it. As the nails are lifting from the nail bed I am always really careful to support them when i am filing them so as not to make them worse.

If you do this for her she will keep coming back as a sufferer myself I was always embarrassed when people looked at my nails and hands as I have it badly in my palms but that's the only place (I wear gloves for all treatments) and she will thankyou and become loyal xx

Latest posts

Back