psoriasis - sugaring

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fefifo

Reaction score
I have a lady wishing to have some sugaring done and she suffers with psoraisis. Can anyone tell me if it is OK to sugar a client with psoriasis if the skin does not have open wounds.:!:

I have a lady with psoriasis also she has a large patch on her leg when it is not too inflamed and just dry i go over it with no problem otherwise i sugar around it also for smaller angry patches i put vaseline over them just in case i might catch them.

Thank you for the advice. I will certainly be checking the area to be sugared carefully and will use the vaseline tip if I think there are some areas to be avoided

In my sugaring manual it says

Sugaring can actually be beneficial to psoriasis sufferers. Psoriasis is the build up of dead skin and as sugaring removes only the dead skin cells from the area, regular sugaring (ie 2 or 3 times a week) can help.

Hth's xxx

Hi,

How you carry out the treatment really depends on the severity of the psoriasis. As sufferers often have dry, loose skin, you may find that the sugaring removes more than just the hair, and may cause the top layer of skin to be removed that will result in grazing.

The best course of action would be to avoid as much of the affected area as possible, so as not to cause your client any discomfort and avoid the risk any cross infection if the skin is open. If in doubt refer the client to their GP for advice prior to having the treatment.

I would agree with everything that Louisa has said. If you are performing strip sugaring as opposed to hand paste then be a little more careful also as the sugar paste if you are not careful does get rather hot.

No, Do NOT exfoliate psorisis. It will just cause the skin to grow even quicker! Psorisis is already a rapid over growth of skin. Any further irritation to it will cause more problems. I'm speaking from a personal experience perspective.

Thanks for all your replies. This is my first time on the forums and I am sure it will not be my last. I am a complete newbie to Salon geek, so please bear with me as I have many questions to ask and advice to be sought. I qualified level 2 beauty therapy 2 years ago, but have to admit to not doing much on all the aspects, some more than others but mostly on friends and family. I have just undertaken and past the salon systems nail extensions course in Fibreglass/silk and Gel. And I am now considering on starting a small business at home doing beauty and nails. Love this site and everyone seems very friendly and helpful.

I used to have psoriasis and the thought of having sugaring/waxing or anything else done over it would have worried me...they say not to scratch or pick at it so i guess this would also be a no no too. xxx

Latest posts

Back