psoriasis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nails At The Hat Hire Company

Reaction score
hi.. whilst doing the 'marathorn 8hr nail stint' at the weekend guy - neighbour of mine - kept waving his hand in front of me asking what could be done with the 'hole in his nail' said it had been there for ages and been told nothing could be done.
had a quick look... and checked up in my nail disorder/diseases book and psoriasis is what it looks like... i know ,i wont diagnose him . im not a doc..
but is there anything that can help....

also there was a thread about new customers and a 'pinkie 'of solar oil given to them... can i order this(not being creative trained) and do you mean 1/8 oz thats in the trade catalogue i was kindly sent by creative
thanks all

the holes are caused by sections of weakly bonded keratin cells in the nail that kinda go soft and fall out in chunks which is what the holes are.

as far as i know, providing their GP has been consulted and ok'd the treatment to be performed - and onycholysis is not present (seperation of the nail plate and nail bed), you can safely & carefully manicure or apply enhancements to nails providing these are kept short and regularly rebalanced.

hi thanks for that... as hes a guy i dont think he will want enhancements... hes looking for an answer about will it always be there... another nail tech has told him it will.(not to be distrespectful of this tech - but some cant be bothered with the hassle of finding the answer )
my male manicure invloves buffing the nail plate - am i correcxt in thinking this is to be seriously avoided.... is there anything that will help product wise ie solar oil etc etc.,,
thanks
ive only been in this biz for a year and problems like these help me too.

You could put a couple of layers of resin over the nail for him if it needs any sort of protection but definately use solar oil, it will help with the healing process

Well as long as the doc says it's ok , and there are no contra indications like Nikki said,I would just give him nice manicures, keep the nails short and neat and tidy, so there are no ragged edges, make it as solar rich as poss, keeping the nailplate full of the good stuff.
Also sufferers from this condition usualy have a faster growth rate so weekly manicures will be much better then say monthly.

Love Ruth xxxx

My boyfriend suffers from this, and his nails are all dented and ugh! LOL! They're really thick aswell and grow v fast. I make sure he trims them regularly, and I even gave him a bottle of solar oil to rub into his nails!

Thats all I could think of doing! I didnt think they needed any protection, they're quite (actually, REALLY) strong. Just regular maintainance is what his nails get!

Men! :rolleyes:

xxlaylaxx

Don't know if I'm right in saying this, (I'm sure Samuel will correct me if I'm wrong) but i would avoid trimming the nail with nail clippers so as not to shatter the layers of the natural nail.
Instead I would shorten and shape the free edge with a 240 grit abraisive.

Providing you are not using any harsh abraisives on the surface of the nail, i would have thought you can buff with a 3 way buffer to seal in moisture such as solar oil. After all, if you can apply enhancements, you will need to use a 240 abraisive to remove surface shine, would you not? So I don't see why you can't buff the nail, just go gently, gently.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

xx

I have a long standing customer with psoriasis. Her nails are really strong, but a bit on the yellow side. She loves having a Solar Manicure, with the One minute manicure rubbed ever so gently, maybe rubbed is not quite the right word... :D Then wrapped after applying a LLLLLAAAARRRRGGGGEEEE amount of Solar Butter :D One thing tho, I don't clip her nails, as it is almost impossible. I use small scissors to cut them. She also buy Solar Butter / Solar silk (and of course Solar Oil) as she really likes the effect it has on her skin. It really moisturises it and also helps in reducing the redness. I think she uses it almost everywhere!! But I haven't checked that! :D
Don't seem to be able to reduce the yellowing tho, and I am slightly reluctant to have her soak in anything. It would be great if there was a whitening product you could apply with a cotton bud or something similar and leave to work for a minute or two to whiten the nails without having to soak!! Could also work on overlays to clean up the underside.... 8)

Could you not try NailBrite to take yellowness out of nail??????
I tried it on a lady that had very badly stained nails due to campfires and it worked a treat. You don`t have to soak them, just put in on, leave a few minutes then brush with a nail brush.

so will this condition 'grow out' or get better with the treatments above... has anyone had a client that has had this and treated it to miracle results... or is that asking TOO much lol
Cheers

I don't know too much on how to prevent this yellowing or whether Nailbrite will cure the yellowing.

Yellowing of the nail plate is quite common in Psoriasis, this can occur in patches or over the entire nail plate. These patches are called 'Salmon patches'. Maybe the nail plate is more porus, if the cells fall out in chunks, the surface is temporarily free of surface oil which may allow the nail to stain from nicotine or certain dyes.

Try using base coat and a matt finish top coat on men, but remember to always use a basecoat with colours.

Well I don't know about miracle results lol
It's a skin disorder usually inherited, changes you see on the nails are very similar to the changes you see on the skin.
As for miracle results, no I haven't seen miracles but have seen changes on the nailplate over a few month on most of my clients who suffer from this. Stress makes it worse thats for sure.......................
I had some great results with Solar Oil and thats just been over a period of about 7 weeks. The new growth area seems less pitted, but then again how can anyone be stressed when they smell of Danish swirl lol hmmmmmmmmm. The nails also seem less yellow and are more flexible , if you know what I mean, less brittle in my clients cases. But it takes time to see any results,I keep an eye on the new growth area, but solar rich manicure is in my opinion def the way to go, that is unless there are contra indications and the Doc has said it would interfere with any of his prescribed medicine like steroid cream or so.............
Gently buffing is fine, i just use the smoothes side of my buffer, the grey one in my case. Plenty of solar oil on the nail and then buff it lighlty into the nail......................

Love Ruth xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back