PTTLS and becoming a trainer..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailAddiction

Salon Owner & Educator
Reaction score
Hi geeks!!

Hoping somebody can help me! I have always wanted to go into the teaching side of the industry (short courses/training through companies not at a college)
Is there a certain amount of time you need to have been in the industry to be able to start working towards training and is it just the PTTLS training I would be required to do?

Thanks in advance!!

I believe the minimum is 3-5 years in the industry

Sorry to butt in- ive been looking into this but what I can't get my head around is once u start teaching how can your students become qualified as such with a valid and recognised certificate for insurance purposes?? Don't suppose anyone nos?

Hi geeks!!

Hoping somebody can help me! I have always wanted to go into the teaching side of the industry (short courses/training through companies not at a college)
Is there a certain amount of time you need to have been in the industry to be able to start working towards training and is it just the PTTLS training I would be required to do?

Thanks in advance!!

You don't need any experience to do the PTLLS course, that can be done by anyone who has basic GCSE's.

After PTLLS you would need about 75 hours of teaching experience to go on to DTLLS which is approx 2 years. You need another 75 hours to complete the course.

So get your PTLLS done as thats relatively easy. Then approach colleges for teaching jobs. Preferably paid and then the college may put you through DTLLS or if you can't get anywhere, volunteer for some hours just to get that 75. The PTLLS gives you a threshold license to teach for 5 years.

This info is relevant to 2009 when I did my PTLLS so please forgive me if anything has changed.

It'd need to be accredited.
Babtac has how to get your courses accredited on their website. I'm sure all of the other major beauty insurers would do too.

Sorry to butt in- ive been looking into this but what I can't get my head around is once u start teaching how can your students become qualified as such with a valid and recognised certificate for insurance purposes?? Don't suppose anyone nos?

If you mean private courses, you would need to get your course accredited by an awarding body such as the Guild or FHT. They have quite strict but obviously necessary guidelines but once you've got one course done you know what you're doing so it's easier.

Once it's accredited, your students can get relevant insurance but it doesn't have to be from the same body.

Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone, all your info really helps! I will start looking into the PTTLS courses! :)

Another question... Does anybody know if I wanted to work through a company to provide training would they put me onto the PTTLS training or do you think I'd need to already have this to work for a company?

Bumping this up...

its worth doing your ptlls before you approach a company to work as a trainer.

i imagine it quite competitive so if you've already got the qualification and experience under your belt it would probably help a lot.

its worth doing your ptlls before you approach a company to work as a trainer.

i imagine it quite competitive so if you've already got the qualification and experience under your belt it would probably help a lot.

Good point! Thanks :)

Latest posts

Back