Pushing back sensitive cuticles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovevanity

Reaction score
Hey!
I’m a newbie so be gentle haha! I’m currently a nail tech in training. I decided to give my mum a manicure for practice and she’s over 60. She has a thyroid condition so obviously takes medication for it. She NEVER uses cuticle oil or moisturises her hands, despite them being dry all the time (I’ve told her and told her lol, she just forgets!). I went to push back her cuticles and I swear, I was being so gentle, because she had previously had sore cuticles when I’d done it before. I couldn’t even actually push anything back! She said it was “sensitive”. She had visible non-living material stuck to the nail plate but even using literally no pressure (I admit, I was testing to see if she was being dramatic haha. I took off all pressure and just lightly stroked the tool over). Sure enough it was tender and her cuticles were actually a bit red!

Now I’m worried it’s not uncommon, and when I eventually qualify, I’ll be dealing with occasional clients like that - and I’m not sure how to go ahead without hurting anyone lol.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

As long as you have checked all the contra indications and you are ok to proceed I would suggest doing a traditional manicure unless you are doing a gel nail service.
Your mum could have a very thin nail plate (like me) and it can be very tender. So I am not keen on metal pushers, but it can be done by being very gentle, and having a 10-15 degree angle on the pusher if that makes sense. No cuticle should be sore after what you have done. So technique needs looking into.

Metal pushers are rather harsh in your mums case and instead I would recommend using an orangewood stick with cotton wool around the end of the stick. This would have cuticle remover on it and you can perform a rolling action to gently lift the tissue away.

Nail oil, applied daily and massaged firmly will help to condition, so you will have to nag her into doing it.

Use the fat end of a cotton bud dipped in Scrubfresh (or equivalent) to push back the cuticle. I have a couple of clients like this. Works well.

I use CND Cuticle Erase which is A.H.A. based. It works incrementally over a period of time. Tell her she has to apply the tiny bead to each nail every night. Or, you will surely fail your course! A bribe.

If she has no untoward effects of the aha then slowly that stubborn bit on the nail plate will go away. Strong or overgrown tissue take constant care, not just a manicure once in awhile.

these pics are of the worst ones I ever had. The tissue is so thin, it’s almost invisible.

Attachments

• 87343EC6-B624-4CEA-ADE9-DAFDF32E8186.jpeg
    87343EC6-B624-4CEA-ADE9-DAFDF32E8186.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • DD6CAF33-D4B9-4262-80AB-B46BB9BBB5C6.jpeg
    DD6CAF33-D4B9-4262-80AB-B46BB9BBB5C6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
  • 79549DBC-D99F-47D5-8D26-FE9E4C9457EA.jpeg
    79549DBC-D99F-47D5-8D26-FE9E4C9457EA.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Latest posts