Q&A sculpting platform?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

florence2004

Reaction score
Hey geeks
do you always make platform when doing sculpts?

When I did my foundation training we were taught to make a very thin extention with white powder at the end of the free edge and then to build over the top of this with the white again to make the sculpt - is this just a creative technique?

When watching the Tammy Taylor Sculpting video she does not do this so I am wondering if it is necessary to do 2 layers when using creative powder as my enhancements seem to be a little on the thick side.

I do... all though I was not taught to do so (CND Amb trained), I was taught to do it in one bead... but I was always dissapointed in them... so I read up on sculpting and read about building the platform first.. and whalah perfect sculpts :)

I think it's down to personal preference. I nornamally don't build a platform, but sometimes if I have to build a large FE (very long or very wide) I find it easier to do in 2 layers.

Definitely personal choice.
Choice is good!!

I prefer to put my form on and then sculpt a thin layer to give me my length and shape, this extends the natural nail and gives an even surface for the second bead.
With the second bead I can really concentrate on a perfect smile line, as length and shape have already been sorted.

I show my students this method, and also doing it in one bead....and they can decide which suits them best....although I do think beginners do better working in layers, and gain extra confidence when those smiles improve!!:)

Because i am more of a tipper...lol When i do sculpt i do it in the very same way as izzi......in layers... in my mind its like i am making a tip then overlaying over the tip...if you get me :lol:

I do mine in layers now too, when I first started sculpting I found it difficult to get the smile right doing it in one bead, I find it so easy now!:green:

Because i am more of a tipper...lol When i do sculpt i do it in the very same way as izzi......in layers... in my mind its like i am making a tip then overlaying over the tip...if you get me :lol:

Exactly Joanne.....I think that is why I prefer it......when you sculpt the form repels the bead, and it slides a little on that first press, but on a tip the porous nature of the tip holds the bead on right away.
That is why I like to work in layers when I sculpt, as that second bead with which I do my smile is just like working on a tip...no sliding!!!

Thanks geeks

So when making your platform you butt up against the free edge right? Do you also take the platform round towards the side walls or leave that until 2nd layer? I am finding that I am getting too much length with my bead and not enough width.

Fit your form under the free edge making sure it is a snug fit, so there will be no risk of seepage.

Place you first bead on the form just above the free edge....when you press the bead it should then butt up to the free edge.....press it out to both sides working consistently from side to side.
Remember this bead is not the full enhancement, therefore it should only be as thick as the natural nail.....you will possibly even see the lines of the form through it.
If it is just the same thickness of the natural nail then it gives you an even, flat surface for the next bead IYKWIM.

You HAVE to get this bead out to the sides and create your shape with it.

With your second and slightly larger bead you place it on the free edge just above where you want the smile....press out into the smile, pressing and guiding the product into the smile...then smooth back over what you have already done.

If required, wipe any liquid out of your brush and tidy up the smile by tucking it in....don't swoop the brush around the smile as that will dull it...tucking will sharpen it.
Remember the smile should already be there because of your application...and if it looks good you can leave it alone!!
HTH

Thanks Izzi
will have a go at that later and post results!

Latest posts

Back