Q for Retention+ people

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neko

Reaction score
Darlings, got a new job. I have never used CND before, so if you could give me a hand, I would appreciate it.

Correct ratio? I know it's supposed to absorb all the powder by the time you count to three slowly. But approximate liquid to power "parts" would help if anyone knows.

Scrubfresh? At the moment I'm using it just once before acrylic application. Is this right? Also, I know a lot of techs on here really really scrub with it. I've been told to apply it with a primer brush. Is this still going to work? There are no lint-free wipes, except for the gel. And I get the impression that the Big Boss is a bit of a nazi about supplies, from what the manager has said :eek:

Thanks lovelies!

The mix ratio is 1 and 1/2 parts liquid to one part powder, a medium wet ratio,
when using clear or perfect pink the bead should have a frosted glass apperance and when using the white powder the bead should have an orange peel texture to it.
Your scrub fresh does need to scrubbed into the nail plate for 5 secs to prevent lifting and kill any nasties hth

Oh man, I hate when the "boss" doesn't want you to spend money on supplies that you need! (especially when the boss is you--but that's another post entirely:D). You do need a good lint-free wipe in order to really scrub in the SF--a primer brush ain't gonna cut it (although, maybe a really stiff, short bristle might do the job.). This really makes a difference in adhesion.

Equally important for adhesion is ensuring that the mix ratio is spot on. Most of us nail techs tend to work wet, which is why (IMO) we hear so many complaints from techs about CND (well, I hear a lot over here in the states, anyway). But once you get that ratio down, the stuff is an absolute dream to work with, and lets you create really thin and tough enhancements. You heard right about the 3 seconds and powder absorbs rule (or "going going gone" if you prefer). I don't know why, but that never helped me as much as having someone SHOW me what the bead LOOKS like when it's the right consistancy. I've been doing nails for 8 years, and it was just this last May that I had that lightbulb go on over my head! :D Now I don't even need to use primer, not even on my problem lifters.

So what does the bead look like? (I know you're dying for me to tell you.) It's textured--the white powder (and flawless, and all the other opaque powders) will look like an orange peel; the clear colors look like the rough side of a frosted glass shower door. To do a test bead, place it on a nail tip, sheet of plastic, or back of a sculpting form. The bead should settle a bit, and dome, but not flatten (too wet) or hold its shape (too dry.) If the bead looks too wet on the brush (really smooth and glossy, and maybe ready to drop off the brush), you can redip until the powder absorbs correctly. If it's too dry (powder not absorbed), wipe it off on your table towel and get another bead. You might need to adjust the way you pick up liquid in your brush, by wiping it against the side of the dappen dish once more than you think you need to. Eventually, you get a feel for how much liquid is in your brush.

I hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back