Qualification advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellboy

Reaction score
Hi I would be grateful for some advice regarding my qualification.

My qualification was gained through Vidal Sassoon in the early 90´s after three years of training/written exams, advanced cutting, styling and technical work. I sat what was described as a basic test, after passing that test I was qualified. However as standard procedure at Sassoon, I was expected to work for a further three months and increase my speed to do clients proper, before I was qualified in their eyes to work on the floor as a stylist for Sassoon.

However it was explained to me at the time that after the three months my job placement would be at another Sassoon salon in another city. For this reason I decided to go and work for a newly opened Tony & Guy Salon locally, without doing the three month period at Sassoon.

Because of this my NVQ qualification was level 2, despite passing to an advanced standard, I was not afforded the level 3. As Sassoon only credit candidates who worked on their floor as a stylist with a level 3 qualification.

Throughout my career I have never been bothered about not having a level 3 certificate, something I feel I was cheated out of all those years ago. However at this time in my life I am looking to immigrate abroad and the level 3 qualification would now help me. I am not currently associated with a salon, so am unsure what my options are.

Is a level 2 qualification in 1993 comparable to a level 3 of today, if yes would City and Guilds be able to update my old qualification?

If not does anyone know if I can upgrade my qualification, without taking an expensive/un-necessary course?

Last edited:
im in the same situation ,i never got the chance to be assessed 4 my level 3 in salonand now im freelance ,but i feel that when i trained and the experience ive had has suppassed a llevel 3 , but ive been told id have to do a full time course for a year ( which is impossible with my 2 kids ) theres no faST TRACKING ( ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE OVER 18 ANYWAY) and they are unlikely to give you a place anyway if your not in a salon . I think you can get assessed privately ,but again they prefer you to be salon based.
Yes ,i think the level 2 is equivelant to a level 3 now ,because i dont think they do advanced perming techniques till lvl 3 now ,but that may be because fashions have changed .

im in the same situation ,i never got the chance to be assessed 4 my level 3 in salonand now im freelance ,but i feel that when i trained and the experience ive had has suppassed a llevel 3 , but ive been told id have to do a full time course for a year ( which is impossible with my 2 kids ) theres no faST TRACKING ( ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE OVER 18 ANYWAY) and they are unlikely to give you a place anyway if your not in a salon . I think you can get assessed privately ,but again they prefer you to be salon based.
Yes ,i think the level 2 is equivelant to a level 3 now ,because i dont think they do advanced perming techniques till lvl 3 now ,but that may be because fashions have changed .

Thanks so much for your reply.

In the last sentence you intimate that my/our level 2 qualifications may be the equivalent to the level 3 now.

Do you think City and Guilds acknowledge this? As perhaps I could just get them to update my old qualification. Probably a long shot, perhaps someone else has done something similar & could advise if this is indeed possible.

I think you would be better to contact the city and guilds board, they are the only people who can answer your question really but be prepared to be told you will need to redo your level 3 hth

i dont think theres anyway around it unfortunately . even an evening class once a week would help me but no- its really their way or the highway

Actually there is another way - its called Accreditation of Prior Learning/Accreditation of Prior Achievement/Recognition of Prior Learning. Its called different things by different awarding bodies. What you need to do is to go a centre which offers the current NVQs (or SVQs in Scotland) explain your circumstances and explain that you are looking for recognition against the current qualifications. They should be able to offer you APL/APA/RPL. An FE College is probably your best bet. If you have any problems contact Ofqual (for NVQs) and SQA (for SVQs)

Best of luck!!

Actually there is another way - its called Accreditation of Prior Learning/Accreditation of Prior Achievement/Recognition of Prior Learning. Its called different things by different awarding bodies. What you need to do is to go a centre which offers the current NVQs (or SVQs in Scotland) explain your circumstances and explain that you are looking for recognition against the current qualifications. They should be able to offer you APL/APA/RPL. An FE College is probably your best bet. If you have any problems contact Ofqual (for NVQs) and SQA (for SVQs)

Best of luck!!

Thanks so much for your advice, I will get on to the relevant body ASAP.

If I can get accredited with current qualifications, then your help will be invaluable to me.

Thanks once again and all the best to you.

Latest posts

Back