Qualification Query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeupartistjennyb

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Hoping for some help with this one. I have been looking at some threads recently that metion the NVQ for Nail extensions. I have the VCTC Nail Technology certificate that I got at college after going on a course that cost alot of money and only doing one nail!! (Thats another story) Can someone tell me how I would benifit from the NVQ is the same as what I already have. Would some of what I have already done apply to the NVQ? Where would I get more info from?

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

beautybonanza said:
Hi Everyone,

Hoping for some help with this one. I have been looking at some threads recently that metion the NVQ for Nail extensions. I have the VCTC Nail Technology certificate that I got at college after going on a course that cost alot of money and only doing one nail!! (Thats another story) Can someone tell me how I would benifit from the NVQ is the same as what I already have. Would some of what I have already done apply to the NVQ? Where would I get more info from?

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Hiya u should find all the answers your after in this link.
http://www.samuelsweet.com/showthread.php?t=6600&highlight=letters

Hi Beautybonanza

i am sure you will find all the answers you need on the link that was recommended.

But....you probably don't want to be bothered but your experience with 'one' nail is happening too often and does this industry so much damage! It would be really useful if you would write to the Awarding Body (in this case VTCT) and tell them in detail. If it was an NVQ I would suggest writing to HABIA too. Also, write to Scratch and Prof Nails to tell them. Maybe if they get enough of this info they will write an article about what actually happens on some of these courses.

I have written an article before but the more info the better for the whole industry so everyone knows what is right and what is not acceptable.

Thanks
Marian

Hi

I also did the VTCT Qualification in Nail extensions and nail art, I am also due to do the new Nail NVQ level 3 in Oct. It's my understanding that the VTCT is the same level as the NVQ level 2. Hope this helps

Maybe a little more help:
Most of the Awarding Bodies i.e. City & Guilds, VTCT, CIBTAC have their own qualifications PLUS NVQ qualifications.

They are usually very similar but have a different arrangement of units or modules. They are usually designed for colleges to offer short courses that result in a Certificate or Diploma. If similar NVQ units were taken each unit would achieve its own Cert. By putting a few together like this it makes a short course more tempting. However, they are not NVQ's. Nothing wrong with that if they are being taught and assessed properly by nail experts!

The new full NVQ's (Level2 = 8 units, Level 3 =8 units) have a much wider scope. This is what the industry has never had before, only the equivalent of short courses. In beauty, the comparison would be learning waxing and eye brow treatments only against a qualified Beauty Tharapist

Marian

hi i cant find anyone in essex doin the new nvq does anyone know???

I have read all of the posts with interest and am still unsure as to how to collate my qualifications.

I trained as a beauty therapist many years ago, for three years and received my IHBC diploma. I can therefore do all the usual beauty treatments including manicures, pedicures, electrolysis and body treatments. Am I correct in thinking that this is an equivalent of the current NVQ level 3 in beauty?

I have a recent diploma in Indian Head massage and for this I had to be rexamined and do extra coursework for anatomy and physiology, health and safety and business studies. I think these were called M2/M74 papers and these then counted towards my next qualification in nails!

I then did my advanced nails at college and got thrown into this deluge of letters, qualifications that is thoroughly confusing! I am awaiting the diploma which I presume will be IHBC in advanced nail techniques and is Unit 19. I used all three systems within my training, albeit gel was self taught! I also have an IHBC nail art diploma. Do I have a complete NVQ in nails if there is such a thing? With the introduction of NVQ 3 in nails this autumn, what if anything would I have to do to attain this?

Yours, very confused!

Do-it-all Deb said:
I have read all of the posts with interest and am still unsure as to how to collate my qualifications.

I trained as a beauty therapist many years ago, for three years and received my IHBC diploma. I can therefore do all the usual beauty treatments including manicures, pedicures, electrolysis and body treatments. Am I correct in thinking that this is an equivalent of the current NVQ level 3 in beauty?

I have a recent diploma in Indian Head massage and for this I had to be rexamined and do extra coursework for anatomy and physiology, health and safety and business studies. I think these were called M2/M74 papers and these then counted towards my next qualification in nails!

I then did my advanced nails at college and got thrown into this deluge of letters, qualifications that is thoroughly confusing! I am awaiting the diploma which I presume will be IHBC in advanced nail techniques and is Unit 19. I used all three systems within my training, albeit gel was self taught! I also have an IHBC nail art diploma. Do I have a complete NVQ in nails if there is such a thing? With the introduction of NVQ 3 in nails this autumn, what if anything would I have to do to attain this?

Yours, very confused!

Hi Confused!

I can see why you are! I'll do what I can to explain but it is worth remembering that some of the Awarding Bodies award their own qualifications PLUS NVQ's and they are similar but different. I am not sure, though, that IHBC award NVQ's.

Your Diploma, because it includes electrical and body treatments (plus all the other stuff) is the equivilent of the current Beauty Therapy Level 3.

The next one you did needed your ana/phy updating and the Diploma included the H&S and business studies (each Diploma has it's own combination of modules/units that may or may not cross over with another)
These extra bits may be included in the nails Diploma which is why it is 'counted toward' i.e. you don't have to do it again.

Your Advanced Nail Techniques is similar, but not the same, as Unit 19. It is as good though.

If you want to do a NVQ Level 3 in Nail Services there is loads more to do I'm afraid. Look at www.habia.org in 'downloads' where it will show you the full units required.

Unit 19 does not transfer across exactly but is closer to the new Unit BT22 in Level 3.

The new qualifications have only just come into being and most of the FE colleges don't know too much about them yet (even though they would have been given details over a year ago!!) The Awarding Bodies, like IHBC will take some time to convert them to their own qualifications.

Sorry if this has made it more confusing still! If you do want to further your education (and you don't have to) all that you have done so far will go a very long way towards what next you want to do.

Marian

Thanks Marian that has helped. I shall wait to see whether it appears to be worth doing. I shall be interested to see what qualification actually arrives through my door soon, because I did do Unit 19 (at least that's what the paperwork said!)

Latest posts

Back