Qualifications for mobile nail studio

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Katy Schweiger

Reaction score
Hi,

I moved from Germany to London one year ago and have now decided to start a business as mobile nail studio. My question is what qualifications do I need for starting this business? (legally) I attended a 8-day training course two years ago in Germany but am not sure if it is accepted here in UK. Can anyone advice or tell me what institutions I have to contact?

Thanks for your help

Katy Schweiger

Katy Schweiger said:
Hi,

I moved from Germany to London one year ago and have now decided to start a business as mobile nail studio. My question is what qualifications do I need for starting this business? (legally) I attended a 8-day training course two years ago in Germany but am not sure if it is accepted here in UK. Can anyone advice or tell me what institutions I have to contact?

Thanks for your help

Katy Schweiger
Halli hallo halloechen,
Welcome to the board , if you can tell us who you did your training with in germany and your location in London, it might help a little.............
So far the law is pretty flexible when it comes to mobile Technicians.........
The best thing to do is, get in touch with your local council and ask for the licensing department...............they will have all the information you will require............Also you will need insurance, beauty direct have a a program just for nail Techs..............
viel glueck
alles liebe Ruth x

There is no legal requirement for you to be qualified in most areas of the UK. Contact your local council to be sure that they do not have any restrictions in you local area.

You will need insurance to work, and the companies providing the insurance will want you to have done some training. They all have their own rules so you will need to contact them to be sure but I would suggest that they would accept your existing qualifications. You will only then be insured to work in the systems in which you have trained.

To purchase products, most wholesalers will want to see your insurance certificate. Some (mostly mail order) suppliers, generally retailing higher end products will want you to train using their products before they will supply, but this is generally not expensive. This will help you to get the best from the product.

It is generally thought that licensing will come into effect nationally within the next few years, this will likely require a nationally recognised qualification such as an NVQ unit 19 which you can study for at a college or with many private trainers. You may find you existing training will count towards it.

for assistance check out www.professionalbeauty.co.uk They are one of the insurers.

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Halli hallo halloechen,

Welcome to the board , if you can tell us who you did your training with in germany and your location in London, it might help a little.............
So far the law is pretty flexible when it comes to mobile Technicians.........
The best thing to do is, get in touch with your local council and ask for the licensing department...............they will have all the information you will require............Also you will need insurance, beauty direct have a a program just for nail Techs..............
viel glueck
alles liebe Ruth x
Hallo Ruth,

are you from Germany aswell? I live in Enfield (North London) and I did my training with Saremco Cosmetics in gel technics. Does this mean that I am only allowed to offer Gel? I have the impression that the demand for Gel here in London is quite low.

Katy

Katy Schweiger said:
Hallo Ruth,

are you from Germany aswell? I live in Enfield (North London) and I did my training with Saremco Cosmetics in gel technics. Does this mean that I am only allowed to offer Gel? I have the impression that the demand for Gel here in London is quite low.

Katy
Hi Katy...........
Yep from Germany too, Muenster/Westf.
but have been in the wintery Uk for about 25 years..........
So whats your hometown???
Acrylic or L&P as we call it is the most popular so far............
But new Gel products are coming onto the market and there is definatley a need for great Gel Techs here in the UK................
the year 2004 will see some changes and Gel will be just as popular soon as the other systems...........
I just have a hunch...............
If you are only trained in Gel's and have not cross trained then yes, most councils like to see qualifications supporting what you are offering..........
Tschuessi x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back