qualifications to do makeup or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niksaki

Reaction score
Do you have to have qualifications to do special occasionmakeup? or can you just do it anyway? i realise this may be different in other countries but any information welcome, thanks nic

Professionally , and recieve payment for it..I am going to gander a yes. There is still the hygiene/sanitation side of it that you learn in schooling. I do believe that it would be taught in the skin geek class. :D along with waxing etc.

Do you have to have qualifications to do special occasionmakeup? or can you just do it anyway? i realise this may be different in other countries but any information welcome, thanks nic

Here in the UK you have to have a qualification and public liability insurance.to do all treatments .

Ruby x

my training incorporated, day make-up, corrective, special occasion and bridal, not sure how others are done, if there is a basic make-up level and you add the further training.
Special ocasion make-up requires knowledge of corrective makeup, facial shapes etc... and in the uk shouldn't really be offered without training, although some still do hth xxx:)

My NVQ2 covers make-up (day, special and evening) but I haven't been that impressed with the tutor who taught us. In NVQ3 we can do an add on of catwalk and show make-up.

In my level 2 we have covered day, evening, special occaision and corrective. But as part of the course we have aslo had training from Tracy Eunson of Art Deco which covered bridal and cat walk. In fact as an extension of my course in a couple of weeks I'm doing the make up for a college fahion show too which I can use in my portfolio.

So having said that I think that my course has covered the lot!!

If I were a paying client though I would want my MUA to have also covered all of those areas too. And as said before you must be qualified in order to have insurance.

I think I must say this about every fortnight....the best education you can get is from assisting a more experienced artist. You will have to assist for free and be willing to do anything (to do with makeup, that is!) and be flexible time-wise. Lots of artists looking for assistants will prefer them to have a good knowledge of the basics, so completing a course at a reputable makeup school will be beneficial. Having said that, I believe Ruby Hammer went straight in as an assistant, with no prior experience.

Regards insurance, completing a course on the basics should be sufficient to get you some! :green:

I think here it's a Cert 2 to do special occasion makeup or a diploma if you want to do the whole makeup artist thing.

I think I must say this about every fortnight....the best education you can get is from assisting a more experienced artist. You will have to assist for free and be willing to do anything (to do with makeup, that is!) and be flexible time-wise. Lots of artists looking for assistants will prefer them to have a good knowledge of the basics, so completing a course at a reputable makeup school will be beneficial. Having said that, I believe Ruby Hammer went straight in as an assistant, with no prior experience.

Regards insurance, completing a course on the basics should be sufficient to get you some! :green:

i second what amy is saying i would still recommend doing a course as they is alot more to being a makeup artist then just slapping on someones face. you need to know about skin types, face shapes, contra-indications, highlighting + shading and alot more

Latest posts

Back