Qualifications???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

too_dam_perfect

Reaction score
Which is the higher level qualification? diploma or nvq? can someone please inform me of the qualification hierarchy structures for nail technician qualifications please?!!!

well there are different levels of nvq an nvq 4 is the same standard as a diploma

It would be helpful if youfilled in your profile properly so that we can tell if you have done any nail training already or not. It is also nice to know a bit more about fellow Geeks and makes it easer to respond fully to queries.

If you are in London, it may be more worthwhile for you to do your NVQ as you need it to work in Westmninster or Camden and more boroughs are introducing the requirement too. Have a look at Mum's thread which is helpful:

NVQ.......who?
mum

Also do a search on 'NVQ' or 'Qualifications' and many more threads will come up.

I also have a question related to this - I have completed the Creative Foundation course and wanted to do the NVQ, would I still have to go to college and learn all the systems again or can I be assessed for the NVQ another way? I have read lots of threads about the NVQ but can't find the answer to this! I don'y mean to hijack your thread but I think it will be useful info for both of us!! :hug:

Dont worry natalie, id like to know as much as i can, so your questions are welcome. I havent started training yet, i have a fulltime job so i need to do a home learn course, im intending to do an essential nails diploma in acrylic, and at some point also in airbrushing and gel. im one of those who want to master everything i possibly can, lol. Is there somewhere that offers nvq home learning course??? Also, i am still not clear on the difference between the diplomas and the nvqs, which are higher qualifications?

NatalieJ said:
I also have a question related to this - I have completed the Creative Foundation course and wanted to do the NVQ, would I still have to go to college and learn all the systems again or can I be assessed for the NVQ another way? I have read lots of threads about the NVQ but can't find the answer to this! I don'y mean to hijack your thread but I think it will be useful info for both of us!! :hug:
You could have been assessed for your NVQ at the same time as you did your Foundation Course with CND, all you had to do was register with them for this and attend extra assessment days with a model (extra payment needed for these). This is much cheaper way of doing your NVQ, this is all explained in the back of the Academy folio which lists all the courses.:D :D

On the Brentwood academy website http://www.brentwoodacademy.co.uk/ it shows two steps at starting nail technician training - is it essential to complete the manicure and pedicure course before starting enhancements? cos i was thinking of just starting straight to the acrylic enhancements diploma offered by EN. Also is any aware if such an acrylic course also shows manicures? im expecting not, but its just a thought, figured i would check!

too_dam_perfect said:
On the Brentwood academy website http://www.brentwoodacademy.co.uk/ it shows two steps at starting nail technician training - is it essential to complete the manicure and pedicure course before starting enhancements? cos i was thinking of just starting straight to the acrylic enhancements diploma offered by EN. Also is any aware if such an acrylic course also shows manicures? im expecting not, but its just a thought, figured i would check!

The initial nail course I did covered manicure BEFORE we went on to the enhancement stage.I think you do need to this first.:D

Hi Son

Training is probably one of the most discussed topics on here, use the search option and have a read through the threads.

If you put 'Essential nails' in the search you'll find loads of posts about the courses, there's good points, and bad, and lots of impartial advice. The same applies for all the courses and companies available. I think at some point over the past 3 years we've posted about just about all of them :lol:

Urban Geek's advice earlier about Marian Newmans' post is the best advice you can get. Marian (aka 'Mum' username on here) is involved in the creation of the NVQ for Nails, there is no better advice than hers.

Regarding your question about a manicure course before enhancements, it's purely dependant on what training you choose to undertake. If you were to take a Creative 5 Day Foundation course, then I would say no, it's not necessary, they cover everything you could need. Other courses may not be so thorough in their basic training.

Have fun reading up on past posts, you'll be so clued up by the time you finish you'll be a training expert :lol:

Marilyn said:
You could have been assessed for your NVQ at the same time as you did your Foundation Course with CND, all you had to do was register with them for this and attend extra assessment days with a model (extra payment needed for these). This is much cheaper way of doing your NVQ, this is all explained in the back of the Academy folio which lists all the courses.:D :D

yeah I enquired about beig assessed for the NVQ at the same time as my creative foundation as this is what I wanted to do but the nearest assesor was in Milton Keynes which is too far so I couldn't do it, so I wondered how I would go about doing it now, would I have to go to college?

Latest posts

Back